why the PCX??

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

why the PCX??

Post by fish »

I am asking this because I am genuinely interested in your responses.
I'm a new Forza owner, but looked hard at the PCX that you all own.
What is it about these PCXs that inspire such an avid following?
I read that they are the most popular small scoot in Europe....and I see videos of folks riding them all over the continents.
No offense, but I read a lot about how difficult these things are to work on.......you have to take the bike apart to do a simple valve adjustment, etc....and this "sits" such a small scoot...are all of you folks short of stature?
Talk PCXs to me for a few minutes.....why and what do you love about these scoots.....is it to do with the Honda quality of design and workmanship is?
Thanks, Fish
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Re: why the PCX??

Post by kramnala58 »

Why I chose the PCX ....

- Honda = qualuty, reliability
- Physical size compared to the Forza. I drive exclusively in a mega city where weaving in and around hundreds of cars stopped for traffic lights is permitted. Even though the Forza is only slightly larger than the PCX in physical size, every inch/cm counts.
- Motor size. I have a 125 and a 150 would be nice, but being that I drive exclusively in the city, the 300cc of the Forza is more than I need.
- Size compared to other scooters. At just over 6 (185 cm), most other scooter feel too small.
- Design. I have heard someone describe them as the iPhone of scooters. To each his own, but there does seem to be something unique about the PCX that I like.
- Price. Quite a bit less expensive than the Forza.

Having said all of that, if I lived in rural Ohio like you do, I would probably choose the Forza and maybe even a Silverwing. If/when I move back to the US or Canada, I will likely be looking at either/both of those.

PS - Keep your great pictures coming. I really enjoy them.
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
Steph
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013 150cc
Color: Black PCX

Post by Steph »

One day I started looking at scooters on the net and got caught by my Husband. He showed an extreme interest. I did more research and concluded that the Honda PCX would be the best for my Husband and I. I presented my findings to my husband and he approved. next thing I know, we are the happy owners of black and red PCX 150s. We ride in the country and city. Not the best for the expressway where cars are going 80 MPH. Though my husband has gone on the expressway. He also rides to work 50 miles round trip.Very nimble bike and can get excellent parking near the entrance doors at stores. Least but not last, is the price and gas mileage. :D
Duggle
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013 - 150
Color: black

Post by Duggle »

Same as the reasons above for me too.

On the other hand, why the Forza for you? I think that if I bought another larger scooter that is capable of freeway and two-up riding that it may be the Piaggio BV350. The maxi scooter to me seems more like a large touring motorcycle like the Goldwing (or the Honda Pacific Coast that never took off) whereas I would like something a little more nimble and sporty.

When looking at everything I wanted in a scooter, the Aprilia SportCity 250 seemed to be the best for me. Although I could still buy a new or used older model, when I found that they stopped importing them to America after 2013 that was a big red flag (parts and service availability). I started looking much harder at the Honda because of their good name and quality, the only thing I worried about was would a 150 with a top speed around 65 be enough? Decided to just deal with the speed and power, then when the local dealership had a sale on their 2013 PCXs...
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

When we purchased our PCX 150 I owned a Burgman 400. It was a beautiful bike but my wife didn't want to always ride behind me, so we went to the dealer to look at what they had. My wife had not ridden since she was a teenage, so she needed simple. We saw the PCX sitting among some other scooters. It looked like a little motorcycle. She loved the style but we were worried that it would not be able to keep up with my scooter. The dealer assured us that once it was broken in it would keep up if we didn't go over 67 mph. Well, it handled so well in town that I traded my Burgman in eventually and got one for myself. It handles tight corners and small parking spots beautifully. If you spend most of your time riding in the city, this little scooter is ideal.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
andyscooter

Post by andyscooter »

was looking at a 10 year old silverwing but was 100 miles away and a private sale

wife spotted the pcx and desided it would be ideal for my commute

liked the warrenty no mot and locality of the dealer

also was cheaper then the wing

asked about it and picked it up a week later

since then bought a suzuki burgman 400 as well and sold my italian stuff
dasshreddar
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: forzaruckuspcx

Post by dasshreddar »

For me it's about light weight, I want my ride as light as possible, but not tiny...150 lbs more for the forza, no thank you.
The PCX was the "closest" to what I was looking for in a scooter, but obviously I've had to tweak it to fit my needs.
All that being said, if I find a donor forza, I will put it to good use. ;) PCXFORZARUCKUS :lol:
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

In Europe small scooters like the PCX are popular in cities where you just don't need more than 125cc.
Also licencing laws favour 125s because that's as big as you can ride without taking a full test.
The PCX is popular because its cheap to buy and run, has excellent handling and very good underseat storage for a compact 125.
Maintenance foibles mostly aren't an issue because people ride them short distances so a 2500 mile service might last six months to a year.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

[quote="Duggle"]Same as the reasons above for me too.

On the other hand, why the Forza for you? I think that if I bought another larger scooter that is capable of freeway and two-up riding that it may be the Piaggio BV350. The maxi scooter to me seems more like a large touring motorcycle like the Goldwing (or the Honda Pacific Coast that never took off) whereas I would like something a little more nimble and sporty.
quote]
Oh, yes I looked hardest of all at a beautiful new Piaggio BV350. Gorgeous scooter!! Absolutely beautiful to my eye since I am a Vespa lover, and a Kymco LIKE owner (Moc Vespa/Lambretta shape - drawn for Kymco by a Italian design house).
Lovely looking scooter and was so nearly tipped by the looks ... and this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsOf9NhW ... uHkbXvVkNg

But even though I got a fantastic out the door price which was even better than the OTD price I bargained the Forza for....
This is rural Ohio. This rural Ohio Piaggio dealer is 35 miles away & is hanging on by a thread.
There are 4 Honda scooter dealers with-in 40 miles of me.
If that Piaggio dealer goes under....I'm in trouble for parts and service.
The Honda products I know (4 previous motorcycles)....so, I put the quality Honda in my garage...and will just day dream about waxing that Pretty Italian Lady. (If I lived in SoCal, it would likely be a whole different story!)
The Forza shape is slowly growing on me - happy it is in the garage.
Fish
Duggle
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013 - 150

Post by Duggle »

Yes, I can see why you chose the Forza, especially with your location and just to be clear I wasn't knocking the decision, just asking. Any Honda is not going to be a bad decision.

On the other hand, Vespa Motorsport (ScootersWest, the place in your video) is a huge dealership and is just a few miles from me here in San Diego. They have Vespa, Piaggio, Kymco and Genuine scooters. I wanted to go over there and test drive some but ended up buying the PCX from the motorcycle dealer across town before even getting my license for the reasons above so never actually got to go around town trying out different scooters first like I wanted to. The guys at ScooterWest are super nice and I could have test ridden some bikes if I had my license. There's also a place with Syms here and I wanted to try the HD 200 Evo too. Dealerships aren't a problem here but like I said Aprilia pulling all US models except there 50cc bikes was a no-no for me.
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2015
Color: White

Post by Valiant »

It's about $2,000 cheaper, it has better mpg, it's lighter, it's smaller(good if parking space is an issue), and I generally stay off the freeways. If I do have to go on the freeway, the highest speed limit here is 60, so the PCX should keep up fine. But I have yet to find myself wanting more speed.
Ratster
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Ratster »

I was thumbing through the battle scooter thread on Adv Rider and saw a Pcx. I liked the looks of it. Found this website stayed up all night reading and the rest is history. Now I wanna trade it for a 15 model :oops:
Slickvic
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Slickvic »

Valiant wrote:It's about $2,000 cheaper, it has better mpg, it's lighter, it's smaller(good if parking space is an issue), and I generally stay off the freeways.

Exactly. Why NOT the PCX?
Previous - 1986 Honda Elite 250, 2007 Ninja 500r, 2013 Honda PCX-150
Current - 2015 Honda CBR650F :o
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Slickvic wrote:Why NOT the PCX?
Because its too slow.
Great in town and country back lanes, shite on the open road.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

It isn't great on open roads but it is capable. Others on this forum have taken them across the United States. I don't know how comfortable it would be, but it is capable. Still, it was meant for inner city riding and it does that quite well.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Mel46 wrote:It isn't great on open roads
Correct, because its too slow.
Lecompte
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Lecompte »

I am now on my second PCX, moving from a 125 to a 150. I chose a Honda because of the quality
and reliabilty issue discussed so many times on this forum. The PCX seems to be the right size for me
and I stand 5'10" and weigh in at a "sleek" 225 pounds! Am 64 years young and a neighbor got me
hooked with a Metropolitan that I fell in love with the ride.

Price was very important to me, especially since retirement is getting closer in my future. I simply
wanted something for fun, relaxation, and stress relief. My wife does not ride but loves the design
of the scoot. By the way, I went with the red color on the 150. I am surely not a speed demon and
find in my area that 40 m.p.h. is very comfortable for me. Never have to ride it on a freeway or
Interstate.

Last but not least----gas mileage. What a winner!! All in all I love my PCX. Eventually may have to address
that hump in the seat that has been discussed here so many times!!!!!!