Digital Fuel Gage

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

cfrobw
Regular User
Regular User

Digital Fuel Gage

Post by cfrobw »

Okay is it just me who has a fuel gauge that doesn't measure right?

After 30 miles the first notch is gone.
full.jpg
full.jpg (48.27 KiB) Viewed 1360 times
Okay why when I get to 97 miles the last notch starts to blink.
empty.jpg
empty.jpg (61.67 KiB) Viewed 1360 times
If we were to use the first measurement as a guide there are 9 notches.

9 x 30 = 270

So why don't I get 270 miles to a tank?

Rob
-Rob

Currently own: 2013 PCX 150
Previously owned: 1987 Honda Elite 80, 1993 Honda Elite 80, 2008 Honda Elite 80, 2010 Honda Elite 110
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Re: Digital Fuel Gage

Post by you you »

cfrobw wrote:Okay is it just me who has a fuel gauge that doesn't measure right?

After 30 miles the first notch is gone.
full.jpg
Okay why when I get to 97 miles the last notch starts to blink.
empty.jpg
If we were to use the first measurement as a guide there are 9 notches.

9 x 30 = 270

So why don't I get 270 miles to a tank?

Rob

Have you checked your tyre pressures :D
illegal
Regular User
Regular User

Post by illegal »

Almost every fuel gauge does this. I don;t know why exactly, but most possibly it is due to shape of fuel tank (in attachment) where the gauge measures only level of fuel, not the actual amount. I read there are some more advanced gauges which use transistors/microchips to convert this and they show the actual amount of fuel in a tank.
In the attachment you can see, that tank is much wider in the upper part, it means there is more fuel, but as the level goes down, the amount of fuel is decreasing is non-linear.
I recommend you to check how much you can do on one tank (I personally can safely ride for 210-220 kilometers) and take trip meter as the main indicator for refueling :)
Attachments
fuel tank.JPG
fuel tank.JPG (63.99 KiB) Viewed 1347 times
2013 Honda PCX 125
http://www.spritmonitor.de/en/detail/569523.html
willajabir
Regular User
Regular User

Post by willajabir »

Good explanation illegal.
The shape of the gauge (right to left) matches the shape of the tank (top to bottom).
Makes sense to me!
Larry
2014 NSS300E born on 12/11/13
May the Forza be with you

my Forza pics: http://tinyurl.com/o9hqc4o
CaptnJim
Regular User
Regular User

Post by CaptnJim »

Every fuel gauge on every conveyance I've owned seems to hang in there more when full than when nearly empty. Knowing that your PCX should get around 100 mpg (+/-), you will want to start looking for a gas station at around 100 miles on the trip odometer. Most motorcycles I've owned did not have a fuel gauge - you went by the odometer, then had a reserve setting on the fuel petcock when the bike sputtered. By comparison, the PCX gauge is pretty slick.

For some perspective (former pilot), the FAA requires the fuel gauge(s) on aircraft to read accurate... when the gauge reads "empty." o_O

Your gauge is typical. You didn't really think you were going to get 200 mpg, did you? ;) :lol:
His & Hers Honda PCX 150s
cessna151
Regular User
Regular User

Post by cessna151 »

cfrobw wrote:Okay is it just me who has a fuel gauge that doesn't measure right?
Completely normal. The first notch is good for about 30-40 miles as is the last notch. The ones in between however are a different matter.

This was talked about recently here: http://hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1293
cfrobw
Regular User
Regular User

Post by cfrobw »

Ah, so if the tank was square and level the gauge would be pretty close to accurate. My Elite 110's gage was pretty accurate. it had the flat floor board and the tank was a flat box under the floorboard. I drove my PCX till it was empty and I ran out of fuel at about 129 miles.

Thanks for the recommendation of the tire pressure. I had one that was low!
-Rob

Previously owned: 1987 Honda Elite 80, 1993 Honda Elite 80, 2008 Honda Elite 80, 2010 Honda Elite 110
cfrobw
Regular User
Regular User

Post by cfrobw »

illegal wrote:Almost every fuel gauge does this. I don;t know why exactly, but most possibly it is due to shape of fuel tank (in attachment) where the gauge measures only level of fuel, not the actual amount. I read there are some more advanced gauges which use transistors/microchips to convert this and they show the actual amount of fuel in a tank.
In the attachment you can see, that tank is much wider in the upper part, it means there is more fuel, but as the level goes down, the amount of fuel is decreasing is non-linear.
I recommend you to check how much you can do on one tank (I personally can safely ride for 210-220 kilometers) and take trip meter as the main indicator for refueling :)
According to a note I found on the internet the 2014 PCX outside the US has a 2 gallon tank. Its only 4 tenths more than a gallon, but it would get you more miles between fill ups.

Rob
-Rob