Broke my left leg, gear ideas?

Riding jackets, pants, boots, GPS, toolkits, etc.

Moderator: Modsquad

you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Re: Broke my left leg, gear ideas?

Post by you you »

Forget about the *gear* ride smarter or take the bus?
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Mgalutia88 wrote:New parts for are scoots are ungodly cheap. You could buy all the plastics on the bike prepainted for the cost of a gallon of the three stage paint. It's not cheap paint at all. In another example, I replaced and had both tires mounted for less than the cost of a gallon of the three stage red. Last front upper side panel I bought was $28 usd and the lower painted fairing was $15 usd.
UK part prices......
Here's an example.
Crank shaft for PCX 125
USA: $58
UK $476
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2015
Color: White

Post by Valiant »

you you wrote:Forget about the *gear* ride smarter or take the bus?
How about you troll someone else's thread instead of adding insult to injury in the most literal sense asshole?
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Valiant »

Useless trolls that spam every thread with posts on tangent points aside, here's an x-ray:

So I guess it must've been a side impact. The shin bone is broken just above the ankle, but the shin plate on my boot is still intact and rock solid.
Duggle
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013 - 150
Color: black

Post by Duggle »

Ouchie ouch ouch, I don't like seeing that. Get well soon.
Mgalutia88
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013 PCX 150
Color: Red

Post by Mgalutia88 »

Take your time and let it heal. In light humor, chances are that your next crash or two will hurt less. Don't get discouraged. Get back out there and keep your speed up.
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Valiant »

It's funny, the parts guy at my dealership told me it might have turned out better if I were going a bit faster, as I would have been thrown clear of the bike.

Not sure how true that might be for a low side, but I'd guess if the gear was relatively low friction and lets me slide a bit, the scoot might have slid over my leg instead of smashing it.
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Oh yeah, ya done good.... that's nasty! Feeling even worse for you now Valiant. But I have to say, you sound like you're doing pretty good under the circumstances, so I congratulate you for that.
Looking at your x-Ray, is that a second break on the upper right? Geez.
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Valiant »

WhiteNoise wrote:Oh yeah, ya done good.... that's nasty! Feeling even worse for you now Valiant. But I have to say, you sound like you're doing pretty good under the circumstances, so I congratulate you for that.
Looking at your x-Ray, is that a second break on the upper right? Geez.
Yep, upper part of the fibula IIRC. I suppose it also looks like it could have been twisted. I've have to wait until my follow-up appointment sometime next week to get more details about exactly what happened.

I believe I'll go for the SIDI crossfire 2 SRS boots for the heck of it. The fact that most of the parts are replaceable should mean it would last a lifetime(or for as long as SIDI stays in business).
katschamne
Regular User
Regular User

Post by katschamne »

I hope that you are feeling better Valiant. I see that I missed this posting. I have had a couple accidents and I have asked the same thing if more protective gear would have helped me and every answer has been no. The first time I broke my foot I was at the MFS course in the beginning of the 3rd day last August. I forgot to put the kick stand down. Instead of laying the bike down I tried putting the stand down. I thought I just sprained it. I ended failing the class because I didn't walk down to the end of the course to see how the curve was laid out. They caught me looking and that was the last of my points. This was even before I road my PCX.

Now fast forward to the end of March. My husband and I had rode 140 mile and were 3 miles from home when a woman pulled out of a parking lot without looking. I tried to avoid her put was able to . Broke my shoulder. I was out 14 weeks from work. Although I was riding the scooter since week 4 when I got it back from the dealer.

A couple of weeks ago. I was on a group ride with my husband's riding group and I took a curve too wide and I went down. I've sprained the ankle and aggravated the foot I broke last year. I still went on to complete the ride about 250 miles on a sprain.

In each of those times I've asked it gear would have helped and in each case the answer was no. I did have boots, gloves, leather jacket, jeans and a helmet. I only have a leather jacket because I can't find gear with armor to fit me, and believe me I have tried. The last two times the jacket was scuffed and I had minor scratches. My pants never ripped. The gear I had did protect me against road rash just not the broken bones. I would be riding today but it's in the shop getting an oil change and tune up.

Each time I fall I look at it as what could I've done differently. It wasn't nearly as scary falling the last time in grass as it was looking at the back of car and knowing I wasn't going to be able to stop in time.
Steph
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013 150cc
Color: Black PCX

Post by Steph »

@Katschamne- I would like to recommend wearing armored Hi-Viz gear. Like in my profile picture. I now wear a fullface helmet and knee and shin protection now. Broken bones are a little harder to prevent even with armored gear. But, It helps.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I don't think i have seen a break quite like those, and i was an X-ray tech during Viet Nam. How did you break it at the top AND the bottom at the same time?? It looks like you twisted your foot after the upper bonewas broken, thereby snapping the lower one while it was still in the boot. That is not a normal break, but it obviously happens. Did they have to put pins in it? I would expect so on the lower one.
The good thing is that it will heal, maybe even as good as new. The bad part is that if you move to a climate that changes to extremes you will feel it in your leg. Stay in Hawaii and you will be fine. Good luck in the future.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

Mel46 wrote:The good thing is that it will heal, maybe even as good as new. The bad part is that if you move to a climate that changes to extremes you will feel it in your leg. Stay in Hawaii and you will be fine.
Sentenced to life in... Hawaii :)
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Valiant »

katschamne wrote:I hope that you are feeling better Valiant. I see that I missed this posting. I have had a couple accidents and I have asked the same thing if more protective gear would have helped me and every answer has been no.
Which makes sense. The protective gear doesn't prevent the accident, it just reduces the damage.
In each of those times I've asked it gear would have helped and in each case the answer was no. I did have boots, gloves, leather jacket, jeans and a helmet. I only have a leather jacket because I can't find gear with armor to fit me, and believe me I have tried. The last two times the jacket was scuffed and I had minor scratches. My pants never ripped. The gear I had did protect me against road rash just not the broken bones. I would be riding today but it's in the shop getting an oil change and tune up.
Okay, so isn't this kind of backwards with regards to criticizing gear? If you don't have impact armor, it shouldn't come as a shock that you have zero protection against breaking your bones. What little gear you did have did its job, you don't have road rash.
Each time I fall I look at it as what could I've done differently. It wasn't nearly as scary falling the last time in grass as it was looking at the back of car and knowing I wasn't going to be able to stop in time.
This is why I generally like to keep enough distance between me and the car in front of me in case I need to stop in a hurry. I also generally give buses and other large vehicles a wide berth in case a car tries to cut right behind it.
Steph wrote:@Katschamne- I would like to recommend wearing armored Hi-Viz gear. Like in my profile picture. I now wear a fullface helmet and knee and shin protection now. Broken bones are a little harder to prevent even with armored gear. But, It helps.
Yeah, I'd prefer to go without the metal rod stuck in my leg to hold the pieces together.

Little curious about what you do to stay cool in the summer though. My gear is perfectly cool if I move faster than 10 mph, it just gets damned hot when I have to walk around in the thing.
Mel46 wrote:I don't think i have seen a break quite like those, and i was an X-ray tech during Viet Nam. How did you break it at the top AND the bottom at the same time?? It looks like you twisted your foot after the upper bonewas broken, thereby snapping the lower one while it was still in the boot. That is not a normal break, but it obviously happens. Did they have to put pins in it? I would expect so on the lower one.
The good thing is that it will heal, maybe even as good as new. The bad part is that if you move to a climate that changes to extremes you will feel it in your leg. Stay in Hawaii and you will be fine. Good luck in the future.
Yep, I got screwed :lol: . I honestly don't know if I twisted it, but the utter lack of damage to the boot would suggest that I did.
homie wrote: Sentenced to life in... Hawaii :)
I think I'll manage 8) .
katschamne
Regular User
Regular User

Post by katschamne »

Okay, so isn't this kind of backwards with regards to criticizing gear? If you don't have impact armor, it shouldn't come as a shock that you have zero protection against breaking your bones. What little gear you did have did its job, you don't have road rash.
I wasn't criticizing gear, more to the point like you said it doesn't prevent an accident it might reduce the damage. I was was trying to say the armor gear is more for skids and not breakage. Just like the helmet I wear protects me against bugs, rocks and maybe in some crashes but if the accident is bad enough it won't save you. I believe in some kinds of gear even if it's minimal. You will never see me out there in shorts, flip flops (both of which is what I wear all the time when I'm not on two wheels) or without a helmet but I will admit I have ridden without gloves and a jacket in warmer weather. Although in the accident I kind of had road rash on my knee from my jeans. They didn't rip but it was like a really bad rug burn.
This is why I generally like to keep enough distance between me and the car in front of me in case I need to stop in a hurry. I also generally give buses and other large vehicles a wide berth in case a car tries to cut right behind it.
I agree. Although in this case I was on the main road and she was pulling out of a parking lot. I saw her coming up to the stop sign pretty fast so I started to slowed down. She appeared to slowing as well until she rolled right though the stop sign. She didn't even look my way when she turned. If she hadn't turned wide I would have been able to go around her.

Steph wrote:@Katschamne- I would like to recommend wearing armored Hi-Viz gear. Like in my profile picture. I now wear a fullface helmet and knee and shin protection now. Broken bones are a little harder to prevent even with armored gear. But, It helps.
Unfortunately none of the armor gear fits me. I am a large girl and even if I try men's gear it still doesn't fit.
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

YEA BABY!

Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Valiant »

katschamne wrote: I wasn't criticizing gear, more to the point like you said it doesn't prevent an accident it might reduce the damage. I was was trying to say the armor gear is more for skids and not breakage.
Abrasion resistant fabrics like leather, kevlar, and textiles are meant for "skids" and prevent road rash. Impact absorbing armor is meant to provide some protection for your bones.
Just like the helmet I wear protects me against bugs, rocks and maybe in some crashes but if the accident is bad enough it won't save you.
Nobody expects perfection. It's the brain that decides whether you hit that car at 60 mph, at 40 mph, or not at all.
I believe in some kinds of gear even if it's minimal. You will never see me out there in shorts, flip flops (both of which is what I wear all the time when I'm not on two wheels) or without a helmet but I will admit I have ridden without gloves and a jacket in warmer weather. Although in the accident I kind of had road rash on my knee from my jeans. They didn't rip but it was like a really bad rug burn.
In my experience with bicycling, jeans IMO don't provide any better protection than any other fabric.
Unfortunately none of the armor gear fits me. I am a large girl and even if I try men's gear it still doesn't fit.
If price is no object, have it custom made:
http://www.motoport.com/index.php?optio ... &Itemid=15
William T
Year: Model 2013
Color: Red 150

Post by William T »

Sorry to hear of your accident. I also had a good one when I was learning all I can say is it taught me a lesson, very hard one. I agree with whitnoise's post the most. Safety gear reduces the odds but probably not as much as experience and lessons learned. No matter how much gear you have though anything can happen unexpectedly. Learn, wear proper gear and try again.
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2014
Color: Silver

Post by davenowherejones »

I know this is an old thread but did the injured person heal up ok? Ride again? Get good gear?

Was the op male or female, young or old?

I have had numerous injuries. Some of them my fault, some not. I still ride but older bones heal slower and hurt more.

Super heavy rain & snow today so the motorcycles are sleeping.
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

Yes, HE went on to many a good post and then finally road off the Island into the drink... man I have missed that booty video a lot!!!! LETS RIDE!