Question about tyres and drive belt replacement

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

binje
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Question about tyres and drive belt replacement

Post by binje »

Hey all

So my tyres are nearing the legal limit and I am planning to order a new set this weekend. From the forums its almost a given that the Michelin City Grips are possibly the best option. I do ride all year around in the Great British weather (i.e. rain for 11 months!). Just wondered if there are any other options or should I just stick to the City Grips...

Second question would be about the drive belt... I am on about 14,150 miles. I know the service interval is 15k miles for replacement. However, the guy I bought the bike from told me the belt snapped on him at 2.5k miles so he had it replaced. He reckoned it was because he was on the motorway at a constant 60 or more for about an hour and a half each day... Even Honda couldnt say why it happenned.

Anyhoos, the belt has around 11,500 miles on it. I am wondering if I should just get the belt replaced as well now or wait till I am at 15k miles on the belt.. My monthly run is just over 1100 miles so will be at the 15k will be in roughly 3 months from now...

So basically... after that long rant.. the question is... do the belts perish earlier than the service intervals or am I ok for the next 3k or so miles...

Apologies for War and Peace there..

As always all help much appreciated :)
2011 Honda PCX 125
buddy1976
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: Red

Re: Question about tyres and drive belt replacement

Post by buddy1976 »

binje wrote:Hey all

So my tyres are nearing the legal limit and I am planning to order a new set this weekend. From the forums its almost a given that the Michelin City Grips are possibly the best option. I do ride all year around in the Great British weather (i.e. rain for 11 months!). Just wondered if there are any other options or should I just stick to the City Grips...

Second question would be about the drive belt... I am on about 14,150 miles. I know the service interval is 15k miles for replacement. However, the guy I bought the bike from told me the belt snapped on him at 2.5k miles so he had it replaced. He reckoned it was because he was on the motorway at a constant 60 or more for about an hour and a half each day... Even Honda couldnt say why it happenned.

Anyhoos, the belt has around 11,500 miles on it. I am wondering if I should just get the belt replaced as well now or wait till I am at 15k miles on the belt.. My monthly run is just over 1100 miles so will be at the 15k will be in roughly 3 months from now...

So basically... after that long rant.. the question is... do the belts perish earlier than the service intervals or am I ok for the next 3k or so miles...

Apologies for War and Peace there..

As always all help much appreciated :)

I have tried Stock irc's, Dunlop scootsmart and now have city grips. City grips are far superior to stock and much better than the dunlops in my opinion.

I have used only the stock belt and like to change this around every 7k miles to prevent wearing the variator and to maintain vmax. The more your belt wears the more top end you will lose as this will reduce VMAX
Honda forza 125 2019
Malossi multivar 2000 with 8.5gr rollers
Yellow malossi contra spring
Malossi delta clutch and bell
Malossi special kevlar belt
K and n air filter
Akrapovic exhaust
BC BCTX7L-FP-S LiFePO4 Battery

Honda Pcx 125 esp 2012 uk model
Malossi Multivar 10.5g rollers
Malossi White Contra Spring
Malossi yellow clutch springs
Daytona reinforced belt
ADVANCEPro Large Diameter Drive Face
ADVANCEPro PCX125 Fi High Rigidity Bearing Slider
DNA Performance air filter
Removed air box flange
Removed seat hump
Ermax+25 windshield
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

The belt will not perish at the rate you are using it.
I would leave it till 15,000
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
binje
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by binje »

buddy1976 wrote: I have tried Stock irc's, Dunlop scootsmart and now have city grips. City grips are far superior to stock and much better than the dunlops in my opinion.

I have used only the stock belt and like to change this around every 7k miles to prevent wearing the variator and to maintain vmax. The more your belt wears the more top end you will lose as this will reduce VMAX
See now I am gonna sound completely ignorant... what is VMAX?
I take it you change the belt more often as you have an aftermarket variator then?
gn2 wrote:The belt will not perish at the rate you are using it.
I would leave it till 15,000
Thanks for the advice... much appreciated... is changing the belt fairly straightforward or leave it to the professionals?
2011 Honda PCX 125
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

With the right tools its a doddle if you have any spannering skills.
You'll need a tool for holding the variator and a strap wrench to hold the clutch.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

gn2 wrote:With the right tools its a doddle if you have any spannering skills.
You'll need a tool for holding the variator and a strap wrench to hold the clutch.

Why do you need the strap wrench too?
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

You need a strap wench to hold the clutch drum while you undo the nut to get the rear pulley off.
The belt won't come out with the rear pulley in place.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

gn2 wrote:You need a strap wench to hold the clutch drum while you undo the nut to get the rear pulley off.

I haven't changed a belt on a Forza as you have but on everyone I have changed I've just pulled the pulleys apart manually
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

This thread is about the PCX.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

you you wrote:
gn2 wrote:You need a strap wench to hold the clutch drum while you undo the nut to get the rear pulley off.

I haven't changed a belt on a Forza as you have but on everyone I have changed I've just pulled the pulleys apart manually
Fair enough. Then you definitely don't need a strap wrench
Mgalutia88
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013 PCX 150

Post by Mgalutia88 »

I'd recomend an aftermarket belt just because USUALLY the dealers need to order the belt so you will wait anyway. The aftermarket REINFORCED belts are the way to go. They wear longer at higher speeds. The maximum wear if I remember correctly is 21.5mm. Don't worry so much about mileage as the wear. That is the equivelant of saying a 70k mile tire is still good if it is bald at 40k or 50k because of driving style.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

I've seen comments from people saying stick with the Honda belt and steer clear of the aftermarket Kevlar ones - I've even seen such comments watching videos on youtube for many scooters and people say the Kevlar ones and after-market ones are not as good as the genuine Honda one. Not saying that is the true though.
binje
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by binje »

you you wrote:
you you wrote:

Fair enough. Then you definitely don't need a strap wrench
Right... think I may need to call my buddy who has loads more experience working on bikes. I can do the basics of servicing etc but dont think I wanna tackle this on my own. Plus I always end up helping him on his latest project on his cars or bike so works for me. Thanks again for the advice all :)
Mgalutia88 wrote:I'd recomend an aftermarket belt just because USUALLY the dealers need to order the belt so you will wait anyway. The aftermarket REINFORCED belts are the way to go. They wear longer at higher speeds. The maximum wear if I remember correctly is 21.5mm. Don't worry so much about mileage as the wear. That is the equivelant of saying a 70k mile tire is still good if it is bald at 40k or 50k because of driving style.
Well I do about an hour of 50-55 mph riding on A roads and then about 30-40 for half an hour in London. Obviously the higher speed runs are what make me worry about belt wear (should have mentioned this in the beginning). So my worry is less about the mileage but more about the speeds for those miles...
iceman wrote:I've seen comments from people saying stick with the Honda belt and steer clear of the aftermarket Kevlar ones - I've even seen such comments watching videos on youtube for many scooters and people say the Kevlar ones and after-market ones are not as good as the genuine Honda one. Not saying that is the true though.
Might have to look into this a bit more seeing as I have a little bit more time before the belt change comes around... Honda bits are quite good anyway. Plus I am happy to replace wearing parts sooner rather than later as the my PCXy is my workhorse so better to look after it :)
2011 Honda PCX 125
Mgalutia88
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013 PCX 150

Post by Mgalutia88 »

All I can say is with my mods I run 70 mph at 8500 rpm and 75 mph at 9000 rpm. I want my Kevlar belt. My stock belt only lasted 1100 miles before it was at the wear limit with riding 70-75 mph.
buddy1976
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by buddy1976 »

I know an aftermarket windshield certainly helps, it stops your body acting as an airbrake.
Honda forza 125 2019
K and n air filter
Akrapovic exhaust

Malossi yellow clutch springs
Daytona reinforced belt
ADVANCEPro Large Diameter Drive Face
ADVANCEPro PCX125 Fi High Rigidity Bearing Slider
DNA Performance air filter
Removed air box flange
Removed seat hump
Ermax+25 windshield
buddy1976
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by buddy1976 »

buddy1976 wrote:I know an aftermarket windshield certainly helps, it stops your body acting as an airbrake.

Whoops wrong thread!
Honda forza 125 2019
K and n air filter
Akrapovic exhaust