Tire Comparison?

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Shar Tahl

Tire Comparison?

Post by Shar Tahl »

I see a few tires recommended for best wear. Michelin City Grip and Pirelli Diablo are two I have seen mentioned a lot. What would be the best buy for a fair amount of distance travel.? I currently put about 200 miles a week on my scooter.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Re: Tire Comparison?

Post by gn2 »

I doubt there will be many people who have tried a variety.
I know from experience that the CityGrip rear is a safe bet.
The original front was still on mine when I sold it at 18000 miles.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
henrydjunaedi

Post by henrydjunaedi »

I had to change my rear tire because it wore out. I came into the shop, they only have pirelli diablo scooter 120/70 available, originaly for front tire. The mechanic suggests it's ok to put it on rear, but the rotation must be inverted. So now, they're installing a front tire on my rear, backward rotation.

I wonder if it's safe. The mechanic seems pretty convincing, and he said he already done that in two other PCX.

What's your opinion?
henrydjunaedi

Post by henrydjunaedi »

so far, it feels very good, i have great confidence riding my pcx to the corner.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

henrydjunaedi wrote:What's your opinion?
The mechanic was either lying or an idiot.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
dasshreddar
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: forzaruckuspcx
Color: black

Post by dasshreddar »

henrydjunaedi wrote:I had to change my rear tire because it wore out. I came into the shop, they only have pirelli diablo scooter 120/70 available, originaly for front tire. The mechanic suggests it's ok to put it on rear, but the rotation must be inverted. So now, they're installing a front tire on my rear, backward rotation.

I wonder if it's safe. The mechanic seems pretty convincing, and he said he already done that in two other PCX.

What's your opinion?
I probably would have kept the rotation the same, but as long as you don't get weird wear patterns you should be fine.
OriginalRocket
Regular User
Regular User

Post by OriginalRocket »

Flipping the rotation is bad for a motorcycle tire, They are layered in a specific way due to the rotational forces. Motorcycle.com has an article about this. It could make a tire come apart!

As these are scooter tires, they are pretty simple in design. So I don't think they will fall apart. But reversing the direction of rotation seems very pointless to me as you are now losing any water drainage function from the tire.

BUT>>>... the mechanic might be aware of the tire layering, as the front is designed to take the braking force, and the rear to take the engine acceleration forces. So by switching the rotation, the force applied to the tire would be in the direction the tire was designed for.

Either way. These tires are super cheap, just replace with new.
henrydjunaedi

Post by henrydjunaedi »

thanks, i will buy a new one for the rear. and switch it to the front where it's originally intended.

this tire already improved my whole performance, acceleration, cornering, fuel economy. so, maybe next month. so yes, this pirelli is good and worth the buy. but they actually not very cheap for me. it's the most expensive scooter tire, and almost the same price as one tire for a car.
redwind
Communocrat
Communocrat

Post by redwind »

I use the Dunlop Scootsmart. Much more stability and grip that the stock IRC tires.
A 'real' bike is one with which you have to jump through hoops to get it to do what a scoot does with a twist
FritzPinguin
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013 PCX150
Color: Red

Post by FritzPinguin »

Bike history: Germany: Staiger 50cc 2-stroke, BMW 250 (from 1952, my age), Honda Dax ST70, Honda CB 125 (Twin), Honda CB 750, Kawa Z400j
Thailand: Kawa Zephyr 400, Honda Wave 110 S, Kawa ZX130, PCX 150 (as far as I can remember)