Introduction; learning to love my 2013 PCX 150

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Jarec
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Introduction; learning to love my 2013 PCX 150

Post by Jarec »

Hi, I'm new to the board and to the world of the PCX, and have benefited greatly from the board already. Thanks to all for sharing your insights and stories.

As an introduction, I'm 64 years old, live in the rural mountains of Colorado, and got a 2013 PCX 150 about a week ago. Since I haven't ridden at highway speeds on two wheels for about 30 years, and felt a little rusty generally, this past weekend I took a safety course sponsored by the Motorcycle Safety Foundation.

The rider-coach was really experienced and helpful. I particularly enjoyed learning about countersteering and practicing weaving, swerves and fast stops.

Today on a 40 mile mountain ride I worked on countersteering on the curves. Wow! What a difference from my old way of riding, in which I steered the scooter like I'd steer a car. I love how nimble and responsive the PCX 150 is--leaning on the curves is exciting. It's quite a step up from my staid little Yamaha c3 (49 cc).

Happy and safe riding to all, John
Current ride
2013 PCX150

Former rides
Yamaha c3
Honda CB360
homey
Regular User
Regular User

Re: Introduction; learning to love my 2013 PCX 150

Post by homey »

Welcome John... wave
I just got back on two wheels after many years and I think I know what you mean by countersteering. It was one of the many bizarre questions I missed on the written exam LOL. I didn't bother to read their pamphlet and they know people don't read it so they put questions like "which of the following is true"

a. push left, lean left go left
b. push left lean right go right
c. push left lean left go right

I'm like... push WHAT! LOL. Anyhow I knew the computer would list all the questions missed at the top on the second attempt... so I got back in line and maxed it. Later I read the entire pamphlet and I'm betting you are talking something similar when you say "countersteering" although there is no such mention in the written exam.

btw John may I ask how you like riding a scooter after riding motorcycles earlier in life. I ask because honestly its not a very secure feeling for me. I feel like Reese Weatherspoon perched on a beach cruiser in the beginning of that movie Legally Blond. I really don't want to be or look that... perky. I only have 15 miles tonight and at the end of that I just wish I had a tank between my legs for stability and could stand up now and then. I tried to stand and almost went over the bars. Where do you put your feet on these scooters? I'm thinking way up front off the flats so you can relax a little, what's your thoughts?
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Teaching "countersteering" is completely wrong imo.
You shouldn't be thinking about what way to turn the handlebars, there's no need, you just look where you want to go and the bike goes there.
In any case "countersteering" is a misnomer because you are not making a control input which is opposite to the correct one.
Nearly all users of two wheeled vehicles get by fine without ever knowing about "countersteering", its a load of bollocks.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Jarec
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Jarec »

homey wrote:Welcome John... wave

Thanks for your welcome, homey!

Yes, the example you give below is what I mean by countersteering:
a. push left, lean left go left

It's intellectually confusing but works like a charm

btw John may I ask how you like riding a scooter after riding motorcycles earlier in life.

I love riding a scooter! And I say that having trained all weekend in safety school on a motorcycle. For me, the scooter simplifies the riding experience to the essentials: twist the throttle and go, enjoy the wind and the view and the freedom, brake like you're on a bicycle. As you know, the motorcycle experience is more complex. A matter of taste, I imagine.

I ask because honestly its not a very secure feeling for me. I feel like Reese Weatherspoon perched on a beach cruiser in the beginning of that movie Legally Blond. I really don't want to be or look that... perky.

I think I know what you mean! The upright riding position is kind of perky. We could learn to slouch to look less perky. :lol:

I only have 15 miles tonight and at the end of that I just wish I had a tank between my legs for stability and could stand up now and then. I tried to stand and almost went over the bars.

I feel plenty stable sitting down, but I do wish I could stand up now and then. I'm not brave enough to do that!

Where do you put your feet on these scooters? I'm thinking way up front off the flats so you can relax a little, what's your thoughts?

My size 13s, in boots, are big enough that they just fit on the flats. Nowhere else for them to go. Consequently, I need to stop and stand up now and then for comfort. BTW, I noticed that on the left side there is a plastic panel that gets shifted out of alignment by the right side of my left ankle. Not sure what to do about that.

How long have you had your scooter?
Current ride
2013 PCX150

Former rides
Yamaha c3
Honda CB360
Jarec
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Jarec »

Hi, gn2,

I agree that thinking about which way to turn the handlebars is not what we want.

But as a new user, with most of my experience driving being in a car, I found it tremendously helpful to be taught to "push left go left, push right go right" (the applied essence of "countersteering") and to have the opportunity to actually practice it under a coach's guidance. That is so counterintuitive to me as a car driver that I wouldn't on my own have learned to use it as well as I can now.

I've read, and believe, that we necessarily "countersteer" when we're riding on two wheels even if we don't know we're doing it. The difference from my training is the acquired ability to really take advantage of (and enjoy) the scooter's nimbleness by doing this intentionally.

Re "looking where you want to go and the bike goes there," I think that is a good description of what it can be like once we've internalized and put into our muscle memory how to control the vehicle.

I was in a situation yesterday, though, where "looking where I want to go and the bike goes there" wouldn't have worked. I came around a corner and a car was pulling out. I think I would have clipped the car's right bumper had I stayed on trajectory. I didn't have time to look where I wanted to go. My "push right go right/push left go left" training kicked in--along with the swerving practice--and I just flicked the scooter to the right then back to the left very easily and missed clipping the car.

All that said, as a newbie scooter rider, I found the written explanation of "countersteering" to be confusing and not useful. The real world teaching and guided practice to "push right go right/push left go left" was really helpful for my enjoyment and safety.
gn2 wrote:Teaching "countersteering" is completely wrong imo.
You shouldn't be thinking about what way to turn the handlebars, there's no need, you just look where you want to go and the bike goes there.
In any case "countersteering" is a misnomer because you are not making a control input which is opposite to the correct one.
Nearly all users of two wheeled vehicles get by fine without ever knowing about "countersteering", its a load of bollocks.
Current ride
2013 PCX150

Former rides
Yamaha c3
Honda CB360
homey
Regular User
Regular User

Post by homey »

Jarec wrote:
homey wrote:BTW, I noticed that on the left side there is a plastic panel that gets shifted out of alignment by the right side of my left ankle. Not sure what to do about that.
Now John, I certainly shouldn't be the one to diagnose this issue with only one day on the PCX but quickly lift the rubber foot rest cover and check to see if you are missing the screw to this spark plug access panel. That panel does not move around on my new scooter... I really hope it's that simple for you :)
Jarec
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Jarec »

homey, thanks for the tip. The screw is in place. I'll remove and reinstall the panel, making sure the screw is tight, and see how that works.

I had a similar problem on my Yamaha c3. May have to do with how I place my foot (clumsily!)
Current ride
2013 PCX150

Former rides
Yamaha c3
Honda CB360
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

gn2 wrote:Teaching "countersteering" is completely wrong imo.
True. It is the first level of motorcycle bullshit

I use t to change the direction of a motorbike quickly if I'm really travelling at speed. Flip flops. But really I've never steered a bike in my life.