Pcx 125 vs Pcx 150

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Scott.924

Pcx 125 vs Pcx 150

Post by Scott.924 »

Great website! I have read a lot of the posts. I am seriously considering picking up a PCX. Currently have my eye on a 125. Other then the obvious, such as top speed, etc. My biggest concern is the center stand problem associated with the 125's. Would this signicantly influence most of you? Should I hold out for a good deal on a PCX 150?
Thanks!
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Re: Pcx 125 vs Pcx 150

Post by Mel46 »

We have a 150. A friend of ours has a 125. The pick up on the 150 is better than the 125. However, he is about to do some mods to it which should increase his power to that of our 150. He took his center stand off so that he wouldn't have that known problem. We use our center stand all the time, including fill ups, so to us it is important. Other than that, the bikes are the same. Most of the parts are interchangeable. We have the following parts on ours that were advertised for a 125: custom seat, tall Givi windscreen, Givi tailbox, new rear tire (Michelin City Grip). If top end and take off are not important, the 125 should do the job. However, if you want those in the future you will have to go to the after market sites and purchase the parts to make it faster. It all will depend on what you plan on doing with your scooter. There are good deals on both out there now.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

There are two models of 125, the original launch one and the updated eSP one.
The 150 is also eSP.
Only the original suffers from centrestand issues.
To know which is what look at the airbox. If it doesn't have eSP on it, walk away.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Post by kramnala58 »

I have a 125 and would lean toward the 150 if I had a "do over", simply for the power. I don't have the ESP and the center stand was important to me ... that is until I learned of the problem. I rarely use it now and may even take it off in case someone else decides that they want to use it and it is the proverbial straw that break the camels back ... or the PCX's block. ;)
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
andyscooter

Post by andyscooter »

depends on where you are in the world

over here in the uk we dont get the 150cc

but the americans dont get the 125cc i dont think

125cc seems to be a europe licence thing
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

andyscooter wrote:125cc seems to be a europe licence thing
So is 150cc.
in Italy (centre of the scooter universe) you need a full licence for anything over 150cc
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Scott.924

Post by Scott.924 »

If I have done my research correctly, ESP became available in 2012 on the 125. I'm looking at a 2011 model year 125. I suppose I could get accustomed to using side stand only while out riding, in the absence of center stand, I could use some sort of wheel chock or stand, etc. at home for service/ repairs and longterm storage to hold bike in up right position?
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2019
Color: Black

Post by Alibally »

The early 125's do have a centre stand. Some people have had problems with the stand lugs cracking or breaking off though. The lugs have been beefed up on the later esp. models. As long as you check them for cracking etc before buying one and the stand is free and well greased then there shouldn't be any problems. It think also that if some people sit in the scooter on the centre stand this may create excess strain on the lugs as well causing premature failure.

It's easy to remove the stand and grease it, with the return springs being the hardest part to refit.
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Here's gn2's "how to" grease yer pin (a lot of miles on that thar bike!) :D
http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1344
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

So, in short, if you can deal with the center stand problem then the choice is yours. I like the 150 because it has that extra power that is sometimes needed. Still, your choice should depend on what you will be using it for, including if you plan on doing any traveling on the freeway at all, which might require a little more power than a standard 125 can provide. But then there are mods that can be done to help in that area, if you have the ability to do the mods.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers