Knight Riderz Sequential brake light

Cosmetic accessories, comfort accessories, windshields, luggage racks, etc.

Moderator: Modsquad

SECoda
Honda Forza 300 &
Honda Forza 300 &

Knight Riderz Sequential brake light

Post by SECoda »

I received the KRS brake light and plate frame. Looks like I need to drill one hole in the frame for the wires. What is the best way to hide and run the wires?
Bash On!
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Knight Riderz Sequential brake light

Post by Bash On! »

Do you really need to drill a hole in the frame? Do you mean a body panel? I've installed several electronic devices on motorcycles and have never drilled a frame. If drilling a body panel, choose an area that can't be seen or will be covered by the light or license frame. If you're really drilling the frame, you're on your own, as you're getting into potential structural integrity issues.

Regarding hiding and running the wires, I choose the back side of a frame member, trying to minimize exposure to the elements and avoiding potential abrasion spots. Zip ties are used for attaching the wires.
2013 PCX 150 [now an ex-bike, soon to be consigned to the bottom line of the sig]
2013 Silver Wing ABS (Black)
1971 BMW R75/5 (White)
Too many ex-bikes to list, and, besides, who really cares what we used to own?
SECoda
Honda Forza 300 &
Honda Forza 300 &

Post by SECoda »

Just the license plate frame purchased as well to hold the light. Not the bike. :) The light bar sticks to the frame but the wire comes out the back and needs a hole in the $5 frame. You can actually remove the light easily that way as well if you use wire connectors.
20140929_152128.jpg
20140929_152128.jpg (60.47 KiB) Viewed 1292 times
Bash On!
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Bash On! »

Okay, _that_ frame. Strange that it didn't already come pre-drilled, for the price they charge extra over the cost ot the brake light itself.
2013 PCX 150 [now an ex-bike, soon to be consigned to the bottom line of the sig]
2013 Silver Wing ABS (Black)
1971 BMW R75/5 (White)
Too many ex-bikes to list, and, besides, who really cares what we used to own?
kcpcx
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: Candy Rosy Red

Post by kcpcx »

I'd drill a tiny hole in the frame that would end up under the light bar, so hidden. Then another tiny hole in plastic fender just enough to run the wires through. From there, it's an easy run up inside the rear of the fender. There are three main access points to the tail section where the brake light is. If you look up in the wheel well, there is a central hole where some wiring goes through up into the tail cavity. Alternately, there are two small holes where the turn signal wiring goes from the under-fender area up into the tail cavity where the wiring and brake light bulb live.

If you were really a perfectionist, after you ran the wiring through the tiny hole you drilled in the fender from the frame, you could put a tiny dab of silicone goop on it to make it watertight, but that would be overkill.

Solid green wire is typically ground on the PCX, just FYI, if you are looking for one. Light blue solid is right turn, orange solid is left turn. There is a wiring diagram floating around here somewhere on the forum, or if you can't find it, I downloaded it and can email it to you. But it's pretty easy to figure out once you have the tail plastic off.

Lastly, I recommend a solder splice or Posi-Taps to connect. Avoid the Scotch-Lok or blade type quick connects. I've seen and heard that they fail too often in situations where exposed to vibration...i.e. a scooter.
'88 BMW R100RT
SECoda
Honda Forza 300 &
Honda Forza 300 &

Post by SECoda »

I'll use black matte shrink tubing to run the wire so it matches the black plastic. It should be virtually invisible.
SECoda
Honda Forza 300 &
Honda Forza 300 &

Post by SECoda »

It's a separate supplier.
Bash On! wrote:Okay, _that_ frame. Strange that it didn't already come pre-drilled, for the price they charge extra over the cost ot the brake light itself.
SECoda
Honda Forza 300 &
Honda Forza 300 &

Post by SECoda »

I did the easy step tonight and tested it on a battery. It looks like a small version of an 80s action show with bad acting. :lol:
20140929_212302.jpg
20140929_212302.jpg (53.47 KiB) Viewed 1267 times
SECoda
Honda Forza 300 &
Honda Forza 300 &

Post by SECoda »

Probably overkill but I will drill a hole in the fender and put a rubber grommet in so that the tube/wire seals as it goes through the black plastic fender. Old habit from airplane building days. You don't want anything rubbing or cutting wire or gas lines on airplanes and even plastic can. o_O My wife asked me if I was going to take a week to hook that light up. :lol: