terminal velocity...

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

terminal velocity...

Post by homie »

Ok NOW I have questions about my experience with free wheeling downhill. Yes I let the speed drop below 9 miles per hour at the top of a long downgrade on the PCX allowing the CVI belt to disengage (terminal velocity) for lack of a better phase :lol:

when approaching terminal velocity what would happen if one throttled up o_O
would this action be like doing 90mph, shifting to first gear and popping the clutch?
would this action damage the drive train?
does the belt keep speed with the rear drive axis or the engine idle vario rotation during terminal velocity?
do cars with CVI's experience similar mechanical conditions if rolling from idle engine onto a downgrade?

That's enough for now but surly this was a shocking realization for me and not mentioned in the owners manual to my recollection. OMgosh it should be mentioned because it can happen to anyone and the last thing you think to do it throttle up! So the next thing you naturally do is brake only to find a whole new braking experience o_O One that will require twice the effort and aggression to slow or stop a runaway (terminal velocity) CVI.

I ask these questions because I see my wife or kid sheepishly approaching a steep hill and rolling into it under 9mph taking the ride of their lives never adding throttle the whole way down on the PCX... Not cool MAN!
pcx man
Regular User
Regular User

Re: terminal velocity...

Post by pcx man »

If you were coasting down hill say at 80mph and you gave it the gas your engine would then go the rpm for 80mph and blow up. I think it would also blow the drive belt, clutch, ect. Go just 20mph coasting then gas it. It will jerk and the engine speeds up to that rpm for your speed. I can't even think of what it would do at high speeds.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

From that speed it would possibly lock the rear wheel or trash the clutch or burn the belt or blow the engine up or a combination of all of the above.
Maddiedog tried it once from a lower speed and nearly pooped himself.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

And this isn't worthy of a mention in the manual?
Alrighty then boys and girls - always go into a downgrade over 9mph or possible injury or death may occur.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Don't this just prove that not everything is idiot proof?
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

you you wrote:Don't this just prove that not everything is idiot proof?
haha... yes youyou but for Honda's sake it needs to be accident lawyer proof. If the unusual characteristics of the product are no were mentioned in the instruction manual it's open season on Honda in the US. By unusual I mean approaching a down grade at less than 9pmh in a motor vehicle and experiencing unusually normal acceleration and much less than usual braking abilities. I won't find myself in that situation again as I will be sure to be moving faster into the grade but who plans for such things in normal day to day driving. The idiot in this case will become a multi millionaire and we don't need anymore millionaire idiots :lol:
Duggle
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013 - 150
Color: black

Post by Duggle »

homie wrote:The idiot in this case will become a multi millionaire and we don't need anymore millionaire idiots :lol:
Only if he lives to tell the tale, otherwise it's just another case of a cyclist going too fast. :o
William T
Year: Model 2013
Color: Red 150

Post by William T »

Thanks this is an interesting post, not that I would try it but I never thought of it which makes it interesting to know.
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

William T wrote:not that I would try it but I never thought of it.
You don't have to be consciously attempting this like I did. This could be possible without intent and here is the funny part, the downgrade I experimented on has a posted speed of 10mph :lol: one mile over the CVI belt disengagement... So yes I was speeding for sure.