600 mile service question

General Honda Forza 300 chat, questions about the Forza, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

hfnut

600 mile service question

Post by hfnut »

Hi everyone,
My 600 mile service is coming up soon. Is this something that I have to take to dealer to do or will it be ok to do it myself? I change my own fluids usually anyhow and I have the service manual for the Forza. My thinking is that the dealer may not really check/adjust the valves but may charge me for it. I can do this myself but I wonder if it will void the warranty if I do so. Just wondering....

Thanks,
Ron
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Re: 600 mile service question

Post by gn2 »

Valve check isn't part of the first service on the Forza.
First valve clearance check not due till 16000 miles and its shims :(
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Vesper2112
Year: 2014 Forza
Color: Red

Post by Vesper2112 »

Speaking of... What's an average cost of servicing through the dealership? It probably won't take me long to get to the 600 mile mark (maybe 2-3 weeks).
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

It shouldn't be more than 1.5 hours labour plus oil and filter.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
BRed
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2023 XMax 300
Color: Grey and black

Post by BRed »

For the Big Ruckus (in 2006), the first 600 mile service included a valve adjustment, crankcase and final drive fluid change for $140....
that was several years ago.

for the Forza it's only the oil and filter (~$20) and a visual check of all fasteners so I'll guess the final cost is $80-100.

If you do your own service, be sure to document it in the service log in the rear of your vehicle service contract.....
you don't have to have receipts but you do need dates and mileage with actual service performed and they need to be close to the stated service intervals.

As long as you keep good records, your warranty stays intact even if you do the service yourself.

The Forza final drive's long service interval (2 years) is a little worrisome...I don't think I'll wait that long.

The main thing is to know the complete service schedule for your scoot and then decide what you can handle and what the dealership needs to do....
some of the messy jobs, like replacing the brake fluid, front fork oil or engine coolant, are also some of the most important services and you don't want to skip or delay them.

The 16000 mile check up is the big one for the Forza and it will require more than basic vehicle maintenance skills.
Everything else + valves & belt .... it means a complete teardown of the rear body/luggage box and CVT and probably a couple of days of shop time, unless you schedule it in colder months.

This one will be expensive....plan on it. :(
danieljw
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: RED

Post by danieljw »

remember the service needs to be registered with honda for your warranty.

if you service the bike ourself, and the service isn't registered with honda, and your engine happens to go BOOM,

honda will not cover you.
Honda PCX125 - 1000miles

drol343
Year: Forza 2014 ABS
Color: Forza Red

Post by drol343 »

Hey daniejw,

So if I change my oil, and keep excellent records... I still need to register the service with Honda?

What does registering an Oil Change with Honda entail?

Thanks.
drol343 (USA)
Dennis
2014 Honda FORZA NSS300A
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

drol343 wrote:What does registering an Oil Change with Honda entail?
you drive by Honda in this manner... it will register

<removed picture of an ass, let's keep it civil here... - Admin>
hfnut

Post by hfnut »

Well, I just went ahead a took it to the shop. The cost was $116 dollars....kinda pricy for what amounts to an oil change but what can you do??? At least the warranty is still good. Well, I guess the price wasn't too bad considering $116 dollars is equivalent to about 28 pence now :lol: :roll: Seriously, I usually go to London a couple of times a year and it was almost 2 to 1 dollars to sterling in July...ooh looky green loo paper!!!!
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

homie wrote:
drol343 wrote:What does registering an Oil Change with Honda entail?
you drive by Honda in this manner... it will register

:D :D :D
stephen

Post by stephen »

I too rolled past 600 miles last week, so I need an oil change. I called my dealer and was quoted $65. I have the tools and materials (torque wrench, filter wrench, oil collection pan and instructions), so I think that I'll do it myself. I did it on my Zuma and my Harley with no issues.

The local Honda auto dealership does an oil change with a tire rotation for $40, but I guess that's to get people to wander into the showroom. I just hand over my keys and sit down to free coffee and a doughnut.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

tire rotation < does that mean they swap front/back to even out wear?
hfnut

Post by hfnut »

iceman wrote:tire rotation < does that mean they swap front/back to even out wear?
I guess that it means they spin them whilst still on the bike!!!!! Hahaha....looky they go round and round...check....next item....
hfnut

Post by hfnut »

stephen wrote:I too rolled past 600 miles last week, so I need an oil change. I called my dealer and was quoted $65. I have the tools and materials (torque wrench, filter wrench, oil collection pan and instructions), so I think that I'll do it myself. I did it on my Zuma and my Harley with no issues.

The local Honda auto dealership does an oil change with a tire rotation for $40, but I guess that's to get people to wander into the showroom. I just hand over my keys and sit down to free coffee and a doughnut.
Yep, you can easily do it it yourself and save some coin. I only did it because of the warranty otherwise...no way. That will probably be the only time fir me other than tire replacement. I usually do my own valves and since I have the service manual, It shouldn't be a problem. I wonder if I could scan the section from the service manual and post it here for reference or will there be a problem with Honda for doing that?

Ron
SECoda
Honda Forza 300 &
Honda Forza 300 &

Post by SECoda »

My Honda service guy said I was registered with Honda when I bought the bike for notifications but I only need to log and date the service I do - preferable in my PCX Manual.
drol343
Year: Forza 2014 ABS
Color: Forza Red

Post by drol343 »

Honda Corporate USA said:

1) There is "no" requirement to Register any maintenance you do on your scooter
2) The only way you would get into a fix, is if you did shoddy maintenance and it caused a Warranted part to fail
3) While not required, it is good to keep your receipts from any maintenance you do
drol343 (USA)
Dennis
2014 Honda FORZA NSS300A
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

drol343 wrote:Honda Corporate USA said:

1) There is "no" requirement to Register any maintenance you do on your scooter
2) The only way you would get into a fix, is if you did shoddy maintenance and it caused a Warranted part to fail
3) While not required, it is good to keep your receipts from any maintenance you do
AW HA! I knew it
That moon looks pretty good right now. This does not mean you Brits are off the hook, but for the USA... more like guide lines, suggestion.
SECoda
Honda Forza 300 &
Honda Forza 300 &

Post by SECoda »

Well technically I bought the gallon of oil and plug crush washers from them so I am in their system with the order but you could buy the right spec oil somewhere else.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

Seems your very lucky in the states with service rules and warranty. Here in the UK even with regular servicing, if we get mechanical problems with bearings or such, I bet the dealer and Honda would play dumb and say 'wear and tear' and want to charge the earth.