powder coat... dangerous?

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

powder coat... dangerous?

Post by homie »

Alloy rims which is what we have on PCX might become molecularly unstable after oven baking temperatures. I can't get comfortable with these images and as much as I want white rims... I just don't know :cry:

Paint or maybe nothing. As hard as we hit pot holes on 14" wheels, I don't think I can send mine out.

here is one story with pictures
http://www.toyotagtturbo.com/forums/sho ... s-BAD-IDEA
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Re: powder coat... dangerous?

Post by homie »

quoting

This question comes up a lot on all kinds of car and bike forums - here is one answer.

'A word of caution regarding the powder coating of aluminum.

Forged alloy wheels are desirable because they are known to be both strong and lightweight. To achieve these characteristics, they are typically manufactured from 6061-T6 grade aluminum. At some time during the manufacturing process this alloy must undergo a two-step thermal process in order for it to attain the desired mechanical properties, which include high strength and resistance to fatigue. These thermal processing or heat treating steps are known as solution treatment (985°F) and artificial aging (350°F). With forged 6061 aluminum, the artificial aging step requires the material to be held at 350°F for about 8 hours.

The majority of powder coating materials require a cure temperature ranging from 300 to 400°F with a cure time of about 1 hour. Since this overlaps the temperature of the artificial aging step, the powder coating process has the potential to "overage" the aluminum causing embrittlement and reduced fatigue life.

Recent advances in powder coating compounds have brought about lower cure temperatures of 250°F. These new powder coating compounds are more desirable, since they do not impact the prior thermal processing steps for heat treatable alloys such as 6061-T6 aluminum.

When considering powder coating of heat treatable aluminum alloys (6000 and 7000 series), it is always advisable to confirm that the temperature of the part will not exceed 300°F. Ignoring this fact may result in a sudden and unexpected failure of a critical component. A critical failure in a forged alloy wheel could ruin not just one, but possibly the rest of your days.

Before allowing someone to powder coat your forged aluminum wheels, ask them to use a lower cure temperature (250°F) compound and to maintain the temperature below 300°F at all times while they are processing your wheels.'

If you can't find someone who can use the lower temperature you can always go with paint.

yea I don't think this is worth the cosmetics... I'm out
but my next bike will come with factory SHAY WHITEY rims :o o_O 8) :lol: :lol: :lol:
Steph
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013 150cc
Color: Black PCX

Post by Steph »

I'll pass. Don't need brittle wheels.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

White rims are a total p.i.t.a. to keep clean, they look grubby in no time.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

gn2 wrote:White rims are a total p.i.t.a. to keep clean, they look grubby in no time.
Steph wrote:I'll pass. Don't need brittle wheels.
I might have beaten the dirt and grim without a chain drive but can you imagine the horror of having your (front or rear) spokes break off on a pot hole or speed bump, wow I'm surprised there isn't legislation regarding PC and aluminum wheels on cars and bikes.
pcxpower
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: White

Post by pcxpower »

homie wrote: wow I'm surprised there isn't legislation regarding PC and aluminum wheels on cars and bikes.
Thank you very much for the information, and about legislation, I'm sure that (at least in Spain) if one powdercoats his/her wheels and they fail while driving, and because of the failed wheel, there is an accident with someone injured or killed, the insurance company would investigate the reason of the fail, and if they discover that the wheel had been powdercoated, and it caused the problem, this would bring lots of problems... :o :o :o :o
2015 Honda PCX 125
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

gn2 wrote:White rims are a total p.i.t.a. to keep clean, they look grubby in no time.
Mine aren't

Are we sure our wheels are forged rather than cast?