Life saving tip

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Re: Life saving tip

Post by homie »

This might be a life saving tip.
Added my second accessory - fish eye mirrors. The first being a charger for my phone. Hey does two accessories constitute a mod? LOL I can actually see the ass end of the bike now.
Jarec
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Jarec »

How are those fisheyes working out for you? I've got a couple of that size for my truck that I've never mounted and have thought of putting them on the scooter.
[
quote="homie"]This might be a life saving tip.
Added my second accessory - fish eye mirrors. The first being a charger for my phone. Hey does two accessories constitute a mod? LOL I can actually see the ass end of the bike now.[/quote]
Current ride
2013 PCX150

Former rides
Yamaha c3
Honda CB360
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

Jarec wrote:How are those fisheyes working out for you?
I will tell you tomorrow when I try them out for the first time. They look promising from just sitting on the saddle. I have larger ones on my truck for years and I'm so used to them, they mostly serve to opening up the blind spot like sensors do on luxury cars but I'm hoping just to see behind my shoulders on the PCX. If these don't work I need to look into extensions because it was cool enough to wear my bigger dayglo jacket earlier this evening and the first thing I noticed was loss of rearview into the sleeves... thus a stop on the way home to the auto parts store for a cheap solution.
Jarec
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Jarec »

Looking forward to hearing more, homie.

Re extensions, I have two that came with my Givi windscreen that I'm not using, yours for the asking. They aren't huge but might help.

It took me awhile to get my mirrors right, but now I can see behind my shoulders.
homie wrote:
Jarec wrote:How are those fisheyes working out for you?
I will tell you tomorrow when I try them out for the first time. They look promising from just sitting on the saddle. I have larger ones on my truck for years and I'm so used to them, they mostly serve to opening up the blind spot like sensors do on luxury cars but I'm hoping just to see behind my shoulders on the PCX. If these don't work I need to look into extensions because it was cool enough to wear my bigger dayglo jacket earlier this evening and the first thing I noticed was loss of rearview into the sleeves... thus a stop on the way home to the auto parts store for a cheap solution.
Current ride
2013 PCX150

Former rides
Yamaha c3
Honda CB360
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Post by kramnala58 »

There doesn't seem to be a big need for them in Bangkok because there is so much traffic that if you set your regular mirror to catch the 'blind spot', you are okay because if something is further than that behind you, you can typically start to drift over and they will give way. :lol: :lol:

It was something I really had to get used to. When drivers did that back in the US and Canada you could pretty much automatically anticipate road rage. But when in Rome, live like that Romans. It's not wrong, just different.
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

kramnala58 wrote:There doesn't seem to be a big need for them in Bangkok because there is so much traffic that if you set your regular mirror to catch the 'blind spot', you are okay because if something is further than that behind you, you can typically start to drift over and they will give way. :lol: :lol:

It was something I really had to get used to. When drivers did that back in the US and Canada you could pretty much automatically anticipate road rage. But when in Rome, live like that Romans. It's not wrong, just different.
Yes, outside the city its cutting someone off, but downtown if your bumper is ahead of mine and you want to "drift" as you say, I will yield without you even have to signal (car or bike). That doesn't bother inner city drivers enough to go lunatic on someone... that's just forward motion. Suburbs/inner city, two completely different mental driving states.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I have had those fish eye spot mirrors on my bike since I bought it. I also had them on my Burgman. I believe in them because I have some blind spots and these mirrors help. Of course, you do have to get use to using them.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
binje
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by binje »

I got the City grips from here

http://www.blackcircles.com/

Cant get the link to work for the city grips but got the standard size. Cost me £85 including delivery and had them put on by Protyre near me who charged £50. I have done just over 200 miles on them now in the last 2 weeks or so. I have to admit, these tyres are a completely different experience to the stock Honda business. So much more grip. I know bits where I was a bit weary I am a lot more confident now. Grip on painted white lines is incredible. Wholeheartedly recommend the Michelin City Grips. No grips whatsoever.
homie wrote:
binje wrote:accelerated my timeline for getting new tyres a bit as I thought I dont need spots on my already wearing down tyres. Michelin City Grips on order now :)
Will you share your purchase details (I assume amazon). Here is what I researched to order but not confident enough they are right for the new 150 because all the info in here is last years PCX models.

http://www.amazon.com/Michelin-Premium- ... +City+Grip

http://www.amazon.com/Michelin-City-Gri ... +City+Grip

and these are better looking tires but no one here cares for them on a PCX of any year... so just not sure yet.

http://www.amazon.com/Pirelli-GTS-Front ... +23+and+24

http://www.amazon.com/Pirelli-GTS-Rear- ... 0P-14%2F--
2011 Honda PCX 125
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

binje wrote:I got the City grips from here
http://www.blackcircles.com/
stock size; front 90/90-14 rear 100/90-14

the ones I linked; front 120/70-14 rear 140/70-14

I have not yet decided if I want the oversized but I have decided they will be Michelin not Pirelli. From what I read here oversized tires might feel like I'm dragging an anchor after riding stock IRC's. Slower to wind up, harder to slow down, disrupt the speedometer accuracy and lose my precious 64 MPH. The more I think about it, you did the right thing keeping with Honda's delicate balance of mechanical genus... good call.
ScooterKim
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by ScooterKim »

WEAR FLUORESCENT GREEN. Or Bright Orange. Don't be in fashion and match your black bike. All you do is blend into the scenery. I even wear bright colors like this when walking the dog. Now, this is not the end-all fix, it is just one of those ideas in the chain that helps. Mel's logic is best... look down the road for possible scenarios. the problem is, it is like yesterday, the school bus that is over on my side as I came around the corner. Or, last month: the loose gravel all over the road from when they tar and chipped it. Or, the 18 wheeler that was detoured on the state country road trying to make a dog leg turn and I ended up pulling off in the grass because he literally was in my lane. Slowing down also helps!
SECoda
Honda Forza 300 &
Honda Forza 300 &

Post by SECoda »

I have had several folks (including my wife and the dealer) now say that from the side at night all they see are the reflectors on my 2013 that they removed from the 2015s. I would add some reflective tape to the sides of the 2015s.
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

I have used the fish eye mirrors long enough now to say they have made it very comfortable and easy to see the car riding in your blind spot. Not much good for anything else because of the small size. They do not limit your main rearview by adding them if you want.

To date the very best thing I ever did for safety was reflective wheel stripe on the body panels.

Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2015
Color: White

Post by Valiant »

I bought the reflective stripes too, though they don't seem quite as bright as the ones on my jacket despite being the same brand(3M scotchlite).
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

Valiant wrote:I bought the reflective stripes too, though they don't seem quite as bright as the ones on my jacket despite being the same brand(3M scotchlite).
I read that review and went with Pro grip, although I could never get it on the rims to my satisfaction it was excellent other application.
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2015
Color: White

Post by Valiant »

It wouldn't fit neat and circular on the rims, but I expect you could do it bicycle style and simply place two 3-inch pieces on opposite ends of the rims, and they'd probably attract more attention that way by creating more of a flashing effect when the wheels are spinning(might be more annoying too :D ).