Center stand FAIL

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

TC3
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Center stand FAIL

Post by TC3 »

I had a. Vespa GT125 and believe me I am much happier having fairings to replace and not a metal body that needs pricey repairs if it is to look as good as new everytime you dent it
woozy-uk
Regular User
Regular User

Post by woozy-uk »

the fairings are ridiculously expensive though for what they are
woozy-uk
Regular User
Regular User

Post by woozy-uk »

gn2 wrote:
woozy-uk wrote:the fairings are too fragile
Get a Vespa, you can just bash them back into shape if you dent them.

i am not at all against the PCX125, quite the opposite. and i wouldnt want an old fashioned looking thing like a vespa, hate that look.

I love everything about the PCX, just wish the panels werent so costly/difficult to replace. Again if it wasn't IRC tyres i had when i came off i would have been fine in the first place, the city grips i have now are a massive improvement.

and a matter of fact to is i like the PCX so much that i did a sales pitch to a couple of people what i saw looking at the PCX on the stand at the Excel motorbike show.
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

I don't think he was trying to say you're against the PCX. That was just GN2 being a sarcastic, crotchety old man. :lol:

I still haven't heard back from the dealer yet about the fairing... Hmm... I'll have to call them soon, it shouldn't take this long.
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
PCXCB1000R

Post by PCXCB1000R »

Plastics for some other scooters are REAAALLLY expensive. I just sold my T-Max and replaced a panel that was scratched. Made the PCX plastics look very inexpensive.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

T-Max prices are astronomical.
In the UK you can buy a Ford Ka for less than a T-Max.
http://www.ford.co.uk/Cars/Ka
And it even has better fuel economy.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Firepriest

Post by Firepriest »

Hi guys. Can I just add that I use my centre stand all the time as well, as one of the technicians at my Honda dealer said the side stand if used for a good length of time, somehow drains the battery. Not sure how, but has anyone else heard this?
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord

Post by maddiedog »

I've never heard that.

When the kickstand is down, it engages the killswitch, which might be why he thinks that's the case. I'm somewhat doubtful that will drain your battery.

When my PCX was getting the centerstand fixed, it sat on the kickstand for over a week and started up fine. Your dealer may be mistaken.
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
TC3
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TC3 »

That does sound odd to me as I can not see how that would be possible and no one would make a bike with such a daft feature
rainburg
Regular User
Regular User

Post by rainburg »

We park our PCX in the garage on the side stand, and it often went a few weeks (2-3) between rides due to winter weather. We never had an issue with a weak battery, so I suspect the dealer is mistaken in this case. Once or twice we put it on the trickle charger just to be safe, and it would very quickly return to full charge.
2011 Honda PCX, 2007 Suzuki Burgman 400
2 Honda Civics, 5 bicycles and 1 more on order
ese12105
Regular User
Regular User

Post by ese12105 »

If you left your key in the ignition and turned all the way to the right and put your kickstand down then yeah, the scooter would still be on and drain the battery. Or if you have the engine running and put the kickstand down the headlight stays on. That would drain the battery. But as long as you turn your scooter off, there should be no problem with the battery.
Taz
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Taz »

Either the electrons run down the side stand to drain out to the road from the battery...or your dealer is full of shiite! I suspect the latter!
jcpeden
Regular User
Regular User

Post by jcpeden »

I purchased my PCX with the centre stand broken. Engine mounts have broken in the same way but on the other side.

Any chance Honda will repair it out of warranty? :cry:
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

No chance.
Honda might supply parts but will not pay for labour.
An original 2010-2011 PCX is worth very little money so probably not worth repairing.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Taz wrote:Either the electrons run down the side stand to drain out to the road from the battery...or your dealer is full of shiite! I suspect the latter!
The battery has a charge overflow port, usually this is on the right side so that when the scooter leans over the outlet is above the level of the charge.
On the PCX the battery was fitted the wrong way round so the overflow is below the charge level when leaned over on the sidestand and this is what lets the charge drain out.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Come on now! These are sealed batteries. You could turn it upside down (though I would not suggest it) and it should be fine. The theory of electricity is simple enough, so a side stand should have nothing to do with draining a battery. What WILL drain a battery is leaving the key in the bike and not turning it to the OFF position, which is easy enough not to do. I have had occasions where I thought I had turned off the key while we were at a rest stop, but when I looked at the tail light, which is a sequential light like Knight Rider had, it was on. The headlights don't turn on until the engine is running, so you can't tell from the front. You may not even be able to tell from the back unless you add lights like I did. ALL batteries discharge some just sitting there with nothing connected to them, but a good battery will draw very little and could go for quite a long time without completely discharging. However, if there is anything at all that is pulling current, even if you don't know that it does, it will eventually drain the battery.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Robbie
Regular User
Regular User
Color: Grey

Post by Robbie »

jcpeden wrote:I purchased my PCX with the centre stand broken. Engine mounts have broken in the same way but on the other side.

Any chance Honda will repair it out of warranty? :cry:
I bought mine with the same problem before I knew about the design fault. I think the majority of early PCX's will have this issue even if the owners aren't aware (as they never check).

Had mine welded and strengthened, but it does mean taking the engine out.

Thread with pictures here: http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=5625
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)

Post by iceman »

Is the headlights off until engine running a feature of the older PCX's? I'm sure the LED one has the lights on when the key is in the on position with engine off (damn, need to check tomorrow as I may be convincing myself of this) :)