How-To: Install an Aftermarket Variator

Maintenance, guides, and walkthroughs for your PCX. Please do not post questions about repairing or fixing your bike here.

Moderator: Modsquad

sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013 PCX150

Re: Takegawa Variator (how to install an aftermarket variato

Post by sendler2112 »

I get only the slightest shudder and only occasionally when it is below 40F with the sliders and that is with an 8,000 mile belt.
Changing to sliders still won't make cruising 65 mph very easy on the bike. That will still be very nearly full throttle all of the time depending on the wind. I run 65 every day for a two mile stretch but don't take the interstate all the way home as that is over 9,000 rpm.
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2019
Color: Black

Post by Alibally »

I have ordered a set of 13g Dr pulley sliders. I'm not expecting miracles for £20 we will see what like they are. My only query is with a standard pulley is it better to fit a spacer or not?
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Alibally wrote:I have ordered a set of 13g Dr pulley sliders. I'm not expecting miracles for £20 we will see what like they are. My only query is with a standard pulley is it better to fit a spacer or not?
Where did you get them from for £20?
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by Alibally »

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181228993058
Feedback looks ok. I don't normally order from the Far East as there are loads of copy's about but we will see how it goes.

They are coming from Taiwan so I might get them for the better weather next year....
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Alibally wrote:http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181228993058
Feedback looks ok. I don't normally order from the Far East as there are loads of copy's about but we will see how it goes.

They are coming from Taiwan so I might get them for the better weather next year....
I'll do the same now
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Dave, I MAY have a solution for your windscreen problem. Note that I said MAY. You will have to look at our windscreen to see if the concept might help you keep the wind protection but lose some of the wind resistance. We have ordered one of the tall windscreens like you have, but we are not going to get rid of the one I modified, just in case the larger one doesn't work out. Here is a picture of our bikes when we stopped a Vogel Park recently. Look at her windscreen. The upper part is narrow but still provides protection. I added that mod. It has been on her bike for long enough to know that it can withstand windy days and freeway speeds. It is just a thought, but it might work as a compromise.
Us at Volgel Park.JPG
Us at Volgel Park.JPG (162.46 KiB) Viewed 4292 times
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

you you wrote:

I'll do the same now

Done. £21.94. Lets see how they go
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Mel46 wrote:Dave, I MAY have a solution for your windscreen problem. Note that I said MAY. You will have to look at our windscreen to see if the concept might help you keep the wind protection but lose some of the wind resistance. We have ordered one of the tall windscreens like you have, but we are not going to get rid of the one I modified, just in case the larger one doesn't work out. Here is a picture of our bikes when we stopped a Vogel Park recently. Look at her windscreen. The upper part is narrow but still provides protection. I added that mod. It has been on her bike for long enough to know that it can withstand windy days and freeway speeds. It is just a thought, but it might work as a compromise.
Us at Volgel Park.JPG
The screens have certainly kept the bugs and dirt away
Mgalutia88
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013 PCX 150
Color: Red

Post by Mgalutia88 »

Has anyone besides me put the washer behind the variator? It works quite well for me. This keeps the spacing between the belt halves stock and still gives the needed spacer for the nut to tighten correctly on the crank. At least with the NCY variator this was the issue for me. Without the washer I could feel the variator slipping at all rpms. I rode it about five miles and tore back into it to install he washer. That was 1100 miles ago now.
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by sendler2112 »

Alibally wrote:is it better to fit a spacer or not?
I don't have a spacer in mine.
Pcxdemon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Pcxdemon »

Mgalutia88 wrote:Has anyone besides me put the washer behind the variator? It works quite well for me. This keeps the spacing between the belt halves stock and still gives the needed spacer for the nut to tighten correctly on the crank. At least with the NCY variator this was the issue for me. Without the washer I could feel the variator slipping at all rpms. I rode it about five miles and tore back into it to install he washer. That was 1100 miles ago now.
It shouldnt go behind the vario but slide it on the crank just before you install outer pulley on...it should rest against boss sleeve and outer pulley..
Mgalutia88
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Mgalutia88 »

I had put it between the boss and the block itself. I'll have to look at it again when I complete my next service ie tomorrow. Are there any drawbacks to having the washer on the opposite side of the boss?
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by Alibally »

Mgalutia88 wrote:I had put it between the boss and the block itself. I'll have to look at it again when I complete my next service ie tomorrow. Are there any drawbacks to having the washer on the opposite side of the boss?
The pulleys won't be in line so you could wear the sides of the belt prematurely.
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by Alibally »

sendler2112 wrote:
Alibally wrote:is it better to fit a spacer or not?
I don't have a spacer in mine.
cheers
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

mikelx5 wrote:will this hurt anything in the long run and with your 150 did you have this problem at all with just sliders im not going vario yet im more worried about acceleration and maintaining of a higher cruise speed i want to be able maintain around 65 easier.
My bike's a 125...

I don't have sliders.

Any mod increasing top speed will mean more strain on the engine at max RPM relative to stock. It's not necessarily bad, and will reduce the life of your engine. How much is completely unknown, and factors like your maintenance schedule will likely affect the life more. Anyways, it's a Honda. I ride the tiny thing at the limiter for a tank at a time and don't particularly worry about it.

Mel46 wrote:Dave, I MAY have a solution for your windscreen problem.
That's kinda cool, it's like the laminar lip windscreens. I don't consider my windshield a problem though, but I'm still interested if what you've done offers better protection than my setup.
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

you you wrote:
you you wrote:

I'll do the same now

Done. £21.94. Lets see how they go

Do a "how to" or is everyone not bothered?
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by Alibally »

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1383389972.981592.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1383389972.981592.jpg (111.72 KiB) Viewed 4274 times
Sliders have arrived. Now to get the time to fit them......
Mgalutia88
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Mgalutia88 »

I realized something it doesn't matter which side your spacer is installed on. The spacer shims the variator boss which in turn moves the outer pulley half. Whether you shim in front of or behind the boss it moves the outer drive face out. With the NCY variator a shim MUST be installed to allow the boss and outer drive face to tighten against one another. Otherwise you get excessive belt slip between the two pulley halves.
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by sendler2112 »

Mgalutia88 wrote:spacer
Let's think about this. I have heard of the spacer being used if belt chatter on take off develops after installing Dr.Pulley sliders in the stock variator. It is because the design of the sliders allows a lower gear range for quicker take off by allowing the inner pulley to slide inward farther than stock which lets the belt drop down farther into the V. If the gap becomes too large for any given belt, the belt will not be squeezed between the pulley halves until the engine revs up enough to start throwing the weights out. I haven't needed it so I didn't try it and don't really want to spend time taking my bike apart to engineer a fix for a problem I am not having.
But any spacer on the inside or outside of the boss which sets the location of the outer pulley will move it out and will make the chatter worse. The front pulleys need to be kept closer together at low range. Any spacer would have to have an i.d. to fit over the boss and be installed between the ramp plate and the inner pulley along with the weights and be the correct thickness to provide a new stop for the inner pulley. It would also be best to install it with some Locktight or something in order to stick it to the ramp face so it is not rattling around loose on the boss the whole time you are riding.
Mgalutia88
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Mgalutia88 »

The point of the shim at least in my case, is to tighten the boss against the drive face. With the NCY variator there is a gap between the variator and the drive face. Thinking about this I realize I used a shim for a different reason than most. What happened to me was simply that the new variator boss and drive face were not tall enough to tighten down. I had to shim the boss so that the variator assembly could be tightened down. The nut was just running to the bottom of the threads and the assembly was free spinning.