Terrible experience at the MVA today

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

mongerhater

Terrible experience at the MVA today

Post by mongerhater »

Went to Maryland's mva today to transfer the title and register the pcx. Got there and waited in line for 20mins to my number. The receptionist told me to get a tag, I would need to pay the tax at 6% of the value of the scooter which was $2445 so tax was like $145 or something. And that I need to get it inspected. So I said sure and waited for my Number to be called. Over 80minutes later, I got called. Gave the man the title and insurance info. He tried looking it up for 20min, he finally asked what it was. I said it was a scooter. He said "oh, you need to go to a tag and title place, we don't do scooters here." I told him that the mva site says anything over 50cc needs to be registered as a motorcycle and a scooter means anything without pedals. He tried again for like 10min and says it's still coming up as a scooter and mva doesn't do scooters. So I left and went to a title and tag place, they told me instantly that it is a motorcycle bc it's over 50cc and that I need to get it inspected and that to do it there would be $230 and the mva would be $170. So I decided to go back to the mva and walked straight up to the same guy and told him what I was just told. He said that he can't do it bc they don't have the retail value of the bike so I slammed down the photo copied of the value book that the kind lady at the tag and title place made for me. He said "oh, let me find my supervisor", 10 mins of not being able to find his supervisor, he went back to the computer tried to do it. He said my scooter is a honda pcx 150D and that it's coming up as a off road vehicle. So I argued that it's not. And he went back to a bunch of co workers and they had like a 10mim huddle session. He returned with a ORV decal and told me it's $145 today ( for the tax) and told me that I don't need to get it inspected or motorcycle license. I was so fed up and just took the decal and left. Now I'm confused, should I just go along with the ORV and ride as if it is one and not bother getting a license? Or maybe it is a ORV? Probably going to try a different mva on monday
2013 Red PCX 150. First and only 2 wheel vehicle
DAB
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: Red

Re: Terrible experience at the MVA today

Post by DAB »

mongerhater wrote:Went to Maryland's mva today to transfer the title and register the pcx. Got there and waited in line for 20mins to my number. The receptionist told me to get a tag, I would need to pay the tax at 6% of the value of the scooter which was $2445 so tax was like $145 or something. And that I need to get it inspected. So I said sure and waited for my Number to be called. Over 80minutes later, I got called. Gave the man the title and insurance info. He tried looking it up for 20min, he finally asked what it was. I said it was a scooter. He said "oh, you need to go to a tag and title place, we don't do scooters here." I told him that the mva site says anything over 50cc needs to be registered as a motorcycle and a scooter means anything without pedals. He tried again for like 10min and says it's still coming up as a scooter and mva doesn't do scooters. So I left and went to a title and tag place, they told me instantly that it is a motorcycle bc it's over 50cc and that I need to get it inspected and that to do it there would be $230 and the mva would be $170. So I decided to go back to the mva and walked straight up to the same guy and told him what I was just told. He said that he can't do it bc they don't have the retail value of the bike so I slammed down the photo copied of the value book that the kind lady at the tag and title place made for me. He said "oh, let me find my supervisor", 10 mins of not being able to find his supervisor, he went back to the computer tried to do it. He said my scooter is a honda pcx 150D and that it's coming up as a off road vehicle. So I argued that it's not. And he went back to a bunch of co workers and they had like a 10mim huddle session. He returned with a ORV decal and told me it's $145 today ( for the tax) and told me that I don't need to get it inspected or motorcycle license. I was so fed up and just took the decal and left. Now I'm confused, should I just go along with the ORV and ride as if it is one and not bother getting a license? Or maybe it is a ORV? Probably going to try a different mva on monday
I got angry just reading this, good luck :roll:
Other rides
Yamaha MT-01, Yamaha BT1100, Yamaha WR250R, Ducati 900 GTS, Honda VFR 750FV, Honda Forza 350
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2019
Color: Black

Post by Alibally »

Sounds like a bunch of twats.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Makes our system look excellent.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2015
Color: White

Post by Valiant »

Don't suppose you could call ahead to confirm, talk to someone in charge who would be there, then come on the same day if it's available and the supervisor is working? Might be a bit better to know for sure and have someone's name you can pull up before spending another few hours there.
GeorgeSK
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 13PCX,15Forza
Color: Both Red

Post by GeorgeSK »

The registry is not lit by high wattage bulbs no matter what the state. In retrospect, having the dealer get the plate was probably worth far more than the amount they charged me for the service. A visit cannot be avoided with a private sale - it is truely depressing that the workers didn't have a clue about the laws they are supposed to be working under.
On my scoot, getting there is WAY more than half the fun!

Please paste this address into a new tab and add yourself to the map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1NlP7xk7KMdJReQnm-iDhldFBdpQ&ll=4.995760578398276%2C0&z=2
but please, don't delete anybody, no matter how badly they deserve deleting :)
rodsterinfl

Post by rodsterinfl »

Nutso. In FL it is cut and dry- based on engine cc. Anything over 50cc is legally termed a motorcycle and is treated as such. Even so, other things here are not clear and clumsy at times like your experience.
GeezyRider
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by GeezyRider »

I am so happy to have escaped the Peoples Republic of Maryland. When I lived there, I learned real quick not to visit the Baltimore area MVA offices. The Westminster and Annapolis offices provided much better service. I have been living in Delaware for 10 years now and my local DMV is wonderful--quick efficient and inexpensive. It has never taken me more than 20 minutes to complete a licensing or titling transaction. Best of all, the employees there are pleasant and well-trained.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Alibally wrote:Sounds like a bunch of twats.

You're turning into gn2
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Post by kramnala58 »

Wow, sorry to hear of your challenges. Are there any dealers in the area that you could stop in at and ask if they can give you some advice on what you might be able to tell the MVA? Failing that, your thought about trying another MVA office might be a good idea.
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2019

Post by Alibally »

you you wrote:
Alibally wrote:Sounds like a bunch of twats.

You're turning into gn2
Probably
chucktuna
I'm up to 12 or 13 now...
I'm up to 12 or 13 now...

Post by chucktuna »

Sounds like some of the douche'-baggery we deal with in Illinois.

Not to get political, but this is what's wrong with most government run enterprises....
DMV, VA, SSA.. You name it, they suck
Too many scoots..... 12 or so I think .
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

chucktuna wrote:Sounds like some of the douche'-baggery we deal with in Illinois.

Not to get political, but this is what's wrong with most government run enterprises....
DMV, VA, SSA.. You name it, they suck

Milk shakes?
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I have to say that here in Georgia, and most of the South it seems, tags for motorcycles are straight forward, and the PCX 150 is considered a motorcycle. How do you inspect a motorcycle? I ask this because I have never had one inspected. In Georgia the only inpection is for cars, and that is only for the emissions. I know the South is quite lenient when it comes to cars, but when it comes to motorcycles, really, what is inspected?
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
GeezyRider
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by GeezyRider »

Mel46 wrote:I know the South is quite lenient when it comes to cars, but when it comes to motorcycles, really, what is inspected?
I had to have my PCX inspected when I bought it new because I purchased it in another state. At that time they only verified that the VIN on the bike matched the VIN on the Certificate of Origin.

I'm guessing that a used bike inspection or tag renewal inspection would include checking lights, horn, brakes and possibly emissions.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

Emissions?? On a motorcycle?? I have seen motorcycles with no muffler. Is there something else on them to handle emissions?
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

GeezyRider
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by GeezyRider »

Mel46 wrote:Emissions?? On a motorcycle?? I have seen motorcycles with no muffler. Is there something else on them to handle emissions?
My stock PCX has two catalytic converters to handle emissions.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

Well I guess I have learned something new. When I started riding 50 years ago there was no such thing as catalytic converters. When they started putting them on cars it never occurred to me that they would also put them on motorcycles. Where would they put them? Most of the motorcycles I have seen have no hidden areas. As an example, we looked at a V Star 250 and the engine is exposed. Do they put it in the mufflers?
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

It's been a legal requirement in the UK for years. If the Catalytic convertor in a car fails, it can cost a huge amount, and the shortening of the stock exhaust topic, I believe, mentioned catalytic material in the exhaust.
Bash On!
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Bash On! »

I feel for you.

Had to go to the equivalent office here in Texas recently. Texas works it a little differently because for a new title you have to go to the county tax office. Renewals go to the motor vehicle administration and drivers licenses are at a state police-run office. Very confusing to someone new to the state.

In addition, my transactions were sort of complicated. I had to get an inherited out-of-state car registered, pick up a special radio operator's tag for the PCX and register a new-to-me antique BMW motorcycle. I did a lot of research online to make sure I had all the right forms. It was complicated even for me, an attorney who deals in forms and legal documents every day.

Things at the tax office went pretty well once I convinced them that as executor of the estate I could indeed transfer the car title to myself. The supervisor doing all the transactions was helpful but tagged the BMW as an antique rather than a vintage motorcycle (difference in inspection requirement and usage allowed) and failed to add my wife as co-owner on the car and BMW.

I decided to leave well enough alone and not complain or attempt to make corrections.
2013 PCX 150 [now an ex-bike, soon to be consigned to the bottom line of the sig]
2013 Silver Wing ABS (Black)
1971 BMW R75/5 (White)
Too many ex-bikes to list, and, besides, who really cares what we used to own?