Takegawa Pcx 170cc

Drivetrain upgrades, engine upgrades, or any other mods to gain speed or acceleration.

Moderator: Modsquad

Pcxdemon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Takegawa Pcx 170cc

Post by Pcxdemon »

I made a new mod on the Pcx yesterday. I got something out of it that i didn't expect at all! Im still trying to find a better explanation for it but i cant....
I decided to make a shroud around the back part of the radiator cover to scoop and force air thru the radiator rather then leave the most of the work for the fan to do.I know the bottom right fairing is modelled along the radiator cover grills to get air in as you move forward but i thought i could use alot more cooling for my 170cc set up. Up until yesterday,my return rad hose was always quite hot to touch and same with the radiator,that engine ran quite hot and at its cooling capacity. I thought of just upgrading the cooling fan as Yuminashi has one that has higher airflow rating and that would be suffice but i thought that,that would come at the expense of power though,as it would add extra drag on the crank...So i envisaged making a better force fed cooling while in forward motion.This thing really scoops great amount of air and rams it thru the rad fins,so much so that my rad return hose is luke warm after the ride and i can finger touch the radiator without burning my self..
BUT! I didn't expect improved performance from this mod though! But it did...Two things are possible here; 1. engine is running cooler and more efficient with very little power loss due to less heat OR I have reduced the drag on the airfan on the crank behind the rad cos there is a lot more air coming to it and making it spin alot easier.... My mid range power is literally explosive on half throttle,time between 60kmh to 90-100kmh is blistering in scooter terms,it doesnt feel like a scooter,i mean this thing has some serious poke.First thing to my mind came when i noticed it was "geepers!!" 'where that came from?!!" I really thought i had it at its max performance but this shroud made and gave something totally unexpected...LOVE IT!
Kman2k

Post by Kman2k »

Please see the 2 links on the last page, which 160 kit should I buy ? because I don't know what was the previous model (pcx) engine number/type
Slickvic
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Slickvic »

Pcxdemon wrote:I made a new mod on the Pcx yesterday. I got something out of it that i didn't expect at all! Im still trying to find a better explanation for it but i cant....
I decided to make a shroud around the back part of the radiator cover to scoop and force air thru the radiator rather then leave the most of the work for the fan to do.I know the bottom right fairing is modelled along the radiator cover grills to get air in as you move forward but i thought i could use alot more cooling for my 170cc set up. Up until yesterday,my return rad hose was always quite hot to touch and same with the radiator,that engine ran quite hot and at its cooling capacity. I thought of just upgrading the cooling fan as Yuminashi has one that has higher airflow rating and that would be suffice but i thought that,that would come at the expense of power though,as it would add extra drag on the crank...So i envisaged making a better force fed cooling while in forward motion.This thing really scoops great amount of air and rams it thru the rad fins,so much so that my rad return hose is luke warm after the ride and i can finger touch the radiator without burning my self..
BUT! I didn't expect improved performance from this mod though! But it did...Two things are possible here; 1. engine is running cooler and more efficient with very little power loss due to less heat OR I have reduced the drag on the airfan on the crank behind the rad cos there is a lot more air coming to it and making it spin alot easier.... My mid range power is literally explosive on half throttle,time between 60kmh to 90-100kmh is blistering in scooter terms,it doesnt feel like a scooter,i mean this thing has some serious poke.First thing to my mind came when i noticed it was "geepers!!" 'where that came from?!!" I really thought i had it at its max performance but this shroud made and gave something totally unexpected...LOVE IT!

Pics!! We need Pics of this Mod! Oh please.... ;)
Previous - 1986 Honda Elite 250, 2007 Ninja 500r, 2013 Honda PCX-150
Current - 2015 Honda CBR650F :o
Mgalutia88
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013 PCX 150
Color: Red

Post by Mgalutia88 »

VLAD PICS!!!!!!!!!! and a write up how-to!
dasshreddar
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: forzaruckuspcx
Color: black

Post by dasshreddar »

8) they make those scoops for gy6s, maybe those can be modded to fit the pcx... :D
Pcxdemon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Pcxdemon »

Mgalutia88 wrote:VLAD PICS!!!!!!!!!! and a write up how-to!
Today sometime when i get a moment i will...for how-to,one will have to use its own imagination and what are available materials for construction in ones possession. :D
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Pcxdemon wrote:
Today sometime when i get a moment i will...for how-to,one will have to use its own imagination and what are available materials for construction in ones possession. :D

One might not bother.
Pcxdemon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Pcxdemon »

you you wrote:
Pcxdemon wrote:

One might not bother.
Each to its own,no need to write anything if its not your cuppa... o_O
Pcxdemon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Pcxdemon »

Slickvic wrote:

Pics!! We need Pics of this Mod! Oh please.... ;)

Mgalutia88
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Mgalutia88 »

What did you use to start from?
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Pcxdemon wrote:
Pcxdemon wrote:

One might not bother.
Each to its own,no need to write anything if its not your cuppa... o_O[/quote]

One wouln't

Needling aside, interesting to see the 1.5kg weight reduction in the battery. Arguably the most tangeable tuning mod. Did you notice any difference in the performance of the batteries?
Pcxdemon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Pcxdemon »

you you wrote:
Pcxdemon wrote:
Pcxdemon wrote:

One might not bother.
Each to its own,no need to write anything if its not your cuppa... o_O
One wouln't

Needling aside, interesting to see the 1.5kg weight reduction in the battery. Arguably the most tangeable tuning mod. Did you notice any difference in the performance of the batteries?[/quote]
No,starts exactly the same,but should last little longer than the old one,its stronger slightly...
Pcxdemon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Pcxdemon »

Mgalutia88 wrote:What did you use to start from?
Well....,i used the open face helmet visor. It was making my helmet too noisy so i was gonna get rid of it but an idea shot thru....
Slickvic
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Slickvic »

Pcxdemon wrote:
Mgalutia88 wrote:What did you use to start from?
Well....,i used the open face helmet visor. It was making my helmet too noisy so i was gonna get rid of it but an idea shot thru....

Hey thanx for the pics! That looks like a fairly easy DIY project. I have a CPU fan shroud from a retired Dell server that I might fabricate to do what you did.
Previous - 1986 Honda Elite 250, 2007 Ninja 500r, 2013 Honda PCX-150
Current - 2015 Honda CBR650F :o
Mgalutia88
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Mgalutia88 »

This will be interesting XD
Pcxdemon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Pcxdemon »

Woohoooo!!
Soon to be a 164cc yuminashi Pcx,cam and all...
Something else to play with!
:ugeek:
wingz
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013
Color: Dark Silver

Post by wingz »

How about a similar scoop arrangement to get more air into the engine?
Pcxdemon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Pcxdemon »

I was suggested removing the fan of the crank and installing the electric fan instead,no drag on the crank anymore..Could be doable.
wingz
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013
Color: Dark Silver

Post by wingz »

For combustion, I mean.
Pcxdemon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Pcxdemon »

wingz wrote:For combustion, I mean.
Kinda already done but i havent been trying to force it too much because i didnt have an afr meter so i couldnt tell if it would be too much for it. Ive got an afr meter now so i may have a play with forced intake sometime in the future..