Brake Fade Prevention

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

mattincm

Brake Fade Prevention

Post by mattincm »

I previously had a and now a PCX 150. The problem I had with both bikes is brake fade, especially through the mountains which can be quite "exciting" at times.

I would like to try a 260mm front disc. I think this will give better braking but not sure if it will help prevent fade/failure.

Can anyone give some advice on how to improve the brake system to prevent fade or total loss when the brakes get hot?

Any advice appreciated
beegmouse
Regular User
Regular User

Re: Brake Fade Prevention

Post by beegmouse »

With an automatic there is not much you can do in the mountains. Try and engage the engine by accelerating out of the hairpins and backing off to let the engine braking work.
skuuter
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by skuuter »

"Throttle Control", and learn to just "quick jab" the Brakes harder for a split second to check Your speed, then immediately off of them. NEVER drag Your Brakes, especially during continuous twisties and/or mountainous conditions...Ride either completely on or off the Brakes..."dragging" makes the Fade Issue.......I've ridden "The Dragon" on drum-braked Ruckus Scooters with virtually a pegged throttle and never faded the brakes by just "hard-jabbing" the Brakes as needed...."Practice, Practice, Practice"...... ;) 8)
Ridin' and Socializin' the Southeastern USA on a 2014 Honda FORZA 300 Scooter...45+ years of Riding averaging 30,000 miles per year...!!!
Hazel_06

Post by Hazel_06 »

nice post.