Help Adding USB to PCX150

Cosmetic accessories, comfort accessories, windshields, luggage racks, etc.

Moderator: Modsquad

Allobar

Help Adding USB to PCX150

Post by Allobar »

I want to add a USB power supply to my PCX150....
I am thinking that using a mini-blade wire tap like this one: http://www.amazon.com/Shipping-Holder-C ... B00EO5P2B4
and then wiring in the waterproof USB from here: http://www.chromeworld.com/2013-honda-p ... ger-13-208

My questions are... 1. will this work?
2. Which fuse should I piggy back off of?
3. What size fuse should I use for the dual USB charger? I'm guessing 10 amps...but that is just guessing..

Thanks!
-T
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Re: Help Adding USB to PCX150

Post by iceman »

If they state it supplies a max of 3.1A combined, and I would hope it's overload/short-cct protected, I would go with a 5A max. Even better would be a 3A and only use 1 port at a time or devices that do not take the max current.
Allobar

Post by Allobar »

That makes sense but which existing fuse should I piggy-back it off of?
The owners manual doesn't show what fuse does what...
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I went about this in a different way. I installed a 12 volt outlet on the bike and purchased an adapter that accepts usb devices. That way I can either charge something or I can run my gps off of it. I also have an adapter that can take 2 usb device's at once. Each adapter has a built in restriction on the amaount of current it will allow total and individually.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Allobar

Post by Allobar »

Very cool, but where di you wire the 12 v to? I really could use some help figuring which fuse I can piggy back off of or "tap" without affecting the performance of the bike?
Dustoff66
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2011
Color: Red

Post by Dustoff66 »

Allobar wrote:Very cool, but where di you wire the 12 v to? I really could use some help figuring which fuse I can piggy back off of or "tap" without affecting the performance of the bike?
See my post on this in the Ermax +25 comments. I put a 12v outlet inside the glovebox and wired it to the main relay. I posted pics of the setup. Very easy to do.
Attachments
Wiring setup.jpg
Wiring setup.jpg (272.84 KiB) Viewed 1813 times
wingz
Regular User
Regular User
Color: Dark Silver

Post by wingz »

Looks like a nice solution. I just hacked my own one together using some crap I found at home. It does the job but your proposal looks excellent.

It shouldn't matter which fuse you piggy back off because you put that fuse back in the adapter.
I would use any one that is energized when you turn the key... but it depends what you want.
I trust it comes with instructions so that you can see how to fit it the right way around and put the original fuse in the correct slot.

The current should be limited automatically by the charger/port... it would be really stupid to make it any other way. But it should say so in the specs/instructions.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

That is the best solution I have seen. Because I have so many additional devices and I have connected them all directly to the battery, I need to, some how, put all of them together on some kind of junction block and then connect that to the main relay or some other place that only activates them when the key is turned on. I have lights just like Dave put on his scooter and the mechanic that was looking at my bike accidentally turned them on during the day time while in the parking lot. Needless to say, they killed the battery in no time. Then I have the 12 volt adapter which would be on all the time if I connect my gps to it, plus I have a Bad Boy Horn that could clear a room if you press the horn button, though it uses the original horn button, which I think is connected to the ignition, so I think that would be ok.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers