Re: Yuminashi variator and belt

The tragic place where threads go to die...

Moderator: Modsquad

hatari
Regular User
Regular User

Post by hatari »

as someone who's had 3 PCX's (2 125's and a 150, one of the 125's was fitted with a J Coster variator)....

i would like to say...

understand that this is a small capacity single cylinder auto scooter.......a new variator, will give you a little improvement in acceleration / top speed - but its not going to be like swapping to a 250cc...

Even if you changed the variator, and put on a "performance" (FFS) exhaust / filter, i'd say the cost and the faffing around factor are hardly worth it....

Just enjoy your pcx for what it is...a cheap and cheerful little scooter.....
chainsaw
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013 150esp
Color: white/carbon

Post by chainsaw »

hatari wrote:as someone who's had 3 PCX's (2 125's and a 150, one of the 125's was fitted with a J Coster variator)....

i would like to say...

understand that this is a small capacity single cylinder auto scooter.......a new variator, will give you a little improvement in acceleration / top speed - but its not going to be like swapping to a 250cc...

Even if you changed the variator, and put on a "performance" (FFS) exhaust / filter, i'd say the cost and the faffing around factor are hardly worth it....

the above reply has been placed on at least four different threads, this borders on spamming! some of these threads are performance based and include suggestions, ideas and proven methods to improve the performance of the pcx. I have a modified pcx and understand that it is not to everyones taste, but I really couldnt give a shit as I built it for my own amusement. There are people out there like Reggy Bodden (yuminashi) pushing the limits of small capacity scoots and I find that considerably more interesting than a 200hp sportsbike or fuel economy figures. Everytime i take my scoot out, I can ride it to the limit of its capabilities and mine and would like to know what I can do to improve it and myself. I look at improvements as a percentage, if I can find only a couple of horsepower then thats about a 20% increase and I am more than happy with that. If you are satisfied with vanilla icecream and see no need for adding sprinkles or choc chips etc,thats fine, but I for one am a fan of sprinkles and want to be aware of all that is available to me. please dont go on to a performance/modification thread telling people not to modify their scooter
hatari
Regular User
Regular User

Post by hatari »

chainsaw wrote:
hatari wrote:as someone who's had 3 PCX's (2 125's and a 150, one of the 125's was fitted with a J Coster variator)....

i would like to say...

but I really couldnt give a shit as I built it for my own amusement.

please dont go on to a performance/modification thread telling people not to modify their scooter

who put you in charge all of a sudden ??

i'm a member same as you and have prob owned (3 so far) / riden more pcx's than you, standard and modified....

my point - if i'm allowed...is that in terms of bangs for your buck, its hardly worth it...

yes my j coster variator (fitted to my 2nd 125) did give a bit better acceleration and a bit more top speed, but at 120 UK pounds plus fitting, i'll not be rushing to do it again...and pushing the pcx above the factory rev limited top speed, felt dangerous to me....

similarly i've riden numerous pcx's with performance air filter / sports exhaust and i couldn't honestly tell any difference - and people you pass think you're a knob cus of the noise your scoot is making....

so, imho - if you've got some cash to spend on your pcx...i'd go YSS Shocks.....adjustable levers.....strut brace.....rear carrier/top box and leave the "performance mods" alone.......

my opinion....and i'm usually right....
chainsaw
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013 150esp
Color: white/carbon

Post by chainsaw »

who put you in charge all of a sudden ??
i'm a member same as you and have prob owned (3 so far) / riden more pcx's than you, standard and modified....
my point - if i'm allowed...is that in terms of bangs for your buck, its hardly worth it...
yes my j coster variator (fitted to my 2nd 125) did give a bit better acceleration and a bit more top speed, but at 120 UK pounds plus fitting, i'll not be rushing to do it again...and pushing the pcx above the factory rev limited top speed, felt dangerous to me....
similarly i've riden numerous pcx's with performance air filter / sports exhaust and i couldn't honestly tell any difference - and people you pass think you're a knob cus of the noise your scoot is making....
so, imho - if you've got some cash to spend on your pcx...i'd go YSS Shocks.....adjustable levers.....strut brace.....rear carrier/top box and leave the "performance mods" alone.......
my opinion....and i'm usually right....[/quote]

You are more than welcome to express your opinion, this is a forum after all. But to copy and paste an anti modification opinion and place it into several active modification threads at once was always going to put some noses out of joint. Most of the modifications I have done to my scoot have been after exhaustive research online through forums, gathering information from people who have done what I plan to do.
Reading through Pcxdemons threads on this forum and others has saved me time and money as far as I'm concerned, and if you go back and read through them yourself, you will see where other people have chimed in with the "dont bother' opinion and derailed the thread. Yuminashi are engineering some amazing parts for the Pcx and I plan on buying some when I go to Thailand in April, but I wouldnt buy them if I wasnt able to research them. In the next 12 months I plan on building a stroker motor for my scoot using Yuminashi parts and information gleaned mainly from this forum.
I think that the Pcx is an inspired concept for a scooter and just needs some "tweaking" in places to bring it up to what I want. I wholeheartedly agree with you on some points eg YSS shocks but respectfully dont on others... If i was building a 944 for myself I wouldnt dream of putting a CD player in it for weightsaving reasons :D