Hello

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Re: Hello

Post by homie »

Curious about this product, seems like a decent solution. So you ride these with bare hands right? Because you'd need to get in and out quickly during your ride. They would be ideal if no other glove was needed and you could get in thoughtlessly rather than fumbling around at a stop light. No way I could keep my hands in them contently. Please address this practical use question.

btw forecasters are tagging US with a mild winter this time... WOOT!
wojtek_pl
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014 PCX 125
Color: matt black

Post by wojtek_pl »

I ride with gloves. All the time. Just different gloves when it's warm and cold. I have two pairs. Very sensible purchase. In the morning the cold ones, in the afternoon - warm gloves (meaning the gloves I use WHEN it's warm :D ).
So to answer your question I ride with 'cold' gloves inside muffs. Gloves are for protection and for warmth. I don't think bare hands would survive even in muffs. It's just too cold. Perhaps electric grip heater would allow you to use bare hands, but I doubt...
Clothing is VERY different when you ride a motorcycle. The wind-chill effect is huge. Basically, when it's below 20C I consider it cold and have to dress like moron :lol: with windproof equipment.
Regards
Wojtek
2014 Honda PCX 125
Steph
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013 150cc
Color: Black PCX

Post by Steph »

The handlebar muffs look enticing to me too. But, I do have to remove my hands from the handlebar once an awhile to keep them from falling asleep and fear not being able to get my hands back on the bars quick enough in an emergency.
wojtek_pl
Regular User
Regular User

Post by wojtek_pl »

Yeah, that may be an issue. Without muffs I would say that only electric gloves and grips could keep your hands warm.

Also I must say, that thick gloves and muffs are a bit too much in +10 Celsius. :)
Regards
Wojtek
2014 Honda PCX 125
wojtek_pl
Regular User
Regular User

Post by wojtek_pl »

homie wrote:Curious about this product, seems like a decent solution. So you ride these with bare hands right? (...)
You know... bare hands are not such a bad idea in terms of temperature. There is practically no wind inside the muffs. Only brake levers are cold ;) . I wouldn't dare to ride with bare hands but with summer gloves, yes I tried that (+10Celsius) and it was very comfortable.

Oh, and I really don't like drizzle. I don't mind the rain. It washes off dirt from the road that in drizzle ends up on your bike, on you and on your helmet. Also big raindrops are easily blown away from my helmet visor. So good solid rain is not an issue. The autumn this year in Poland is pretty dry however. Good for riding, bad for environment...
Regards
Wojtek
2014 Honda PCX 125
SECoda
Honda Forza 300 &
Honda Forza 300 &

Post by SECoda »

I just got back from a 46 F ride and the new Thick/Thin pullover was great I believe Steph recommended under my GMax GM54S modular helmet. I was toasty with sport thinsulated gloves.
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2019
Color: Black

Post by Alibally »

I don't find the cold a problem. It's the driving rain, wind and salt on the road I object to.
wojtek_pl
Regular User
Regular User

Post by wojtek_pl »

Yes, gusts of wind are annoying. So far no snow or salt on the road. This is my first season on two wheels, remember. I can and probably will use a car when snowing or really bad conditions occur. Like - 20 Celsius. But I'll see, maybe it won't be that bad. After all "there is no bad weather, only bad clothing". ;)
Regards
Wojtek
2014 Honda PCX 125
wojtek_pl
Regular User
Regular User

Post by wojtek_pl »

OK. Just bought last piece of clothing - the boots. Now I have: those boots, trousers, jacket, neck warmers and no excuse to not ride. ;) Even in winter conditions. :)
Regards
Wojtek
2014 Honda PCX 125
Steph
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013 150cc
Color: Black PCX

Post by Steph »

I need good boots. believe it or not, my feet got cold in my snowmobile boots when riding in 34 degrees F. temps.
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2015
Color: White

Post by Valiant »

Steph wrote:I need good boots. believe it or not, my feet got cold in my snowmobile boots when riding in 34 degrees F. temps.
Numb kind of cold or just an uncomfortable cold?

You can try the Darn Tough brand of Merino Wool socks, maybe even see if they have extra thick ones specifically for winter.
wojtek_pl
Regular User
Regular User

Post by wojtek_pl »

Here are some updates.
Got buzzers for indicators installed. Two of them as indicators are LEDs so one-way current. ;) One buzzer for left, one for right, no problem. Funny when you turn on the hazard lamps... :) Though, those buzzers ARE hard to hear when riding at speed. I might turn them off permanently (disconnect the power from battery).
Got my coolant temperature indicator installed. It shows 117C when riding. :) Probably it's meant for older version of PCX, not for 2014. Or requires some programming. No problem I can subtract exactly 30C and have real temp. Works like a charm. :D

My Heidenau K66 All Season tires are working good, so far I made 2800 km on them. This is how they look now:
Front:
Image Image

Rear:
Image Image Image

I might have too much tire pressure. I need to check it now, when it's warm.

Going to 4000km service on Wednesday. Those services are expensive, just like car's ... :(
Regards
Wojtek
2014 Honda PCX 125
wojtek_pl
Regular User
Regular User

Post by wojtek_pl »

Still alive. :lol:

It's hot here, 30 Celsius. Measured engine temp is up to 8 C more than regular 86 C.

Also riding 100 km/h instead of the usual 80 km/h brings temp from usual 86 C to 96 - 97 C; that was measured with 20 - 23 C outside temperature.

Personal observations: riding 70 km/h is quiet and leisure. 80 km/h is much more noisy ;) . 100km/h is only for emergency and highway - lots of noise and vibrations, though it may be specific to my PCX only.
Regards
Wojtek
2014 Honda PCX 125
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

wojtek_pl wrote:Here are some updates.
Got buzzers for indicators installed. Two of them as indicators are LEDs so one-way current. ;) One buzzer for left, one for right, no problem. Funny when you turn on the hazard lamps... :) Though, those buzzers ARE hard to hear when riding at speed. I might turn them off permanently (disconnect the power from battery).
Got my coolant temperature indicator installed. It shows 117C when riding. :) Probably it's meant for older version of PCX, not for 2014. Or requires some programming. No problem I can subtract exactly 30C and have real temp. Works like a charm. :D

My Heidenau K66 All Season tires are working good, so far I made 2800 km on them. This is how they look now:
Front:
Image Image

Rear:
Image Image Image

I might have too much tire pressure. I need to check it now, when it's warm.

Going to 4000km service on Wednesday. Those services are expensive, just like car's ... :(
Excellent. The essence of modding in one post
wojtek_pl
Regular User
Regular User

Post by wojtek_pl »

Again, still alive. :D
Just ordered new rear shock absorbers YSS Z-series http://www.powerbypcx.com/en/accessorie ... v2-v3.html

8000 km on the counter.
So far, only one problem with engine stopping while opening the throttle from idle. Happened four times. I heard it's quite common on PCX; TPS needs recalibration or something; done on warranty, should be fine for a year or so. :)

I just thought about changing scooter to something bigger/else. Tested:
- new Forza 125 -> hard ride, slower start than PCX, bigger top speed, totally useless, i mean ABSOLUTELY useless rear view mirrors, a bit cramped riding position; not worth the change, though ABS is nice
- Yamaha X-Max 125 - nice ride, nice mirrors, really crouching place to sit on; how do they make those "bigger" scooters that they have less legroom...?!? not worth the change
- Yamaha N-Max 125 - softer ride than PCX, roughly the same speed and acceleration feeling, vibrations (though it may be, because it was a new one with 100km odo), LOTS of leg room, more than PCX has, kinda stupid dashboard; could be PCX replacement with some bigger windshield, but not worth the change now, though having ABS is tempting.
- I sit on Suzuki Burgman 400... Man... this one is made especially for me... I just signed to a full motorcycle driving license course. :)
Regards
Wojtek
2014 Honda PCX 125
wojtek_pl
Regular User
Regular User

Post by wojtek_pl »

And just for fun: my Heidenau tires after 7000km. :)

Front:

Rear:
Regards
Wojtek
2014 Honda PCX 125
lolofigo
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2012
Color: Silver

Post by lolofigo »

wojtek_pl wrote:And just for fun: my Heidenau tires after 7000km. :)

Front:

Rear:
That's some gentle driving. Here are mine after 2000 miles
uploadfromtaptalk1461754530622.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1461754530622.jpg (64.23 KiB) Viewed 1257 times
uploadfromtaptalk1461754510869.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1461754510869.jpg (67.86 KiB) Viewed 1257 times
Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
wojtek_pl
Regular User
Regular User

Post by wojtek_pl »

Small and Big in one picture. :)

Regards
Wojtek
2014 Honda PCX 125
wojtek_pl
Regular User
Regular User

Post by wojtek_pl »

lolofigo wrote: That's some gentle driving. Here are mine after 2000 miles

Not really. :) Full throttle from every red-to-green light. :D

But I drive solo.
Regards
Wojtek
2014 Honda PCX 125
wojtek_pl
Regular User
Regular User

Post by wojtek_pl »

I just got the package with new YSS shock absorbers. Tomorrow I plan to install them. :)
Regards
Wojtek
2014 Honda PCX 125