PCX Phone mount help

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Teamtd11
Regular User
Regular User

PCX Phone mount help

Post by Teamtd11 »

I just got my hands on a cheep android phone which I would like to mount to the bike. So I can use it for satnav, GPS speedo and for commute recording.
Has anyone had any experience of mounting a phone to the PCX? The problem is I want it mounted so I can use the camera on it as well. So putting it in one of those waterproof sat nav handle bar things wont do.
Another thing is the phone is huge. 4.3" screen.

Can anyone recommend a mount or have any ideas of a great way to do it?
Taz
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: PCX Phone mount help

Post by Taz »

Could you use the handlebar mount but cut out a small hole for camera lense? A bicycle mount should work on the PCX. I got a cheap one off eBay.
Teamtd11
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Teamtd11 »

I guess i will try one of the universal handlebar mounts off ebay and see how it goes
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

If you need to waterproof it, stick a johnny over it.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
edscoot
Regular User
Regular User

Post by edscoot »

There's a couple of diy solutions on http://www.instructables.com/tag/type-i ... torcycles/ that might work for you.
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

It won't help you, but I just got a Lifeproof case for my iPhone. I ordered the bar mount for it, it works great -- much better than the ghetto-rigged mount I had used for my old Droid.

Is your Droid in a case or just by itself? If you have no case, order the GPS mount, remove the attaching bolt, and hook it to a handlebar clamp (like the ones they use on bicycles for bells or lights)
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
Teamtd11
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Teamtd11 »

Well my cheep mount jobby off eBay arrived. And after a trip out and home again it fell apart :/ So i think I will give up on the using the camera idea. And just get something to keep it snug and dry so i can use it as a sat nav.

I would post the videos i recorded but when i upload them the audio is badly out of sync and only a small amount of the video plays. Would of thought Youtube been Google owned would happily take the video recorded from a Google android phone *confused*
Woolley
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Woolley »

do what i do, dont bother with a mount and just keep phone in your pocket while listening to the instructions on a set of £3 helmet speakers.
ImageImage ImageImage Image
Taz
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Taz »

My iPhone would go flat with bluetooth and gps going unless I get my 12V socket installed. Regarding sound out of sync do you have a fast (class6?) SD card? My camera did crap video till I bought a more expensive memory card.
woozy-uk
Regular User
Regular User

Post by woozy-uk »

Woolley wrote:do what i do, dont bother with a mount and just keep phone in your pocket while listening to the instructions on a set of £3 helmet speakers.

this is what i do. but sometimes the voice guidance is slightly delayed.
Woolley
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

PCX Phone mount help

Post by Woolley »

Hmm. Guess the gps chip must be stronger on the iPhone then.
ImageImage ImageImage Image