Riding Tips

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Re: Riding Tips

Post by kramnala58 »

If I have to think about it, it's probably too late ... I think one of the best tips I've received is to look where you want to go .... heard it many times in other circumstance, but have found it to be more true than anything with the bike ... don't look at what you want to avoid once you've seen it and then look to where you want to go
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Lots of us are back on the roads again. Winter? Good Riddance!
So, I'm tossing in another video. This one, Slow Speed Cornering on a Scooter (on a PCX :D )
(This guy Ken, is Good!) ;)

Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Braking during acceleration?
Sounds completely wrong to me.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
skuuter
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by skuuter »

gn2 wrote:Braking during acceleration?
Sounds completely wrong to me.
Referred to here as "drag-braking"....I used it a lot driving Race Cars, but very, very seldom on a Bike...the other thing I had a bit of issue with was His "Lean to the outside", referred to as "counter-weighting" here....out on a road, Your speed should be more than enough to not need it. Used "sparingly" in parking lot situations maybe, but generally not considered acceptable on the road......NICE "Newbie-Basic-Technique" Video overall though..... 8)
Ridin' and Socializin' the Southeastern USA on a 2014 Honda FORZA 300 Scooter...45+ years of Riding averaging 30,000 miles per year...!!!
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

I was taught in basic training (and from assorted read material), to use a little rear brake in "tight" situations/cornering. I have done so, and it's the key to getting around safer/easier.
Applying some rear brake with a little throttle holds the bike up straight to accomplish the tight turn. I know, at first I didn't believe it, I was even scared to try it. In order to make his point the instructor said try this: get on your bicycle, do a tight turn (1/2 circle) peddling & applying your rear brake at the same time. BAM! It was Hard to peddle yes, but the bicycle stood upright and the turn was made clean & easier. (Except I had a fistful of rear brake making it Crazy hard to peddle at the same time :roll: dummie). I'm thinking the instructor in this video is saying the same thing but using a road turn/curve to make his point. From what I see in the video, it doesn't look to be that "tight" of a turn that he's demo-ing on. Could be my aged eyes. I get his point though.

About the "leaning out" of your upper body whilst turning in....hmmm, really necessary in this shown scenario? Not quite sure.
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
CaptnJim
Regular User
Regular User

Post by CaptnJim »

The PCX has combined braking - left handle activating rear and some front brake. If I were looking to make a tight turn, I sure wouldn't want any front brake.
His & Hers Honda PCX 150s
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

Yep, our scoots are combi brakers ;) Instructor in this video, Ken is teaching viewers this lesson on a combi brake PCX. Did ya see that? So Cap, have you ever applied a little rear brake, and throttle on any bike you've ridden (non-combi) in tight riding situations? If so, do you then agree with this technique?

While watching, I did in fact wonder If this technique would work on the PCX Just because of our joined brakes. I'm still not clear on this. However, 9 out of 10 times, I will squeeze the rear brake first followed by the front. So, I'm probably doing this (but without squeezing the front in tight turn(arounds). I do realize the combi kicks in). Quite a puzzlement. I should ask Ken Whitehouse ;)

On my automatic Piaggio MP3 w/standard individual braking, this technique/lesson worked like a gem, a blessing in fact. At almost 500 lbs. a little brake, a little throttle in tight quarters or turns :P Like a well kept secret - one worth knowing and applying :P Believe this...it kept me from dropping that beast!

Anyone's Thoughts using the PCX and Ken's technique? What do you do?
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus

Post by kramnala58 »

WhiteNoise wrote:Yep, our scoots are combi brakers ;) Instructor in this video, Ken is teaching viewers this lesson on a combi brake PCX. Did ya see that? So Cap, have you ever applied a little rear brake, and throttle on any bike you've ridden (non-combi) in tight riding situations? If so, do you then agree with this technique?

While watching, I did in fact wonder If this technique would work on the PCX Just because of our joined brakes. I'm still not clear on this. However, 9 out of 10 times, I will squeeze the rear brake first followed by the front. So, I'm probably doing this (but without squeezing the front in tight turn(arounds). I do realize the combi kicks in). Quite a puzzlement. I should ask Ken Whitehouse ;)

On my automatic Piaggio MP3 w/standard individual braking, this technique/lesson worked like a gem, a blessing in fact. At almost 500 lbs. a little brake, a little throttle in tight quarters or turns :P Like a well kept secret - one worth knowing and applying :P Believe this...it kept me from dropping that beast!

Anyone's Thoughts using the PCX and Ken's technique? What do you do?
When I watched the video, my thoughts were the same as Captain Jim's. If I recall correctly, I have read somewhere in these forums that it is an 80% to 20% ratio between back and front brakes with the PCX combi-brake setup. In my mind, 20% of "a little brake" is still 20% more than I am comfortable with on a turn.

If you are up to it, send Ken Whitehouse a message, I would be interested in what he has to say. But to be honest, most driving instructor's I have met have been plenty rich in book knowledge, but have woefully poor in actual driving experience, having driven less than what the average person drives, let alone driving for a living. In the past I have had to take driver training 3 times. Once for my initial license when I was a teen, and twice for jobs that I had where my employer required specific training in their vehicles. Each time the instructor had minimal "real life" experience but plenty classroom training. It would be interesting to know what Ken's experience is. A little brake on a slow turn might be excellent advice with a standard brake setup, but the PCX is not a standard brake setup.
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
skuuter
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by skuuter »

I use my Brakes very little when riding except for complete stops....the enter/middle/exit scooter lane locations and head/eyesight position points were spot-on perfect in the video..."but"...better technique dictates (1) rolling off the throttle slightly and smoothly (not completely, as this has a tendency to unload the suspension) before the corner entrance...(2) begin smoothly throttling back up after the Scooter's correct line is achieved, the suspension fully settles, and Your lean angle is reached...(3) accelerate smoothly out of the corner while letting the Scooter right it's lean angle......ALL of this is done while looking as far through the corner as possible..."also", if You need to slow the Scooter (PCX/Forza with Linked Brakes in Our case) with Brakes.......Both Levers before entering.......Front only (slightly) at mid-corner, but never locking the front wheel...the Front brake unless it locks cannot slide the Scooter out from under You, the rear can.......Exiting the corner, none, unless a road hazard appears.....my 2-cents......"NEXT"..... ;) 8)
Ridin' and Socializin' the Southeastern USA on a 2014 Honda FORZA 300 Scooter...45+ years of Riding averaging 30,000 miles per year...!!!
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2019
Color: Black

Post by Alibally »

Reading the workshop manual the combi brake only applies the rear brake if the left lever is lightly pulled. The front is also applies by pulling the lever harder. It's part of the maintenance schedule to check this and adjust it as required.
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus

Post by kramnala58 »

Alibally wrote:Reading the workshop manual the combi brake only applies the rear brake if the left lever is lightly pulled. The front is also applies by pulling the lever harder. It's part of the maintenance schedule to check this and adjust it as required.
Thanks for pointing that out. I was not away of it.
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by Alibally »

I'll try and post a scan from the book if I get a minute .
CaptnJim
Regular User
Regular User

Post by CaptnJim »

I have not tried applying rear brake to tighten a turn. I am not a big fan of linked braking (had "integrated" brakes on a Goldwing in the past), but I really don't seem to notice it much with the PCX.

I was not aware that the left lever only applies the rear when lightly pulled... I will try that out.

Jim
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

Appreciate "everyone's" input here and our little coffee/tea break together 8)

:) Thank you Ali,... perfect!!

So gn2, what cha thinking about this now? Want to give it a go?

Where's 2yous? Not getting involved? Ah, I know why. He runs the corners like a Mad hatter :lol: :lol:
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

Good Cap! Let us know how that work's for you. At least it's not a Goldwing experiment :P
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by Alibally »

Alibally wrote:I'll try and post a scan from the book if I get a minute .
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1398448331.320904.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1398448331.320904.jpg (275.4 KiB) Viewed 1665 times
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1398448341.292657.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1398448341.292657.jpg (289.73 KiB) Viewed 1665 times
CaptnJim
Regular User
Regular User

Post by CaptnJim »

OK, I tried the brake with the scoot on the centerstand... light application of the left lever slows the rear, a bit more and you get some on the front. Not noticeable when running. I took the scoot out to run an errand this afternoon and tried turning with the rear brake applied while giving it some gas... didn't notice any difference in how tight it turns. I didn't put a lot of time into it, but I'll try again when I have more time.

Jim
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

WhiteNoise wrote:So gn2, what cha thinking about this now? Want to give it a go?
Give what a go, using the rear brake on a bend with the throttle open?
Totally pointless.
Rear brake helps for balance on extremely tight turns at very low speeds.
Out on the open road (as per the video) brakes are for reducing speed when more retardation than that afforded by closing the throttle is required.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Monteme0

Post by Monteme0 »

gn2 wrote:
No need, I know your claim is BS
I have to agree with this. Never heard of SMIDSY?
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

gn2 wrote:
WhiteNoise wrote:So gn2, what cha thinking about this now? Want to give it a go?
gn2: "Rear brake helps for balance on extremely tight turns at very low speeds."

Tis the point. Check mate! Agree. ;)

This thread is looking, wanting, needing more ........
Attachments
?? TIPS ??
?? TIPS ??
image.jpg (7.58 KiB) Viewed 1616 times