Keeping and completely modifying low mileage 2012 stock PCX

Drivetrain upgrades, engine upgrades, or any other mods to gain speed or acceleration.

Moderator: Modsquad

djcat
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2012
Color: Black

Keeping and completely modifying low mileage 2012 stock PCX

Post by djcat »

Hello everyone,

I´ve been on here previously and even mentioned that I would sell the PCX because I had a big bike that I was using every day. Ironically, I just sold that one and still have the PCX, which is still in the garage with not many more miles on it then it had a year before. The wife just likes to have it for the occasional two up fun ride and she says its not expensive to keep it at all. If wife says so, so it must be :-)

Now I want to make a few improvements to it, as it will be more of a fun machine for sunny weekends two up riding:

- Humpless more comfy seat
- Better rear shocks (YSS gas shocks)
- better front brakes (probably TRW or Brembo pads)
- big bore kit
- another variator for higher top speed
- LED headlight bulbs
- visi billet LED sidelights
- LED rear light
- Nautilus horn

I will not have time to make the modifications myself and I can´t be bothered with getting another scooter. Hence I will probably spend a few quid handing it over to the dealer who I trust. Today my 2012 Mk I scooter is stock, I was wondering if you can please list the sites where you got your parts from so that I have the best parts and deal possible. Once I got all parts and everything is done (probably around beginning of December) of course I will upload some pictures.

Thank you!
djcat
Regular User
Regular User

Re: Keeping and completely modifying low mileage 2012 stock

Post by djcat »

Ah, forgot to post that I will also change the tyres as I hate the original IRCs. I consider that a performance mod.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

Isn't it better to sell it and buy one of the new ones? For the money your going to spend modifing the old one?
djcat
Regular User
Regular User

Post by djcat »

iceman wrote:Isn't it better to sell it and buy one of the new ones? For the money your going to spend modifing the old one?
No.
chainsaw
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013 150esp
Color: white/carbon

Post by chainsaw »

http://japan.webike.net/HONDA/PCX125/6188/mtop/

this site has everything on your list, some things are a bit pricy but most bits are in stock and get sent out very quickly.I have gone over my scoot front to rear doing all the work myself getting almost all the parts through webike.
Attachments
WP_20140227_004.jpg
WP_20140227_004.jpg (122.13 KiB) Viewed 1706 times
djcat
Regular User
Regular User

Post by djcat »

chainsaw wrote:http://japan.webike.net/HONDA/PCX125/6188/mtop/

this site has everything on your list, some things are a bit pricy but most bits are in stock and get sent out very quickly.I have gone over my scoot front to rear doing all the work myself getting almost all the parts through webike.
That

Looks

Cool !

Thanks, keep them URLs coming :D
djcat
Regular User
Regular User

Post by djcat »

BTW: How comfy is your seat compared to the stock one? Is it ok for the pillion passenger, too? Looks nice!
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

be a sport and fill in your profile so we can see your PCX's year and where you hail from brother
ScooterMan
Regular User
Regular User

Post by ScooterMan »

Not a bad call to mod a 125. I mean, if you're going to be putting a fresh piston & cylinder on it anyway, why buy something new? Interesteed to see/hear the results. I would like to do a big bore kit, but am uneasy about it all. The question of who did the tuning for the maps, the instructions in japanese, and I'm even a former motorcycle mechanic. I can handle the parts install, I just have trust issues with parts quality. Plus, after all, I feel like if I want more power, I should just get something bigger. And yet, I modify every vehicle I have for more power! I'm just new to doing it on scooters personally. But I would love some extra kick! Worried about reliability, tuning issues, and a hit to the MPG. I don't need more accel, I just want more sustainable top speed that isn't so reliant on drafting, wind conditions, having to tuck, etc.
2015 PCX 150 (White)[/color]
Top speed 76mph(2015) 79mph (2013)with NCY variator & Drive Face
dasshreddar
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: forzaruckuspcx
Color: black

Post by dasshreddar »

Since your in the UK check out rzracing.nl for power needs.
djcat
Regular User
Regular User

Post by djcat »

Sorry, I didn´t realize my details weren´t filled in. Am in the UK and my scooter is a 2012 PCX with about 1800 miles on it. I can´t be bothered to a) get less money for such well kept ride and b) go through all that hazzle to sell it and buy another one. Its in as new condition and I think that with a few tweaks it can safely be upgraded.

The whole point of this project is to have a just for fun ride on sunny days for me and the wife. It was bought as the first set of wheels for her, then it was considered as a potential commuting tool for me and the outcome was that it just sat in the garage because we both found other ways of getting around. We quite like the few days we just merrily and stress freely went to places two up. We got away on it to the lake to feed the ducks, went for a joyful ride in the countryside two up and even a few times on longer trips. We just had a wonderful time for the two of us when we got away from it all for a few moments.

That is the whole point of it.

And we want to keep the memories coming, we learned that a few nice rides on a little scooter can be more fun then an expensive plane ticket to a sunny place or a long weekend on the big bike somewhere else. All I think it needs is a few tweaks to make it a little comfier for her, to take a little more weight uphill with ease and to improve its handling. We just want our little scooter, not a brand new one full of bells and whistles.
djcat
Regular User
Regular User

Post by djcat »

Cheers guys for the feedback, great to have more sources for the parts.

Based on this forum and also some others, I guess that the 170cc Takegawa kit is more robust then the 164c Yuminashi one so thats the one I am going for. Will also go for the higher final drive, YSS shocks and new tyres plus a different seat.

Calling my dealer he didn´t want to handle it, another bike mechanic I know also said he didn´t like to work on scooters...then I called a proper scooter mechanic and he can do all the mods for GBP 130 and three hours. Sounds very reasonable to me.

Insurance and higher tax due to higher cc is also not bad, hence I will go for it next month.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

djcat - upping the cc's I gather your on an A2 or full licence? I would love to move away from the basic CBT, or at least get an A1/A2, but even an A2 looks to be about £600!
djcat
Regular User
Regular User

Post by djcat »

iceman wrote:djcat - upping the cc's I gather your on an A2 or full licence? I would love to move away from the basic CBT, or at least get an A1/A2, but even an A2 looks to be about £600!

I have a full licence for around seven years now. Have owned bikes with literally 10 times the power and three times the weight of a PCX, but when it comes to enjoy two wheeled motoring, its not all about brisk riding (at least not for me).

I paid somewhat more to get my direct access course, then another 130 Pounds for my IAM advanced motorist certificate, plus 100 to 150 each for 3 advanced close circuit trainings (not racetrack days) on bikes and cars and am going to spend 170 Euros for an all day training course in closed circuits in Latvia in November (car). You shouldn´t see it as something you pay for a piece of plastic, but for a lifetime of safe riding, enjoyment and cheap commuting. For that, its next to nothing (to say in fact, I know people who spend three times as much a year in fags...).
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2019

Post by Alibally »

Fags = cigarettes for all you US members. I hope that's what was meant anyway!