valve adjustment

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

6ftMach1Girl
Regular User
Regular User

valve adjustment

Post by 6ftMach1Girl »

I had my PCX 150 serviced at 800 miles, was told valves were fine. Next scheduled maintenance is not for a while. Would there be any signs to look for to know if they are getting out of adjustment?
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Re: valve adjustment

Post by you you »

6ftMach1Girl wrote:I had my PCX 150 serviced at 800 miles, was told valves were fine. Next scheduled maintenance is not for a while. Would there be any signs to look for to know if they are getting out of adjustment?

Difficulty starting or stalling.
6ftMach1Girl
Regular User
Regular User

Post by 6ftMach1Girl »

What about vibrations, top speed or fuel economy?
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

6ftMach1Girl wrote:What about vibrations, top speed or fuel economy?
Yes, they would be good in equal measure :D
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

Quite a few people say the valve's were out on the 1st service (that's if many dealers actually check by removing covers and doing it properly - there were posts that Honda advised dealers 'only if necessary') - but I wonder if they go out due to bedding in or if they are just not setup properly during manufacture and testing?
6ftMach1Girl
Regular User
Regular User

Post by 6ftMach1Girl »

iceman wrote:Quite a few people say the valve's were out on the 1st service (that's if many dealers actually check by removing covers and doing it properly - there were posts that Honda advised dealers 'only if necessary') - but I wonder if they go out due to bedding in or if they are just not setup properly during manufacture and testing?
When I took it in for first service, the lady at the service desk said their mechanics can tell just by listening to how it runs, which had me a bit suspicious. Then again, I am a newbie and have no experience with these issues. Think I'll call the service department this week. Not sure if it's my imagination or not, but it does seem to be running a tad rougher since I had it in for first service.

And as I posted on another thread, yesterday I held the throttle wide open for quite a while on a straightaway and was discouraged to see it would only go to 60 mph and no higher. I cranked it all the way a couple more times and got up to low 60's. Someone mentioned a break-in period of about 2,000 miles, but looking at other posts, looks like most people were getting at least 65 mph top speeds right away.
6ftMach1Girl
Regular User
Regular User

Post by 6ftMach1Girl »

Maybe I should just watch the YouTube video and check them myself? I'm just afraid of messing it up, which is about what happens about half the time when I try to play mechanic. Sometimes I make things better, sometimes I make them worse.
dasshreddar
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: forzaruckuspcx
Color: black

Post by dasshreddar »

6ftMach1Girl wrote:Maybe I should just watch the YouTube video and check them myself? I'm just afraid of messing it up, which is about what happens about half the time when I try to play mechanic. Sometimes I make things better, sometimes I make them worse.
I checked/adjusted mine just for fun, at 500 miles both valves were off.
check this link and or get a service manual...
http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=24
6ftMach1Girl
Regular User
Regular User

Post by 6ftMach1Girl »

dasshreddar wrote:
6ftMach1Girl wrote:Maybe I should just watch the YouTube video and check them myself? I'm just afraid of messing it up, which is about what happens about half the time when I try to play mechanic. Sometimes I make things better, sometimes I make them worse.
check this link and or get a service manual...
http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=24
Thank you. I have a Givi top case on order - was going to have the dealer install it so I don't screw up the drilling. After seeing all the disassembly required, I think I'll ask them to take the scoot apart and check valves properly before they complete the top case install. It looks a little too involved for me. Better safe than sorry.
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Post by kramnala58 »

6ftMach1Girl wrote: ... And as I posted on another thread, yesterday I held the throttle wide open for quite a while on a straightaway and was discouraged to see it would only go to 60 mph and no higher. ...
Do you have an aftermarket windscreen on? I am just a ted over 6 feet and I am hard pressed to get much past 60 on my 125. I do not have a windsceen. There is quite a bit of body drag without the windscreen.
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)

Post by iceman »

dasshreddar wrote:
check this link and or get a service manual... http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=24
It seems the US allows servicing to be done by anyone and still keep the warranty, that is if it's done properly and using Honda parts? In the UK it seems Honda try and get you to have all the servicing done at main dealers, but the law changed some years ago saying servicing did not have to be undertaken by main dealers and can be done by any competent garage. I'm not sure anyone if the UK has had servicing by bike mechanics and got Honda to fix major faults after that kind of servicing, but in theory if they use Honda parts it should keep the warranty. Honda may try and get out of it, but it's the law in the UK so I'm not sure they would be able to say 'not good enough'.
6ftMach1Girl
Regular User
Regular User

Post by 6ftMach1Girl »

kramnala58 wrote:
6ftMach1Girl wrote: ... And as I posted on another thread, yesterday I held the throttle wide open for quite a while on a straightaway and was discouraged to see it would only go to 60 mph and no higher. ...
Do you have an aftermarket windscreen on? I am just a ted over 6 feet and I am hard pressed to get much past 60 on my 125. I do not have a windsceen. There is quite a bit of body drag without the windscreen.
I didn't last time when I went wide open. Just installed new windscreen today. Will have to see how that goes.
6ftMach1Girl
Regular User
Regular User

Post by 6ftMach1Girl »

Windscreen didn't seem to limit my top speed much if at all, actually kissed 65 tucked behind it.
ScooterMan
Regular User
Regular User

Post by ScooterMan »

My PCX 150 goes 79 with a fresh belt and NCY variator with OEM roller weights as only mods. 2k miles and I bought it used with 1k. A youtube poster said he did his 1st adjust at 15k miles and it was just barely out of spec. Given what a major pita removing all the bodywork is, I'm going to wait until the bike exhibits some hard starting (the sign of a tight exhaust valve) before I open it up to adjust the valves. I'm a former motorcycle mechanic as well. If it ain't broke, don't touch it! =P
2015 PCX 150 (White)[/color]
Top speed 76mph(2015) 79mph (2013)with NCY variator & Drive Face
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Interesting. My bike has 766 miles on it. I changed the oil last night as a beginning of my 600 mile service. I didnt have time to do the valves, so I dedided to wait on them until the bike shows signs of needing it done. This morning we decided to ride and the bike stalled twice before 7 was finally able to get it started. It had been running fine so that was a surprise. After I finally got it started it ran fine throughout the entire ride, aside from lagging when I tried to go up a hill or accelerate fast. However, once it started accelerating it worked fine. However, when we pulled into a gas station, and just before that, it started sounding rough. I suspect that the valves are the culprits. However, my wife's pcx has been really sounding bad lately, with all the sounds associated with a bucket of bolts in a commercial drier, so hers comes first. We just got it out of the shop where they said that it sounded fine to them....after spending $478 of the extended warranty, and not even putting it back together correctly! My bike sounds quiet when it is idling. Hers sounds like the clutch is coming apart while sitting there idling. That is normal?? I can only use that extended warranty at their dealership, so I guess either I will fix it myself or I will pay for another dealer to figure out the problem. I know of at least one that does not have idiots!.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
6ftMach1Girl
Regular User
Regular User

Post by 6ftMach1Girl »

I thought it came with a 1-year warranty from Honda? Perhaps that would cover a second opinion at another dealer?
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011

valve adjustment

Post by maddiedog »

Moved thread. :)

- Dave
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
katschamne
Regular User
Regular User

Post by katschamne »

I know that when I took mine in for the first oil change and service that they had the whole thing apart. I know because I got there earlier then they expected and it was apart. They did say that the valves did need adjustments but it was still within Honda's specs. Be careful some dealers will charge you if they can't replicate the problem in the shop. Which I think is sketchy especially if it's under warranty. I have until the middle of July to add the extended warranty. Mel you mean you can only used the warranty at a Honda dealership right, not just that one you bought at?
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I found out when I was going to need the extended warranty that it wasnt a Honda sponsored extended warranty, which I was lead to believe it was when I purchased it along with my new pcx. Whst I found out was that it was not a popular warranty package, so it was restricted to the dealer where the bike was sold. They use to have a good reputation, but now I would not recommend them to anyone. Some of the workers there are very good and very dedicated. Unfortunately, they can't do everything there, which means you will definitely run into some dishonest or lazy people at that dealersship. I took our bike over to Dave tonight and together we got things somewhat straightened out on it. Thank you Dave! It is crazy that the dealer's service was so bad that I had to go to Home Depot to buy missing bolts after I got the bike back from the dealer, and other parts were not even installed correctly. At least with Dave I knew everything would be done correctly and all of the hardware would be accounted for.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
katschamne
Regular User
Regular User

Post by katschamne »

I know they told me that I had a year from the date that I purchase the scooter to buy the extended warranty. The one that I was going to get was good at any dealer in the US but not in Canada or Mexico. I will never go back to where I bought my PCX from. I never knew that there was another Honda dealership in the are until my husband found the motorcycle that he bought. I have to say that I would recommend them to anyone in the area. I told them of the problems I had with my belt from the other dealership and when they were doing the 600 miles service they and inspected the work free of charge. They even did an a perfect job on repairing my scooter after the accident. You would never know that I dropped it.

So if I pick up that extended warranty, I will make sure I check on the specifics. Glad you are close enough to Dave to have him help you fix everything.