Top Box and Seating

Cosmetic accessories, comfort accessories, windshields, luggage racks, etc.

Moderator: Modsquad

freefall

Top Box and Seating

Post by freefall »

Hi, I just purchased a 2014 PCX150 and have to say I am loving it.

I am based in NE Thailand and finding accessories a little light on, particularly a top box.

I have a fairly unique problem in that we tend to ride 4 to the bike here (me, wifey, 6 and 2 y/o) so seat space is at a premium.

Do any of the Top Boxes (either Honda Genuine or GIVI as they appear to be the two I can find) cramp the seat space?

I am looking at the Givi website and they have a 47L Blade with "Universal Fittings". Has anyone had experience with this? I want plenty of space for Helmets and/or shopping. What is the largest Honda Box as the local Honda said 30L and another said 35L?

(Also interested in recommendations of "Tunnel Bags" to sit on the tank.)

Thanks and Hello to the Forum.

Freefall
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Re: Top Box and Seating

Post by gn2 »

Seat opens forwards so all topboxes are mounted behind the seat and no seat space is lost.
Givi boxes are supplied with a base plate with fittings to attach it to a rack.
You'll need a rack fitted as well.
Givi do an adaptor kit for the PCX but it is intended for monolock boxes only which all have a very low 3kg carrying limit.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Post by kramnala58 »

I have a 47L Givi on mine. It does not hang over the seat as GN2 noted, but if you are riding 4 up then the person on the back will likely find the box a little close. I am assuming that the youngest is in front of the driver, and the next youngest is between the driver and the other adult on the back.

2014/15 accessories are likely going to be a little scarce in many places but we are starting to see more of them in BKK.

Sorry, I can't offer much on the tunnel bag, but I know some of used a Givi one. Keep looking on these forums and you will find some stuff about them.
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
Sh3p
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Sh3p »

What is the largest size Givi topcase anyone has successfully fitted to a PCX? since it mounts to the bodywork and not the frame, I'd imagine the weight limit is pretty low.
Old enough to know its a bad idea, young enough not to care

Fleet:
-08' Triumph Daytona 675 -(no org) #159
-05' Kawasaki KX65 -UMRA #677
-13' Honda PCX150
-10' Scion TC
-09' Scion Xb

I must only be faster than one person. Myself.
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus

Post by kramnala58 »

Sh3p wrote:What is the largest size Givi topcase anyone has successfully fitted to a PCX? since it mounts to the bodywork and not the frame, I'd imagine the weight limit is pretty low.
I believe that it is 47L which I have on mine, and it is mounted to the frame, not the bodywork (plastic). There are tutorials online about how to do it.
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
freefall

Post by freefall »

Hi guys, thanks for the response. I have searched through this and other forums and haven't found much on the 2014-15 model. There appears to be a panel that can be removed on this model. My first road bike and I don't want to start pulling it apart randomly as the wifey will bury me out back somewhere.

I want the 47L but want to be able to put more than 3kg in it. Also hoping it will act as a suitable back rest when riding 4 up.

I haven't told wifey yet but getting the shocks and tires done too. Already ordered the windscreen mid size.

With me and wife total 135kg am bottoming out suspension on rear on potholes around Sakon Nakhon city. And it gets twitchy at speed.

So getting back to the box, if anyone has a video, English manual etc on how the 2014 model works word be great.

Thanks in advance.
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus

Post by kramnala58 »

Yes, there is a panel that can be removed to reveal four pre-thread holes to mount the base to. I believe the weight that Givi suggests is either 6 kilos or 10 kilos, I can't recall. I have had quite a bit in mine without any problems.

If you want to use the box as a backrest, get a pad for it. My wife tells me that the hinge for the lid hurts a bit after a while.
Bash On!
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Bash On! »

"With me and wife total 135kg am bottoming out suspension on rear on potholes around Sakon Nakhon city. And it gets twitchy at speed."

No offense, but how will it be when you add two kids? My PCX feels distinctly overloaded with just my middle school-aged daughter on the back.

Not sure I'd want to have the whole family on something that sounds rather sketchy. I know it's common in Thailand, but still ..... [Disclaimer: I'm a transportation safety attorney and tend to be risk-averse.]
2013 PCX 150 [now an ex-bike, soon to be consigned to the bottom line of the sig]
2013 Silver Wing ABS (Black)
1971 BMW R75/5 (White)
Too many ex-bikes to list, and, besides, who really cares what we used to own?
Bash On!
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Bash On! »

Here's what comes to mind. o_O
Attachments
scooter.png
scooter.png (107.98 KiB) Viewed 2045 times
2013 PCX 150 [now an ex-bike, soon to be consigned to the bottom line of the sig]
1971 BMW R75/5 (White)
freefall

Post by freefall »

Haha. Bash On!

My kids a quite small, so total 170kgs. From the forums YSS Z Series in combination of 120/90 14 front and 140/90 14 rear should fix the bottoming out and twitchy ride.

We fit surprisingly well and should do for a couple of years. By then we will need a car and the bike will be all mine MWAHAHAHA......... Sorry late here :)
Bash On!
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Bash On! »

freefall wrote:Haha. Bash On!

My kids a quite small, so total 170kgs. From the forums YSS Z Series in combination of 120/90 14 front and 140/90 14 rear should fix the bottoming out and twitchy ride.

We fit surprisingly well and should do for a couple of years. By then we will need a car and the bike will be all mine MWAHAHAHA......... Sorry late here :)

Sounds good. Stay safe!
1971 BMW R75/5 (White)
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I rode around with my grown grandson on the back for a week this summer. The bike struggled but was able to keep up with traffic. I would definitely changed out the shocks though. We have a Givi tailbox on ours too, with stuff in it. We even went to the grocery store and bought groceries together. He weighed 200 pounds plus some. I weigh 190 pounds. So, the bike was hauling around 4 pounds for a week with no problems. I hope this helps.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
ScooterMan
Regular User
Regular User

Post by ScooterMan »

I'm curious about seating on a motorcycle in the US. I have 2 kids, and they can both fit on there with me. In CA, the requirement according to the vehicle code is that they sit behnd the driver and can reach the floorboard/footpegs. They fit that criteria. Doesn't specify how many passengers are allowed. I think that should mean it's leagal, but would prefer not to get pulled over and have the cops turn my kids over to CPS for "child endangerment" trying to prove a point. I think I'll call the police dept first.
2015 PCX 150 (White)[/color]
Top speed 76mph(2015) 79mph (2013)with NCY variator & Drive Face
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

It is definitely against the law to have more than one passenger on a two wheel vehicle, in any state. Also, just to let you know, I changed my shocks a few days ago and it makes quite a difference. My wife rode around as my passenger to check them out. They are a great improvement. I would suggest changing shocks if you are going to carry multiple passengers or a heavy load.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

ScooterMan
Regular User
Regular User

Post by ScooterMan »

Mel46, I've combed over the vehicle code in CA and there's nothing that states you can't have more than one passenger...in fact, the wording actually would indicate otherwise!

http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/displ ... 7800-27803

Keep an eye on the final sentence here below..."Every passenger?" Wouldn't that infer that you would have ore than one passenger? I know they could mean "every passenger" not just speaking of a single motorcycle but in my opinion, it's a loophole, and could be defeated if ever ticketed.

27800. It is unlawful for a driver of a motorcycle or a motorized
bicycle to carry any other person thereon, except on a seat securely
fastened to the machine at the rear of the driver and provided with
footrests, or in a sidecar attached to a motorcycle and designed for
the purpose of carrying a passenger. Every passenger on a motorcycle
or a motorized bicycle shall keep his feet on the footrests while
such vehicle is in motion.
2015 PCX 150 (White)[/color]
Top speed 76mph(2015) 79mph (2013)with NCY variator & Drive Face
freefall

Post by freefall »

Most vehicle codes (Thailand and Australia) talk about footpegs/rest. It would imply that you require a set of footpegs/rests per passenger. However I know in Australia you can only have one pillion irrespective of footpegs/rests (there are other sections in Australia that clarify this). In Thailand..... well there is the law that is written down and then the one yelled at you by your wife while trying to ride.....
freefall

Post by freefall »

On another note Mel46, I went into a couple of the local dealers here in Thailand and asked for them to fit YSS Z Series to my bike along with 140/90-14 rear and 120/90-14 front. They laughed and indicated (or in broken English) said I was crazy as there would not be enough room. There is a mud flap of sorts covering the rear wheel near the engine. The clearance on the sides is about 7mm on each side. Once your rear tyre exceeded 114/90-14 you would be rubbing the sides.

Now I am not a mechanic and only going by what some of the local honda shops have said. Does anyone else have any experience otherwise on the 2014 150 model?
dasshreddar
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: forzaruckuspcx
Color: black

Post by dasshreddar »

You must mean 140/70-14 and 120/70-14 tires... and yes they will smooth out your ride 8)
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

Remember that the wording on the laws has to be such that it will include multiple circumstances, such as a passenger behind the rider PLUS a sidecar. Also keep in mind that many laws overlap others, so what is not said in one will be stated in another. CPS was created to protect the children, and so there are even laws about child passengers on a motorcycle. Somewhere there definitely is a law restricting the number and age of the passengers on a motorcycle. You may not know where it is, but I bet the CHP does.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150