Is this a good price for a new 2013 pcx?

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

mongerhater

Is this a good price for a new 2013 pcx?

Post by mongerhater »

I saw a new black 2013 pcx at the local dealer and it had a price tag of $2699. So I asked him about it about came out being a $1000+ more than that so I asked him to break it down for me.

MSRP $3449
Our Price $2999
Freight $200
Assembly $160
Title Processing $199
Subtotal $3558
Tax $213.48
Registration $20
Licensing $224
Subtotal $4035.48
Customer Cash Back $300

Total
$3735.48

Is that still a good price for a new 2013 out the door? Can I haggle some of those fees and price? Look somewhere else? Wait for the 2015 model?
2013 Red PCX 150. First and only 2 wheel vehicle
Bash On!
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Is this a good price for a new 2013 pcx?

Post by Bash On! »

Hard to say if it's a good price. Pricing seems to be local.

It's always a shock to me how the price of motor vehicles goes up with all the add-ons. It's especially true (percentage-wise) for relatively cheap vehicles like the PCX. For example, the dealer's title processing fee (doing the legwork for the title) is probably the same for a $3000 bike or a $20,000 one.

There's not much mark-up on these bikes but you can always negotiate anything on the purchase order. You might have better luck with costs such as the title processing fee, which stays with the dealer, than you would on destination charges or fees that go to the state (taxes, etc.). Oftentimes, I prefer just to negotiate the out-the-door price, rather than negotiate line by line--it's simpler.

Only way to know if you're getting the best possible deal is if they let you leave the dealership instead of negotiating more. Even then, I'll tell the salesperson to call me if they change their minds later. If they won't budge on purchase price, perhaps they have flexibility to include the first service, or some money towards accessories.

Having bought dozens of new vehicles over several decades, I now tend to angst less about getting the last $100 out of the dealer. It's small change in the end, and my time and trouble (to negotiate longer) has a value, too.
2013 PCX 150 [now an ex-bike, soon to be consigned to the bottom line of the sig]
2013 Silver Wing ABS (Black)
1971 BMW R75/5 (White)
Too many ex-bikes to list, and, besides, who really cares what we used to own?
JoshM
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015 VStrom 650

Post by JoshM »

I was at $3800 OTD 5 months ago... WITH Honda's 5 year warranty plan blah blah.
Mgalutia88
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013 PCX 150
Color: Red

Post by Mgalutia88 »

First off, there is no legal standing for a doc fee. That is just pure profit for any dealer. Second, I paid $4200 OTD with the extended warranty.

What you were quoted is a good price!

Just know it's not really any cheaper than a year ago. They MAY get cheaper once the 2015 models hit the showroom in your dealer, but don't count on it. Again it's a good price.
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Shopping Days :P
Hey Mgalutia I just have to ask,...where do you reside?
Our Long Island prices should be dropping soon on the 2013. The 2015's are expected to arrive here by months end (got that info from two different dealers just two days ago). Say Ou, la, la! La, la, la!

No way would I pay the same OTD price for a 2013 while looking in the eyes of a 2015! Why would I? Or Anyone? My previously owned 2011 cost me $3,800 out the door in the fall of 2010. Would I have paid that amount when the 2013's appeared? No. I recently refused two different dealer prices on their remaining 2013 model. Ha! Too high. Told them someone will buy it, but it's Not me!
> Give them another week - four...they'll break. Make them Work those 2013 $$$ numbers!
To sell, you need a buyer.
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
mongerhater

Post by mongerhater »

Well, I just got a quote from another dealer but hes like 2 hours away but its $2700 OTD plus the tax, title, and registration in my own state. Does anyone know what that be around or how to look it up for the state of Maryland?
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

What's the definition of Out The Door mean to you?
I take it to be the Final cost to me with all numbers attached. Nothing more.
So, when I ask the a dealer the OTD price and if he responded with $2700, I'd say, is that your Final Answer? If he says yes, then writes it down on dealer letterhead or business card dated and signed.
Then I approve and say, Let's make That deal! $2700 & no more!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I am thinking that on the last dealer who priced his at $2700 OTD and then added taxes, etc. YOU WILL FIND THAT IT WILL COME OUT WITHIN PENNIES OF THE FIRST DEALER. That is just my opinion, but they either have to eat the cost for assembly or they will add it to the "etc" costs. The dealers only have so much wiggle room on these. Honda sets the expected sale cost of it, and the state sets the taxes and registration fees, so they don't have much else to play with. In the end, $2699 and $2700 are going to be the prices they will have to sell it at. The $300 that goes to the customer could be applied to handle the other costs they are going to "eat" , so they will all come out the same. Just different math.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
JCVA
Banned User
Banned User

Post by JCVA »

mongerhater wrote:I saw a new black 2013 pcx at the local dealer and it had a price tag of $2699. So I asked him about it about came out being a $1000+ more than that so I asked him to break it down for me.

MSRP $3449
Our Price $2999
Freight $200
Assembly $160
Title Processing $199
Subtotal $3558
Tax $213.48
Registration $20
Licensing $224
Subtotal $4035.48
Customer Cash Back $300

Total
$3735.48

Is that still a good price for a new 2013 out the door? Can I haggle some of those fees and price? Look somewhere else? Wait for the 2015 model?
no. You should be closer to $3000 for everything. What is the $224 for licensing? Is that for titling the bike, if so, that seems way too high.
The $300 customer cash can be taken off of the sticker to reduce the tax burden.
JCVA
Banned User
Banned User

Post by JCVA »

mongerhater wrote:Well, I just got a quote from another dealer but hes like 2 hours away but its $2700 OTD plus the tax, title, and registration in my own state. Does anyone know what that be around or how to look it up for the state of Maryland?
Try Honda of Gambrills or Honda of Rockville, both in Maryland. I got mine there for $2931 total OTD, that price included all fees and taxes.
Mgalutia88
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013 PCX 150
Color: Red

Post by Mgalutia88 »

I live in Missouri. At the time that was the best price of any dealer in my area. As was already said, the dealers really don't have much profit on new models. The best deal you will get is when Honda offers a promotion on the 2013 models to move them. It happens on all bikes when a new model comes out. Recently they were offering a promotion on the CBR250R.
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

Honda is now offering $300 Bonus Bucks valid through 8/31/14 on 2013 PCX
Details here: http://eshopping.honda.com/popNCertific ... de=details

"Is That All There Is?"
mongerhater

Post by mongerhater »

WhiteNoise wrote:Honda is now offering $300 Bonus Bucks valid through 8/31/14 on 2013 PCX
Details here: http://eshopping.honda.com/popNCertific ... de=details

"Is That All There Is?"
Yea, the mentioned that deal. If you looked at my first post. its the "$300" back at the end. Psst, deal...my ass
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

Yes, I know mongerhater. Just thought I'd share again along with the Honda link ^ provided.
(mo) Keep shopping and Good luck to you getting your bike at a price you are comfortable with :)
mongerhater

Post by mongerhater »

I have decided to go with 2013 red pcx that i found on craiglist for $2250. I will upload pictures when I pick it up on monday. Can someone tell me what I need to do when buying it from someone? Get title? Insure it before riding? Drive to DMV to register? and thats it?
JCVA
Banned User
Banned User

Post by JCVA »

mongerhater wrote:I have decided to go with 2013 red pcx that i found on craiglist for $2250. I will upload pictures when I pick it up on monday. Can someone tell me what I need to do when buying it from someone? Get title? Insure it before riding? Drive to DMV to register? and thats it?
Make sure the title is clean (no liens), it makes for a much easier private party transaction. Check to see that the person you are paying is the actual person listed on the title. Call your insurace company beforehand, set up the insurance, then when the transaction is complete, call them immediately with the VIN number. Go to DMV.
Just out of curiosity, how old are you?
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

When I bought my Burgman from an individual my insurance company told me that I had 5 days to get it on the policy, in case the company was closed when an individual tried to call. However, that was when I was adding another scooter. For a first buy you should line up your insurance in advance so you will have an idea of the cost. They will need the Vin number as soon as you buy it as well as other information. Have cash ready because many people do not trust checks. Ask the individual how he prefers to be paid before making any assumptions. When I purchased mine, the individual went to the bank with me so that the whole process was less painful. Make sure the previous owner gives you any records and manuals that go with the bike. I doubt that anything at all is wrong with the scooter you are buying, but look it over to make sure, and start it up to be sure it runs. Ask how old the battery is. I am betting that the person either found that the scooter wasn't powerful enough for him or he wanted the newest one and they wouldn't give him a good trade in. That is the problem with bikes in general. Trade in value drops fast, even though the bike is in beautiful condition. I really hope you enjoy that one as much as I am enjoying mine. It is well worth the money you are buying it for.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
mongerhater

Post by mongerhater »

I will be 27 in october. First bike, first time buying anything from private seller. I've checked progressive insurance and its $18 a month for basic. Seeing how this is only a $2300 scooter, I only went with the liability coverage.
mongerhater

Post by mongerhater »

I actually ended up picking up a 2013 red pcx150 for $2250, $30 transfer fee, and about $200 in gas and supplies to go pick it up. It only has 160 miles on it.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (620.25 KiB) Viewed 2202 times
JCVA
Banned User
Banned User

Post by JCVA »

mongerhater wrote:I actually ended up picking up a 2013 red pcx150 for $2250, $30 transfer fee, and about $200 in gas and supplies to go pick it up. It only has 160 miles on it.
Why not use the centerstand instead of leaning it on a garbage can to keep it from tipping over?