New windshield install cost $50 and took 2+ hours!!!

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Fez

New windshield install cost $50 and took 2+ hours!!!

Post by Fez »

So with many thanks to Indyglow for her kind offer of a free Givi tall windshield (323DT), and armed with Maddiedog's clear and concise visual instructions, I set out to replace my stock windshield for the winter & early spring season. Seems a straight forward project that should take me less than 15 minutes give or take. Then disaster struck. Sort of!

While removing the last screw that was holding the windshield in place, the nylon washer slips off and behind the headlight. Only I then hear it fall inside the front fairing and all the way down to the bottom. I double check all around to make sure it didn't fall to the ground, or somewhere else, but nope I'm pretty certain it's now at the bottom of that fairing near where it connects to the foot rest.

My eldest daughter can get her hand inside and feel around various cavities within the fairing, but cannot reach the bottom. I contemplate what is involved to remove what would be needed to get to that location. A quick review of the forum tells me I'm better off visiting the local hardware store 10 minutes away. I need to go in to town anyway, so I take one of the other washers with me.

In the hardware store I find 2 very close matches. One has an OD that's the same, but a smaller ID, the other has the same ID but a larger OD. For 25 cents each I take both. So how did my bill come to $50 and my install time stretch to 2 hrs? Well it turns out that the store is remodeling and most items are 50% off with everything else 20% off! :D

I consider myself fortunate that I was able to get out of there an hour later with only one bag of "much needed" items and a receipt for only $50. There were many other things that I only sort of need but was able to resist! :lol:

Once back at home the rest of the install went without a hitch and I now have a tall windshield installed that will help keep me warmer and drier as I try and extend my riding season as long as possible here on the edge of the snow belt in Ohio.

Now I might have to take it for a test ride that will probably take me past the hardware store. The saving factor there will be that whatever I end up buying will have to fit under the seat, or strapped to the back seat! :D

I can't say a big enough thank you to Indyglow, and a big shout out to Maddiedog though! The real cost of the whole project was only 25 cents and 30 minutes if I don't include driving time!
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Re: New windshield install cost $50 and took 2+ hours!!!

Post by Mel46 »

Well there are always unforseen things you have to be careful of when working on these scooters. Last night Maddiedog, his wife, and my wife tore down our PCX 150 to adjust the valves, replace a front panel, redo some of the wiring for my add on tail lights, and replace the rear bulb which had blown....oh, and change the sparkplug. We ended up with a 5 hour project, and a broken bolt. Here is a word of warning to everyone. Don't believe the torque specs in the service manual. We had a torque wrench and a service manual, but when we got to one of the bolts we never made it to the required torque. The bolt head snapped off with only a single thread showing....on the valve cover, of all places! After putting the bike back together it ran fine for our short trip home at 10 pm. Today we are putting it to the real test by riding to one of our favorite donut places. Dave couldn't come, so we will bring some to him. :-)
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Pedro-agogo
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Pedro-agogo »

Great story- where's the photos? Don't kids with little fingers come in handy at times?
Fez

Post by Fez »

Here's the final product! After Maddiedog's great pictorial instructions I figured there was no need to take pictures during the process!! Tomorrow morning will be the first real test. The overnight temperatures are supposed to be in the high twenties (F) so I figure the ride to work will be around 30-35 not taking into consideration windchill. At least it will be dry, and hopefully due to the windshield a little warmer than it might have been with just the stock screen.

It was spitting with rain, hence the cover still on the rest of the bike!
2013-11-02 13.33.05 (576x1024).jpg
2013-11-02 13.33.05 (576x1024).jpg (392.03 KiB) Viewed 1078 times
Pedro-agogo
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Pedro-agogo »

That looks terrific Fez. Yeah- maddiedog's instructions are great.
Fez

Post by Fez »

Ride in this morning was cold!! But it was cold on my seat and cold on my back!! I've never noticed that before as it was always the full frontal assault that had my attention! Now I feel as if I have this pocket of warmth right behind the shield. My top speed also increased, something I wasn't sure I'd see happen, and in fact thought it might be a little worse based on some of the feedback on the forums. I'm guessing that my svelte, "aerodynamics of a brick" form :lol: is now hiding somewhat behind a sleeker profile!! Either that or I had a good tail wind and the two of us were acting as a nice sail!! We'll see what the ride home brings, as well as the next fuel up.

Anyone added an extra battery for a heated seat, gloves and back insert? :D
Lecompte
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Lecompte »

Nice job. Just wondering.......where are you getting the free Givi windshields????? :lol:
logepoge1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by logepoge1 »

Lecompte wrote:Nice job. Just wondering.......where are you getting the free Givi windshields????? :lol:
Lol. I got the short one thanks to Indy
ImageImage
Fez

Post by Fez »

logepoge1 wrote:
Lecompte wrote:Nice job. Just wondering.......where are you getting the free Givi windshields????? :lol:
Lol. I got the short one thanks to Indy

I was fortunate to be on the forums right after Indyglow decided to offer up two free windshields viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1842&hilit=free+to+good+home

"Decent" and "generous" only begins to describe the offer!

My ride home was a warmer version of my ride in. A little more top speed, enough that I hit the limiter for the 1st time ever! It was a little strange, wondered what was going on until I looked down and saw I was doing about 67!! Looking forward to seeing what this does for my fuel efficiency too!

In case anyone else is in the market for a windshield, I'm 5' 8" and see over the top of this shield, unless I'm doing <25 through my neighbourhood and watching the lousy pot hole patches masquerading as a road surface :lol: Once I hit 30+ I'm looking further in front, and that's over the shield.