fuel gauge...

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

homey
Regular User
Regular User

fuel gauge...

Post by homey »

I want to run out the fuel to monitor the gauge for future reference. Not wanting to push I thought to put a small container of petrol under the seat :lol: Chief says this sounds like a bad idea.
Steph
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013 150cc
Color: Black PCX

Re: fuel gauge...

Post by Steph »

My husband strapped a small gas can to the milk crate he mounted on the luggage rack. To do this test. After the fuel indicator starting blinking he ran out of gas after 30 miles.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I wouldn't put it under the seat because of heat that is generated by the engine and the fact that you can not guaranty that the gas can won't have any fumes escape. If you have a tailbox, put it in that. Otherwise, strap it to the seat.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
homey
Regular User
Regular User

Post by homey »

Feels like the time I went to get fuel for my mower on a Segway... it's disturbing somehow. But anywho I have to know!
homey
Regular User
Regular User

Post by homey »

the minute I hit one bar the trip was reset... I will burn off the last bar report the miles and then continue until engine failure logging miles after no bars as well... if there are any. Its something to do, butt is kinda sore :roll: I entertain myself, beats wanking, I meant walking.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

I believe Whitenoise posted the new 2015 pcx fits a normal size water bottle in the glove box - if so, maybe that would serve as a temp location for a bit of extra fuel - but I'm not sure a plastic water bottle is safe to hold fuel mind!
homey
Regular User
Regular User

Post by homey »

iceman wrote:I believe Whitenoise posted the new 2015 pcx fits a normal size water bottle in the glove box - if so, maybe that would serve as a temp location for a bit of extra fuel - but I'm not sure a plastic water bottle is safe to hold fuel mind!
Well thanks iceman but this is working and I'm almost done... not sure yet if the last thing you see is one FLASHING bar or if it goes to no bars. What does happen is at one bar I got 7 miles until it starts flashing. Currently I have 30 miles on the flashing bar and I had to take a break. Surely we will run out of fuel soon :D But if you can't find a gas station in 30 miles on the warning light then you might be a redneck.

http://youtu.be/w64UjYbjk-E
pcxpower
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015

Post by pcxpower »

Very interesting! Thank you very much for the experiment, and we look.forward to know the number of miles that the PCXs do with a full tank! ;)
2015 Honda PCX 125
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)

Post by iceman »

It seems mpg and miles covered varies to how you ride it. For those pulling away full throttle and riding 60mph most of the time, the mpg drop's significantly (almost a 1/3rd!) as does the distance you can get on a tank.

I use my 2015 125 for commuting, pulling away in normal fashion, mostly 30-45 mph as it' city use, so max speed limit is 40 anyway :) - and after 1500 miles I've never dropped below 139mpg and if I fill up getting towards the brim, I get 230 miles+ (sometimes with the bar flashing, but on the last fill up having done 225 miles the last solid bar only just came on, so probably had 20 miles or so extra!).

The Fuelly info below is accurate, except for the total miles as I joined after having used the bike for a while, so now just use the trip-meter and litres in (print out) to add to it. The built in meter is very accurate!
pcxpower
Regular User
Regular User

Post by pcxpower »

Thanks for the information, and I will post my results when I have some correct data (I'm still braking in the scooter). One saves lots of money in gas with this scooter! :D :D :D :D
2015 Honda PCX 125
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011

Post by maddiedog »

A word of warning... You can overheat the fuel pump if you run it dry. It's not designed to run dry ever, and if ANY debris at all is in your gas, it is more likely to get sucked in at the bottom of the tank. You'll probably be fine, but I advise against making habit of running the pump dry.
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
homey
Regular User
Regular User

Post by homey »

maddiedog wrote:A word of warning... You can overheat the fuel pump if you run it dry. It's not designed to run dry ever, and if ANY debris at all is in your gas, it is more likely to get sucked in at the bottom of the tank. You'll probably be fine, but I advise against making habit of running the pump dry.
Yes, my auto mech said the same thing when he ask me why I was traveling with a gas can on the seat. I was 30 miles into the last bar and still running when discontinuing this quest. Never going to know how far the PCX150 would have run on that last bar... not worth running it dry to find out ;)
pcxpower
Regular User
Regular User

Post by pcxpower »

Thanks for the advice! It has lots of sense ;)
2015 Honda PCX 125
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013 PCX150

Post by sendler2112 »

maddiedog wrote:A word of warning... You can overheat the fuel pump if you run it dry.
Sorry but this is an old wives tale. I see this on the net over and over again. There is NO danger to the fuel pump from a vehicle running out of gas once in a while. As soon as the tank starts to run dry, the fuel pressure will intermittently drop and cause the engine to stall. As soon as the engine stalls the fuel pump shuts off. It never actually sits there running dry and will still be wet with fuel even after the engine stalls. It's not like you have a dry fuel pump sitting on the bench with a battery hooked to it and let it run for several minutes.
pcxpower
Regular User
Regular User

Post by pcxpower »

It has lots of sense as well, and it comforts me to know that the fuel pump wouldn't suffer a lot if we occasionally run out of fuel. Thanks! ;)
2015 Honda PCX 125
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

sendler2112 wrote:
maddiedog wrote:A word of warning... You can overheat the fuel pump if you run it dry.
Sorry but this is an old wives tale. I see this on the net over and over again. There is NO danger to the fuel pump from a vehicle running out of gas once in a while. As soon as the tank starts to run dry, the fuel pressure will intermittently drop and cause the engine to stall. As soon as the engine stalls the fuel pump shuts off. It never actually sits there running dry and will still be wet with fuel even after the engine stalls. It's not like you have a dry fuel pump sitting on the bench with a battery hooked to it and let it run for several minutes.

Eggs bloody sac ter ley