across the US and back on the PCX125... my experiences

Meetups, rallies, or scooter-related events.

Moderator: Modsquad

pozo

Re: across the US and back on the PCX125... my experiences

Post by pozo »

Ole wrote:What a gret ride! Wondering if anyone knows how much it costs to get in to this rally? Do they limit the number of riders? Is it held every year? I know, too many questions but I am intrigued.
$50. 100 riders. Held every two years. More Info at www.scootercannonball.com
Urbanfreestyle
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014 (UK)
Color: Black

Post by Urbanfreestyle »

Wish they had something in the uk / europe, the only 'scooter rallies' here are for vespa / lambretta riders :-(
Honda PCX 125 ESP (Black)
Power:11.7 hp @8500 rpm, Torque:12Nm @5000rpm
Mods: LED sidelights, Yoshimura Exhaust

DEAD: 2013 Piaggio Typhoon 4 stroke 125cc (Black)
Power:9.65 HP @8500 rpm, Torque:8.2Nm @7500 rpm
Mods: Malossi Red foam filter, Hex LED Sidelights, Xenon headlights, USB charging port
pozo

Post by pozo »

Urbanfreestyle wrote:Wish they had something in the uk / europe, the only 'scooter rallies' here are for vespa / lambretta riders :-(
Good opportunity to start one for general scooters.. :-)
Urbanfreestyle
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014 (UK)
Color: Black

Post by Urbanfreestyle »

I would love to but after organising a few car shows here i can only imagine the cost of insurance. Combine that with the number of 'fair weather' riders here in the UK and i think it would be tough, i have been toying with setting up a 1024 mile in 24 hrs challenge! Lol
Honda PCX 125 ESP (Black)
Power:11.7 hp @8500 rpm, Torque:12Nm @5000rpm
Mods: LED sidelights, Yoshimura Exhaust

DEAD: 2013 Piaggio Typhoon 4 stroke 125cc (Black)
Power:9.65 HP @8500 rpm, Torque:8.2Nm @7500 rpm
Mods: Malossi Red foam filter, Hex LED Sidelights, Xenon headlights, USB charging port
mongerhater

Post by mongerhater »

I'm about to pick up my pcx150 tomorrow from someone on craiglist who is 3 hours away. I was wondering what people use to hold their phone. And how to charge it? I think I saw a USB charger in one of the pictures and an iphone mount. And a clock. What kind and how to mount?
2013 Red PCX 150. First and only 2 wheel vehicle
pozo

Post by pozo »

mongerhater wrote:I'm about to pick up my pcx150 tomorrow from someone on craiglist who is 3 hours away. I was wondering what people use to hold their phone. And how to charge it? I think I saw a USB charger in one of the pictures and an iphone mount. And a clock. What kind and how to mount?
Congrats! I use a RAM mount to hold my phone and GPS units. The USB power port was installed professional to run off the key'ed line to the lights (since cell phones and GPS units do not draw too much power). Some folks have a lead connected to their battery to run a trickle charge, but I ride mine year around and haven't needed it. As for the clock, there are several options, but one of the easiest/cheapest is to head to your local K-mart/Wallmart and purchase a large Bell LCD bicycle clock --velcro it to the center of the handler and it works great.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

What happened to the OP on this thread?
rodsterinfl

Post by rodsterinfl »

pozo wrote:
Gossamer wrote:Hi Pozo, that is one amazing endurance trip.

I am across the other side of the world in NZ, just got my PCX for commuting and have wondered what it would be like for touring. I have another ride (Ducati 696) that I have used for trips around most of the country and my riding buddies have given me a heap of crap whenever I mention touring with the PCX. I should do a long trip on the PCX (when it has run in) just to prove them wrong. Great write-up and thanks for mentioning the mods on the bike, will bear them in mind when I plan my tour rides on the PCX.

Cheers.
Thanks! I would love to tour NZ one of these days --it is a beautiful place.

You should definitely plan your tour on the PCX! It would be a lovely way to see your country. Don't worry about your riding buddies on the big bikes --when they see how much fun you are having, they will probably want one too.

Rest assured, parked in my garage, right next to the PCX125 is a Candy-Apple Red Honda ST1300... ;-)

Agreed. I toured both NZ islands one summer in a camper. What a fantastic place.
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Post by kramnala58 »

Bump .... just bumping this so that it is easier to located when I try to move it to its proper thread
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
springer1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2018
Color: white

Post by springer1 »

Thanks for bumping this thread, seriously great reading. I followed guys riding the scooter cannon ball back when I had a 2 stroke Vespa and some people were going from Nome to New Orleans .... I think the cannon ball is every 2 years and scooters have a max wheel diameter of 10". But I may be wrong on that, maybe it's just a requirement for full segment points as they do handicap vintage stuff somehow. I'm not sure. It would be great if some PCXs were involved.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I think the have to meet 3 of the 5 requirements, so if they meet other requirements but have larger wheels they will be ok. This thread was about a pcx that did compete, so they are allowed. Keep in mind that the pcx 125 was around before the 150 came into existence so when this particular one was run the 150 had not come out yet, or may not have been widely available. We bought our first one in August of 2012 as a 2013 model.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
springer1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2018

Post by springer1 »

Roger that, understood. Oh yes and I see there was a PCX that finished 22nd in 2012 !
http://www.scootercannonball.com/result ... pdates.php

I'd love to do that but need to reverse age at least 20 years ..... it would be great if someone(s) on the forum can participate in 2018.
http://forum.scootercannonballrun.com
JustPassinThru
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2011

Post by JustPassinThru »

This is fascinating to me. I have a 125; and have put over 2200 miles on it. All of those in-town in nine months of ownership.

Love the thing. Especially love the mileage. I have saddlebags jury-rigged on it, for grocery runs; but I love your tailbox, and would like to know who sold the kit.

In Montana right now, but originally from Ohio. Have unlimited time but business back in Cleveland. A PCX tour of the nation would be SPLENDID...and CHEAP.
JustPassinThru
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2011

Post by JustPassinThru »

mongerhater wrote:I'm about to pick up my pcx150 tomorrow from someone on craiglist who is 3 hours away. I was wondering what people use to hold their phone. And how to charge it? I think I saw a USB charger in one of the pictures and an iphone mount. And a clock. What kind and how to mount?
I use a Ram X-grip (https://www.rammount.com/products/x-grip) and wire the charge cord through two trickle-charger leads, through a cigarette-lighter adapter, to the phone. PCX and Versys motorcycle both. On the PCX I bolt the tricklecharger-lead right off the battery; through the disconnect; then through the weatherstripping on the seat and up, laying free, to the handlebars and the mount. Obviously I don't leave it all out, except when I use it.

It's not neat but since I mostly use the PCX in-town and don't need the phone mount, it's fine for the few times I do.