what is the best way to shade your eyes?

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

JLP
Color: None more black

Re: what is the best way to shade your eyes?

Post by JLP »

Yeah, I have a dark drop down visor in my helmet, but it is not dark enough for going into low sun. A strip of electrical tape on the visor made a world of difference.
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013 PCX150

Post by sendler2112 »

Brian wrote:built in dark visor that flips down inside your helmet?
A helmet with a flip down sun visor is great to have. You can adjust it while you are riding. The sun visor on my Schuberth is nice because it is more straight across the bottom (minimal nose cut out) and can be deployed part way to just shade the top if you want. The shade in my LS2 has to be either up or down and has a cut out for the nose which makes for a distracting parallax bright spot for each eye but it is still better than nothing. Using an interchangeable dark tinted face shield can leave you stuck out at night with no clear shield. The Schuberth is way over priced but if you commute many days in cold or rainy weather, and work from sunrise to sunset, it is worth the extra money.
Honda4me

Post by Honda4me »

pozo wrote:Two words: ELECTRICAL TAPE.

I put a strip of electrical tape across the top of my visor. When I'm riding into a low sun, I tilt my head down slightly so the strip covers the sun, but I'm still able to see the road. Some manufacturers sells similar dark strips (basically a tinted band) but I have found that electrical tape works just as well. It's an easy, cheap solution.

What he said ;) As used by racers, cops and riders the world over.

and whatever colour your visor / glasses, make sure you keep them clean with soapy water and scratch-free. Expect all drivers to try and kill you at every occasion. Because at some stage, at least one of them will have a go.
Brian

Post by Brian »

Thanks for the replies guys. I have used electrical tape across my visor an it works well to reduce glair.
What is the color of wind?
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Potoroo wrote:Incidentally, does anyone know if it is illegal in the UK to ride with your helmet front raised up.
Do you mean a flip lid?
I suppose it would depend on whether it has passed the safety standards and been certified for use with it raised.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
DAB
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: Red

Post by DAB »

Potoroo wrote: Incidentally, does anyone know if it is illegal in the UK to ride with your helmet front raised up.
Not 100% sure but I think it's not legal.
Other rides
Yamaha MT-01, Yamaha BT1100, Yamaha WR250R, Ducati 900 GTS, Honda VFR 750FV, Honda Forza 350
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

DAB wrote:
Potoroo wrote: Incidentally, does anyone know if it is illegal in the UK to ride with your helmet front raised up.
Not 100% sure but I think it's not legal.
It's not legal in the US either unless you have other eye protection on. It's quite silly.
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

I'm 100% certain it is legal because police motorcyclists do it all the time.
Still reckon its to do with whether the helmet has been tested and certified for use in the open position.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Sun, what's that?