Takegawa 170cc Bore Up Kit

Drivetrain upgrades, engine upgrades, or any other mods to gain speed or acceleration.

Moderator: Modsquad

Branyers
Regular User
Regular User

Takegawa 170cc Bore Up Kit

Post by Branyers »

Seeking input on this kit. I am looking for something that will get me to 80 mph with relative ease. Currently I am running a Daytona variator and upgraded clutch and bell. Bottom end is fantastic, very grunty but she tops out around 73mph. Is 80mph a realistic expectation for this kit with my current setup, and how much will the kit affect my fuel economy? Right now I get 90+ mpg if I am easy on the throttle. If I really get on it, fuel economy falls to around 75mpg. So, is it a worthwhile and cost effective upgrade?

Any and all input is welcome and appreciated.
Pcxdemon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Takegawa 170cc Bore Up Kit

Post by Pcxdemon »

I have to say this...yuminashi big bore is better. Why? Well it's slightly smaller than takegawa in cc's and that will give you a safety margin regarding head gasket space between water jacket and combustion chamber. It means there is less likely a chance of head gasket failure and a leak. Point 2, it uses a single layer gasket like a Honda stock gasket which also means of less failure than a triple layer takegawa gasket. Point 3, because it's a single layer gasket, compression is higher which means it will be more powerful than takegawa kit.
However takegawa is good kit as well, but, when my head gasket failed after 5000km,their reply was 'head gasket is a consumable part and it's advised to replace gasket after 5000km...also,it's made for racing application so no warranty afterwards is given unless you have received defective product and they would replace it immediately..
ScooterMan
Regular User
Regular User

Post by ScooterMan »

Pcxdemon wrote:I have to say this...yuminashi big bore is better. Why? Well it's slightly smaller than takegawa in cc's and that will give you a safety margin regarding head gasket space between water jacket and combustion chamber. It means there is less likely a chance of head gasket failure and a leak. Point 2, it uses a single layer gasket like a Honda stock gasket which also means of less failure than a triple layer takegawa gasket. Point 3, because it's a single layer gasket, compression is higher which means it will be more powerful than takegawa kit.
However takegawa is good kit as well, but, when my head gasket failed after 5000km,their reply was 'head gasket is a consumable part and it's advised to replace gasket after 5000km...also,it's made for racing application so no warranty afterwards is given unless you have received defective product and they would replace it immediately..
Very intelligent response, and very good reasoning. A higher compression ratio will will make up more power than the 6cc with that thinner base gasket. Or, at least do a fair amount to cover that ground.

PCX Demon, what sort of fuel economy are you getting with yours?
2015 PCX 150 (White)[/color]
Top speed 76mph(2015) 79mph (2013)with NCY variator & Drive Face
Pcxdemon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Pcxdemon »

ScooterMan wrote:
Pcxdemon wrote:I have to say this...yuminashi big bore is better. Why? Well it's slightly smaller than takegawa in cc's and that will give you a safety margin regarding head gasket space between water jacket and combustion chamber. It means there is less likely a chance of head gasket failure and a leak. Point 2, it uses a single layer gasket like a Honda stock gasket which also means of less failure than a triple layer takegawa gasket. Point 3, because it's a single layer gasket, compression is higher which means it will be more powerful than takegawa kit.
Very intelligent response, and very good reasoning. A higher compression ratio will will make up more power than the 6cc with that thinner base gasket. Or, at least do a fair amount to cover that ground.

With the lot that I've got, I'm still getting 200km per 6l on average, sometimes bit better than that. If I use bigger screen I get 200km per 5.7l...fuel economy is no worse that when it was a still as 125 but modes with exhaust,vario with lighter weights, filter..
Pcxdemon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Pcxdemon »

Pcxdemon wrote:
ScooterMan wrote:

With the lot that I've got, I'm still getting 200km per 6l on average, sometimes bit better than that. If I use bigger screen I get 200km per 5.7l...fuel economy is no worse that when it was a still as 125 but modes with exhaust,vario with lighter weights, filter..
I better add as well, my riding is always or almost at wot...had to do that when it was 125 to stay ahead of traffic and now just cos I like speed and thrill. That doesn't help my fuel consumption but the point is fuel consumption is unchanged from 125 to 164 or 170...
Branyers
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Branyers »

So what kind of top speeds are you guys getting with either the Yuminsahi or Takegawa kits?

And what about the 175 kit Yuminashi offers? It's shown on their website...
Pcxdemon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Pcxdemon »

Branyers wrote:So what kind of top speeds are you guys getting with either the Yuminsahi or Takegawa kits?

And what about the 175 kit Yuminashi offers? It's shown on their website...
Without upgrading your transmition you will see no gain in top end with all three kits. Out of my current set up with Takegawa vario and other bits im getting 135kmh on the road-speedo indicating and no bigger screen either..I know of 175cc kit but not much about it though..