God rid of the short Givi and...

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Cascanciu
Regular User
Regular User

God rid of the short Givi and...

Post by Cascanciu »

... And quite frankly, I think I'm not ordering any other windscreen. After summer, when I got the Givi back on the PCX (I had removed it for summertime) the wind buffeting became a pain. A real one. One day I got it off just to try. Day after it was for sale and I sold it yesterday. The PCX sees 90% of her use at the city and the windscreen is not that much necessary with my Dainese winter jacket.

I don't feel like making more experimentation. If I knew for sure that this or that particular windscreen makes no wind buffeting I'd probably get it, but it looks like all but the big Givi (and I won't be fitting that one, no way :lol: , don't want my PCX to look like a sailboat) make it, so time to man up and ride with no windscreen :lol: :lol:
Mgalutia88
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013 PCX 150
Color: Red

Re: God rid of the short Givi and...

Post by Mgalutia88 »

Glad it works for you. Over half of my riding is done at 70+ mph so I thnk I'll keep mine. :) at speeds below 45 mph there really isn't much need for a screen.
hatari
Regular User
Regular User

Post by hatari »

God works in mysterious ways....

if wind buffing a problem, you thought of getting a car ?

PCX - standard screen for me....
Cracksta
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Cracksta »

I had the short Givi screen, it does fell better however I too had the wind buffeting effect.

I sold it a week later. Works for some I guess but any bigger screen would look too much for the little PCX.

I ride mainly in the city 3-40mph and 1 short burst to 50mph on a short road going home lol
Mgalutia88
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013 PCX 150
Color: Red

Post by Mgalutia88 »

I too get the buffeting, however, I ride 70+ mph 25-35 miles at times so I would much rather have a little buffeting as compared to my biondi screen that costs me speed and economy. The truth of the matter is neither of the givi screens nor my biondi screen are rated for anything over 60mph. They actually state DO NOT exceed 60; I'm guessing for warranty reasons lol.
Cascanciu
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Cascanciu »

hatari wrote:God works in mysterious ways....

if wind buffing a problem, you thought of getting a car ?

PCX - standard screen
for me....
Sure He works in mysterious ways. I'm still wondering what part of my post is difficult to understand, or, more likely, if it has to do with your reading comprehension. You can either try a short Givi and then give a useful opinion, or avoid making pointless comments.

This screen works for anyone who is not higher than 170 cm. If you're any taller, you'll get wind buffeting.

By the way, I currently own two cars. No need nor room for more in my garage.
GeezyRider
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by GeezyRider »

I'm on the fence about the short Givi. Like Cascanciu, I don't care for the wind buffeting about my head. However, it does keep my helmet face shield clear of bugs and debris.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

We had the short Givi windscreen on and my wife, who is only 5 feet tall, asked me to modify it. I added a piece to it which helped keep the wind off of her face but didn't block wind from her hands. She rode throughout the summer with it but by fall we had decided on the tall one. We got the tall one recently and installed it but it is too cold out to ride now. Guess we will have to wait until Spring to try it. As for the original Honda windscreen, that is a joke. Why put it on at all? Honda should have shipped it without one and offered to install whatever the buyer wanted, giving that person a choice.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Cascanciu
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Cascanciu »

Then it's actually worse than I thought it was, Mel. I'm 5 ft 9" (in your units) and thought someone shorter than me would find it useful. I could see some benefit on these windscreen as it does keep the worst of the wind off your chest, but the noise it creates at helmet height is unbearable to me. I use a modular helmet, which is noisy enough. I didn't need more noise.

Something else is crosswind. On the way to work there is an area which is frequently blown by crosswinds. With this windscreen on, the PCX felt shaky and unstable, sometimes to the point of getting a kind of frightening when there was a lorry passing by me on one lane, and another vehicle on the other one next to me to the other hand side. So I decided enough was enough. I, seriously, do not recommend this thing.

Problem is, the original Honda screen is pricey. The dealer says it is wind buffeting free, but I can, seriously, think in better ways to spend 180€. The tall Ermax, TCP, short Ermax... honestly, I won't be buying any unless I can test them before to make sure the same phenomena will take place again, and no one will let you do that, which is stupid. You do try on a pair of shoes before you buy them, don't you? :D .
redwind
Communocrat
Communocrat

Post by redwind »

I wouldn't say that a taller screen is only for those who ride at relatively higher speeds. I ride at about 40mph, and there is certainly a difference with and without. It's all about maximising ease and comfort. As for 'manning up' (silly term that), I associate that with increasing ones intelligence, etc, so that one needn't avail oneself of such terms ;), and not braving the elements for the sake of it. 'Man' needs a redefinition distinct from times reminiscent of Club-bearing grunters.

I'm dumping my short Givi for the taller one - my 322st fiting vid in the 'accessories' section. The wind noise, even at speeds of 20mph is ridiculous though a tilt-down of the helmet reduces it significantly (I'm 1.69m. Use a Shoei Qwest Bloodflow Helmet). And I certainly don't appreciate the cold air blast slamming my neck and shooting up my helmet either - during the long winters in the UK. The buffeting, however, isnt much of a problem at my speed.

Yes, I do think the tall givi makes the scoot look like one of those rock and rollers in Harajuku, Japan, with a really tall comb-back, but i think I should 'man-up' and get practical about it.

It should be with the retailer now in the UK as I ordered it in late november 2013. Will fit it up once I return to the UK from Singapore in a week's time....traffic conditions here is maniacal compared to the UK.
A 'real' bike is one with which you have to jump through hoops to get it to do what a scoot does with a twist
dasshreddar
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: forzaruckuspcx
Color: black

Post by dasshreddar »

:ugeek: Yes, be a real man and don't use a windscreen... grunt, grunt :lol:
Attachments
2014.jpg
2014.jpg (625.47 KiB) Viewed 1558 times
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

My wife calls the Ruccus and Big Ruccus ugly and uglier. I can't imagine someone chopping up a PCX, which is a piece of art, and appendix g it to a Ruccus to make a Frankiruccus.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Mel46 wrote:My wife calls the Ruccus and Big Ruccus ugly and uglier. I can't imagine someone chopping up a PCX, which is a piece of art, and appendix g it to a Ruccus to make a Frankiruccus.

It's kind of growing on me
hatari
Regular User
Regular User

Post by hatari »

dasshreddar wrote::ugeek: Yes, be a real man and don't use a windscreen... grunt, grunt :lol:
replacing a pcx with one of those would be like ripping out the gas central heating in your home and replacing it with a coal fire....
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Has gn2 got multiple log ins?
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

I like that photo Dass! ;) Are those mussel shells on the ground? Off the beaten track again! :D
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You