Observation report: Leaning!

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

OriginalRocket
Regular User
Regular User

Observation report: Leaning!

Post by OriginalRocket »

When I first got the PCX I was afraid to lean much in the turns. Well 2 years later, I've conquered that fear. So much so I've ground the center stand foot pegs into a nice sharp angle.

Not really worried about that. But today while giving the bike a washing, I noticed the fuel overfill collar drain hose has begun to wear due to scrapping the ground while turning left hard. According to the tires, I have about 1 cm left to go to get rid of the "chicken strips" But the bike simply will not allow any more lean angle.

So much fun on the little PCX 125cc. These new City Grip tires are amazing. 2,000 miles already on them and no perceivable wear. I can't even wear off the little nubs from the mold filling process. Wet grip is astounding, based on the OEM IRC's that went 10,000 miles before I replaced them.

I nearly tasted the concrete a month ago from the center stand lifting the rear tire up in a hard right turn. But I corrected the bike lean, and ground the knee cap on my riding pants to save myself and the bike. Now I'm trying to learn to lean a bit less, and use the knee out leaning technique you see on the race bikes. That's what the knee grind is for anyways!

I kinda want a 1000RR now! but I really like getting 92MPG average on my daily ride.

Cheers mates,

Ride safely!
Steph
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013 150cc
Color: Black PCX

Re: Observation report: Leaning!

Post by Steph »

Nothing but great stuff has been said about the City Grip tires. I really need to get them.
Sowaka
Year: 2013 PCX150
Color: Black

Post by Sowaka »

Steph wrote:Nothing but great stuff has been said about the City Grip tires. I really need to get them.
Haha, the forum has been tempting me to buy them but I'd have to take them to a shop to have them installed ) :
Think they'd be much better than the standard tires they slap onto all the PCX models? My current ones have NO wear at all so it's hard to justify the purchase when it might not make any difference at all ) :
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

Can't see me going at speed round corners low to the tarmac with my knee's scrapeing the road :) - but good on you if you can do it.
ScooterMan
Regular User
Regular User

Post by ScooterMan »

I took the centerstand off one of my PCX's...that's the first thing that scrapes. Also removes 2.75lbs of dead weight.
2015 PCX 150 (White)[/color]
Top speed 76mph(2015) 79mph (2013)with NCY variator & Drive Face
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

I use the side stand for fill-ups (can't see the issue with a few mm's different to the brim with the bike upright or slightly tilted), but some say the side stand is not always to be trusted? The new models fix the early side-stand problems so I've gone with the center stand for home/work storage.
Duggle
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013 - 150
Color: black

Post by Duggle »

Here's a fun video with a couple of Scarabeos.

wilbur
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014 Forza ABS
Color: The fast color

Post by wilbur »

Faster than I have any desire to go :D
Image, Image
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I can say from experience that the City Grip tires are great for cornering as apposed to the original tires. We have two pcx scooters. My wife's came with IRC. Mine came with Dunlop. I had a Burgman 400 before I bought my PCX 150. I put City Grips on it also. When we were riding with the original tires on all of the bikes we had to be careful while turning or leaning into a curve. After changing to the City Grips it was like riding a different bike! In fact, I even hit the center stand on my Burgman while making a turn because it was so nice being able to lean into it without slowing appreciably. City Grips are great!
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Duggle, can we talk....about that Beo? The rider? o_O Holy Smokers! Yey for twisties, Guys got N E R V E! Did ya see the road? Where the seams were? It looked like crap, Scary if yer tire rolled in that while coming round a bend. Glory Days.
I REALLY enjoyed watching this and the background music he chose. Hope he doesn't get too cocky and allows himself to Ride out the rest of his days.
By the end I found myself wanting to "Breathe again...."
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
Duggle
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013 - 150
Color: black

Post by Duggle »

Yes, some of that Mulholland pavement looked pretty lousy. Almost like fiber was laid and the pavement was patched shabbily, probably just repaired faults from shifting earth though.

I hit a bad trench at 90 degrees Tuesday. Some sort of water pipe repair (I think) about a foot wide that must have sunk down. Following a car and didn't notice, it hit so hard I was afraid the front tire would go flat. Glad I wasn't on my wife's Buddy with the 10" wheels.