7500 service advice

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Scottish
Regular User
Regular User

7500 service advice

Post by Scottish »

Hi,

I'm booked in for the 7500 mile service on Tues but not sure if I need to get the valves checked, Is it really necessary ? the guy on the phone said it was due to be checked but would add another £120 to the service (so probably £240 all in), I dont have much mechanical knowledge myself or a garage in which to do any tinkering.

So should I get it done or could I get away with just a regular service ?

any advice appreciated.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Re: 7500 service advice

Post by gn2 »

How long does the warranty have left to run?
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
ScooterMan
Regular User
Regular User

Post by ScooterMan »

THere's a youtube vid of a guy doing a valve check/adjust and he says it wasn't even checked until 15k miles and that only one of the two valves was slightly out of specification.

Let's be real here. If you bought a PCX and did 6 valve clearance inspections at $200 a pice U.S. $$$, you may be better off just forgoing the valve checks altogether and selling the scoot at 15k miles and using the money saved to cover the difference between the value of your used PCX and just buy a new one!
2015 PCX 150 (White)[/color]
Top speed 76mph(2015) 79mph (2013)with NCY variator & Drive Face
scisor34
Regular User
Regular User

Post by scisor34 »

I have 17,000 miles on my 2013 PCX150 and have done nothing but oil changes, spark plug once, rollers once, and tires, still runs and sounds like new. IMO people worry too much. It's a small Honda engine that is practically bulletproof.
ScooterMan
Regular User
Regular User

Post by ScooterMan »

scisor34 wrote:I have 17,000 miles on my 2013 PCX150 and have done nothing but oil changes, spark plug once, rollers once, and tires, still runs and sounds like new. IMO people worry too much. It's a small Honda engine that is practically bulletproof.
Have you even done the belt yet? If not, how much top speed have you lost?

And again, this is reassuring. Thx for the feedback. :)
2015 PCX 150 (White)[/color]
Top speed 76mph(2015) 79mph (2013)with NCY variator & Drive Face
scisor34
Regular User
Regular User

Post by scisor34 »

Oops, I forgot the belt, I changed the belt, rollers, and spark plug at 15,000 miles. The belt was still in really good condition so I kept it for an emergency spare. Top speed had fallen from 69 to 62-63. My last fuel-up returned 103 mpg. Change the oil every 4-5 thousand miles and just ride it.
Scottish
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Scottish »

Thanks for the replies people, my mind is pretty much at rest to go with a normal service :)

@Gn2 The warranty is finished, would that affect any service choices ?
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Yes.
If there's no warranty there's no point wasting money on dealer services.
Everything which needs to be done at 7500 miles you can do yourself.
i.e. leave it completelty alone and just ride it till 10,000 miles then change the oil.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Scottish
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Scottish »

Thats my last ever service, £186.91p with no valve check...The back brake was squeaking and kind of jerky which added £60 to the bill.

Never again, the Oil will be changed at 10,000 and thats it!
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

You can change your own oil in 30 minutes or less. Just find a container for the used oil and ask a service station if they will accept your used oil for recycling. If you don't pull the oil filter and clean it, changing the oil should take 15 minutes.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Scottish wrote:Thats my last ever service, £186.91p with no valve check...The back brake was squeaking and kind of jerky which added £60 to the bill.

Never again, the Oil will be changed at 10,000 and thats it!

Oof. That would p155 me off
Cracksta
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Cracksta »

My service costs about £110, I was told the they don't normally check the valves till about 10k, bike runs and sounds fine so I would leave it unless there are issues.

I'm only going to the stealers to keep warranty intact and I've become a bit lazy doing it myself. Once warranty is out, its DIY time which shouldn't be hard at all.
Scottish
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Scottish »

Right here's a little update on Glasgow's No1 Honda dealership 'Victor Devine Glasgow.

The 7500 service was almost £200 which included extra to fix a squeeky back brake, AND charging me £4 odds for flippin cracked NUT!
'whatever' I think, pay them and vow never to return.

I get on my bike after christmas and after about 10mins the back brake is squeeking again, so I phone them up to tell them about it and they say to take it in, I cant take it in the next day (last Friday) as I have to go to Bathgate that day (about 35 miles out of Glasgow) So he says to take it in Tues as they're shut Mondays.

I take it in today and before they start on it I check I'm not going to incur and any extra charges (wouldnt put it past them) No no he says....so I walk home as they have no flipppin courtesy bike and a couple hours later I get the call, only he tells me about how the mileage has increased by 80 miles or something which is contrary to what I told him about only being on it for 10mins extra...suffice to say I was pretty incensed and after venting my spleen, he backed down and said just to collect the bike.

Apart from this proving what I already thought i.e. that this Honda dealership are complete money grabbing wankers...It shouldnt have been squeeking again after 80 miles anyway but they'd happily charge you for it because they didnt fix it properly in the first place.

Twats!
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

Assuming you service the bike yourself and not worry about warranty, I'm wondering what's the worst that can go wrong that would get anywhere near the cost of 2 yr services - which for what I was quoted was £900+ for any 110-125 Honda scooter.

I'm thinking worth having the 1st and 2nd service, perhaps the 3rd, but after that . . .
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Scottish wrote:Right here's a little update on Glasgow's No1 Honda dealership 'Victor Devine Glasgow.

The 7500 service was almost £200 which included extra to fix a squeeky back brake, AND charging me £4 odds for flippin cracked NUT!
'whatever' I think, pay them and vow never to return.

I get on my bike after christmas and after about 10mins the back brake is squeeking again, so I phone them up to tell them about it and they say to take it in, I cant take it in the next day (last Friday) as I have to go to Bathgate that day (about 35 miles out of Glasgow) So he says to take it in Tues as they're shut Mondays.

I take it in today and before they start on it I check I'm not going to incur and any extra charges (wouldnt put it past them) No no he says....so I walk home as they have no flipppin courtesy bike and a couple hours later I get the call, only he tells me about how the mileage has increased by 80 miles or something which is contrary to what I told him about only being on it for 10mins extra...suffice to say I was pretty incensed and after venting my spleen, he backed down and said just to collect the bike.

Apart from this proving what I already thought i.e. that this Honda dealership are complete money grabbing wankers...It shouldnt have been squeeking again after 80 miles anyway but they'd happily charge you for it because they didnt fix it properly in the first place.

Twats!
We're you offered a coffee?
Scottish
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Scottish »

No offering coffee would eat into their profits.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

As would doing work for free.
Scottish
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Scottish »

Yes always a good idea to do it properly in the first place so you dont waste anybodies fucking time....god forbid the paying customer's.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

iceman wrote:Assuming you service the bike yourself and not worry about warranty, I'm wondering what's the worst that can go wrong that would get anywhere near the cost of 2 yr services - which for what I was quoted was £900+ for any 110-125 Honda scooter.

I'm thinking worth having the 1st and 2nd service, perhaps the 3rd, but after that . . .

Eggsflippnsactly

Mines never been to a dealer.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Scottish wrote:Yes always a good idea to do it properly in the first place so you dont waste anybodies fucking time....god forbid the paying customer's.

What could you have done differently?