replacement keys?

Riding jackets, pants, boots, GPS, toolkits, etc.

Moderator: Modsquad

skbal0907

Re: replacement keys?

Post by skbal0907 »

Hi, I'm a new PCX 150 owner - 300 miles in 2 weeks.

I bought my bike used and it came with only one key. To get the spares with the hexagon on top was going to cost $27 to get 2 blanks & "shutter replacement." The dealership couldn't tell me if I was going to have to replace the lock or not.

I found a lock smith who had Honda blanks that will start the bike without the hexagon - $3.24 per key. It looks a little different, has an extra grove up the center, but it works. ilco key HD109.
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

^ Cool info, that'll definitely save some money. I'm missing my spare, so I'll stop by the locksmith and ask them about that.
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
JLP
Color: None more black

Post by JLP »

Hey, thanks for posting this. I got two of those keys, and they work great. Nice inexpensive piece of mind. Joe
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

skbal0907 wrote:Hi, I'm a new PCX 150 owner - 300 miles in 2 weeks.
I bought my bike used and it came with only one key. To get the spares with the hexagon on top was going to cost $27 to get 2 blanks & "shutter replacement." The dealership couldn't tell me if I was going to have to replace the lock or not.
I found a lock smith who had Honda blanks that will start the bike without the hexagon - $3.24 per key. It looks a little different, has an extra grove up the center, but it works. ilco key HD109.
If the lock did need replacing, then they are not really spares but a complete lock/key replacement! Good to know about the cheap alternatives - worth having some as spares at work (in locker) and home. Can you say what needs doing with these cheap spares to work with the bike? Is it just mechanical cutting or programming to match some kind of electronic security?
hellboy7

Post by hellboy7 »

EddieC wrote:There are laws that are specific to the USA that heavily protects the consumer on waranty claims. This is generally why warranties are shorter in the US for the same products offered internationally. True, if you were in the UK they can void your warranty and insurance claims for the most bizarre reasons.

However, Don't worry about doing your own service yourself in the USA. This WILL NOT void your waranty. The only way that honda can get out of a waranty claim in the USA is if they can PROOVE that is was your direct action that caused a service item failure. I've known many people who do their own maintenance with their brand new bikes from day one and rarely ever hear of hickups with honda trying to get out of it. Usually, honda asks a whole bunch of questions and takes a lot of pictures, and have never asked my dad, or any of his or my friends to proove that the service was done correctly by a certified mechanic. If YOU were the one to mess it up, they would probably be able to tell.

If you need re-assurance that doing your own maintenance (in the USA) will not void your warranty, look up United States consumer law. Also, CA has EVEN MORE laws to protect the consumer that surpass federal standards.

So ya, if you feel like paying the dealer, by all means do! We are lucky to have some of the nations best technitions in our area with over 300 sunny days a year and high riding population. But if your in the USA, you're not going to void your warranty by doing your own servicing, so don't let that be a deterrant if you would like to learn how to do it yourself. The first few services are EASY and CHEAP do do oneself. Removing the plastics is the hardest part. I've done it 4 times so far so if. you want me to drop by I can show you how to easily remove the plastics and how to do your first four services.
I actually think the warranty worse internationally. Theres even more reasons that honda will deny it to people.
Raymondtaylor
Year: 2015
Color: black

Post by Raymondtaylor »

You can get the Key Blank for $9 .. then just have a Locksmith cut the key to match your other one. Most Locksmiths can do laser cut keys nowadays.
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2014
Color: Silver

Post by davenowherejones »

I never lock the hex slider as the keys are not very strong at the hex. The hex has a magnetic code on the Forza. 3 little magnets which need north south alignment plus a blank spot magnet spot on mine. So 3x3x3x3=81 possible codes. I put the new magnets on the old key and then just transferred them over in order. Keys were available at eBay China.

I got a blank key at a locksmith without the hex. It needed the shoulder modified to fit fully into the lock. The key was a little short so the mod was needed. I should get a few more.
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Thanks to all for kicking in! ;) Cool.
I wonder how many keys are misplaced, lost or buried in ones lifetime? I wonder.
And, how many of them are found? Perhaps with a metal detector? (Enter, homie) :P
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
FrogmanDave
Year: 2020
Color: Candy Red

Post by FrogmanDave »

Reviving an old thread here but wanted to say thanks to skbal0907 for providing the key blank information. Having the factory key in my pocket with the safety hex on it just bugged me to no end. I tend to play with my keys in my pocket. I'm not sure why but I do. So, I went to a local locksmith and they cut the Ilco HD109 for me and it works perfect. Anyone wondering if there is anything different about the 2019-2020 ignition key, the answer is no. The Ilco HD109 will work for you.
2020 PCX 150 Candy Luster Red