How-To: Swap the Rear Suspension

Maintenance, guides, and walkthroughs for your PCX. Please do not post questions about repairing or fixing your bike here.

Moderator: Modsquad

Mgalutia88
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013 PCX 150
Color: Red

Re: How-To: Swap the Rear Suspension

Post by Mgalutia88 »

Pcx125, 310mm is the stock length and 280mm is the Takegawa length.
Mgalutia88
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013 PCX 150

Post by Mgalutia88 »

Also as an FYI, Racing Planet UK does not ship to the US. The Racing Planet USA site does however carry YSS shocks.
pcx125
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by pcx125 »

Thanks for the infor
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Except for the Takegawa lowering shocks, which are 265 mm.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
depthman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by depthman »

maddiedog~!
you saved my butt with this generous tutorial... my neighbor works on bikes and ATVs, said he could replace my shocks for $40... then he got halfway in and wanted to blow me off! Didn't know how to get the pan out, but I printed out your instructions and he did it really fast. Cost me $80 instead but way better than dealer price ($230!) and the guy is right across the street
THANK YOU (already sent support to forum!) :lol:
ron labbe
red 2013 PCX150
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord

Post by maddiedog »

No problem, always glad to help. :)
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

What fender eliminator is that?
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord

Post by maddiedog »

you you wrote:What fender eliminator is that?
ERMAX undertray.
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

maddiedog wrote:
you you wrote:What fender eliminator is that?
ERMAX undertray.

Want one
Urbanfreestyle
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014 (UK)
Color: Black

Post by Urbanfreestyle »

This came in really handy to lfit my airfilter.... Shame it didn't fit! :-(
Honda PCX 125 ESP (Black)
Power:11.7 hp @8500 rpm, Torque:12Nm @5000rpm
Mods: LED sidelights, Yoshimura Exhaust

DEAD: 2013 Piaggio Typhoon 4 stroke 125cc (Black)
Power:9.65 HP @8500 rpm, Torque:8.2Nm @7500 rpm
Mods: Malossi Red foam filter, Hex LED Sidelights, Xenon headlights, USB charging port
dem0nk1d
Regular User
Regular User

Post by dem0nk1d »

Just a heads up the springs on the stock shocks are replaceable. If you wanted a lower shock you could cut 6 coils out to get the same height.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

Just to let everyone know, I decided to go ahead and tear down my bike in preparation for Dave and I putting the same type shocks on my bike. Thanks to this How-to I have been able to fully tear down my bike and install the new shocks without having to inconvenience Dave. I have all of the equipment I need in my semi- finished basement. I even have an I-beam (actually 2 I-beams hold the house up) in the basement that I used with a ratchet strap to take the weight off of the shocks. Dave made that recommendation. It worked quite well. Luckily, every time I had a question that was not discussed in the How-to, I would call Dave and he would walk me through it. The only real question I had was what the size of the exhaust bolts were that were connected to the block, since they are chromed and had rounded tops. I finally got a large mirror and a small clip on book light to actually see what was up there. (Its a 10 mm with a long head on it. Strange looking.) So once again, thank you Dave for all of your help and your GREAT How-to!!
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

Hopefully everyone can see this picture. This is what the exhaust area at the block looks like after the exhaust is removed. It is not easy to reattach the exhaust though. I had to have my wife block the front tire, weigh down the handlebar area with some tools, and use ratchet straps to raise the bike high enough for me to actually see up into the area where the exhaust connects to the engine. Then I had to use my knees to raise the muffler enough to align it. What a pain! It worked though. That is all that matters.
IMG_20140815_083457.jpg
IMG_20140815_083457.jpg (22.25 KiB) Viewed 3801 times
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Mel46 wrote:Hopefully everyone can see this picture. This is what the exhaust area at the block looks like after the exhaust is removed. It is not easy to reattach the exhaust though. I had to have my wife block the front tire, weigh down the handlebar area with some tools, and use ratchet straps to raise the bike high enough for me to actually see up into the area where the exhaust connects to the engine. Then I had to use my knees to raise the muffler enough to align it. What a pain! It worked though. That is all that matters.
IMG_20140815_083457.jpg

I didn't have this problem. Couple of nuts onto the head and thee bolts to the "swinging arm". 2 minute job.

Have I missed something?
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

The 3 bolts were not the problem. That was easy. However, I had to actually see where to insert the exhaust into the block bolts. Without actually seeing where to insert it, trying toget it aligned correctly was difficult. I would get one in and find that the other was beside its bolt. Then I would have to start all over. When I finally was able to finally look at it while inserting it, I had no problems at all. Definitely a 2 minute job then. There is probably a secret to doing this easier, but I don't do this often enough to learn about it.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

djcat
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2012
Color: Black

Post by djcat »

maddiedog wrote:The wall of tools:
img01.JPG
It's not the most impressive, but gets the job done. It's functional at least!

I have dozens of floorplans I've made for me and my wife's dream house one day. She always says that if I spent as much time designing the rest of the house designs as I did the garage, I could have become an architect. :lol:

What a nice garage!

I am always impressed by the amazingly large garages my mates and colleagues have in the US. Some of them are larger then many central London flats that cost 2000+ Pounds to rent...am lucky to have a house with a garage half the size here.
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax

Post by Jge64 »

Mel-

I am doing this mod is soon as I get the bike in a week or two. I want to because of the preload feature and on a very shallow note, I like the red springs. LOL My question to you is for a person who is going to ride just through neighborhoods, weighs 225 pounds, will the lowered position sground me out on some turns? Or will I BE OK. I ride very slowly due to a back injury, no sport riding at all.
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
ONTWOWHEELS
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: WHITE

Post by ONTWOWHEELS »

Congratulations for a very good <<how to>> ! :D
HONDA PCX 125 /2015 - HONDA PCX 150/2016
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

To answer the question asked earlier, the lowering shocks are adjustable, so I set mine to the middle setting, which works well for most bumps. I have a bad back also, with 6 back surgeries under my belt, (who really wants to count back surgeries??). When I ride I have a wrap that I use around my mid-section and back to give my back some support. The shocks work quite well in combination with the wrap, and in fact held up nicely when I had my accident.

Speaking of the accident, my bike is coming back together nicely. I ordered the replacement parts and they arrived within a week or two. I use Dave's how-to to take it apart and put it back together. Thank you Dave.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Scarlett
Year: 2016

Post by Scarlett »

Hi- I am mainly a reader, not a poster on this forum-mainly cause I am never at a computer where I can type easily. I have a question, though, and I hope someone could answer it for me. I bought my 2016 pcx 150 about a year ago and have to ride about 3 miles over a very rough road just to get out of my neighborhood. The road is very wavy and I cannot ride over 20 mph or I get whiplash and a sore back. Also, I ride on less than pristine country roads on my way to work so that is not too comfortable either. I am hoping to improve my ride by purchasing the Takegawa lowering shocks I have read about here. Okay-here is my question. When you put them on, do you have to remove your side stand or buy a shorter side stand? I really don't want to give up the stand but may have to. I like the idea of "lowering" the bike cause I am only 5' 2" tall and I think I would have better control over the bike. I also see that the shocks seem to only be sold on web bike now. Does anyone know of another place they are sold? (Thats two questions, but I appreciate the feedback in advance!) Thanks!