What is the most gas-efficient speed?

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Re: What is the most gas-efficient speed?

Post by you you »

ScooterKim wrote:mostly I do 35--50 mph on a 20 mile commute each day. I was getting around 115 mpg. the last fill up I was cruising around 50--60 mph a lot and got 92 mpg. NOW I see why, by reading the above posts. I like to maximize my gas mileage but when I really thought about it, it's all about fun on a PCX! so what if I get 90 mpg instead of 115 or 120 mpg... big whoop. this isn't a car that you try to get the most out of the gas. this is ALL about the FUN!

Exactly. Just run it and enjoy yourself. You're at the right end of the mpg equation
skuuter
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by skuuter »

you you wrote:
ScooterKim wrote:mostly I do 35--50 mph on a 20 mile commute each day. I was getting around 115 mpg. the last fill up I was cruising around 50--60 mph a lot and got 92 mpg. NOW I see why, by reading the above posts. I like to maximize my gas mileage but when I really thought about it, it's all about fun on a PCX! so what if I get 90 mpg instead of 115 or 120 mpg... big whoop. this isn't a car that you try to get the most out of the gas. this is ALL about the FUN!

Exactly. Just run it and enjoy yourself. You're at the right end of the mpg equation
Yep, for sure.....it's all about the "Fun Factor"..... 8)
Ridin' and Socializin' the Southeastern USA on a 2014 Honda FORZA 300 Scooter...45+ years of Riding averaging 30,000 miles per year...!!!
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Even when I absolutely thrashed the nuts off my PCX it still gave more than double the miles per gallon of the average car.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
cessna151
Regular User
Regular User

Post by cessna151 »

you you wrote:
cessna151 wrote:
you you wrote:
Isn't the clutch fully engaged at just over walking speed?
Correct. The slower you go the better the mpg, until the clutch starts slipping of course.

Life is too short
Agreed! :D However, it is the most direct answer to the OP's question.
gokidd
Regular User
Regular User

Post by gokidd »

Bah, I know the OP.
He actually likes far-ranging discussions!
He may have posed the question to elicit just that.
This sure is a fun place to hang out.
Let us boogie ...
Honda PCX 150
Yamaha Majesty 400
DAB
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: Red

Post by DAB »

In my experience the most neglected part of a motorcycle is TYRE pressure, has a huge affect on mpg and speed, plus your tyres wear out quicker. Some alloy wheels can be porous and will need filling more then others.
Other rides
Yamaha MT-01, Yamaha BT1100, Yamaha WR250R, Ducati 900 GTS, Honda VFR 750FV, Honda Forza 350
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

I generally get around 95mpg US and am between 40-50mph for most cruising.

My best tank was on a mountain run, which was HUGE steep uphills at 35mph followed by HUGE steep downhills with basically no throttle. I got 110mpg. My worst tank was earlier that day, where I rode at the limiter for a whole tank on the highway and got just around 80mpg.
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
Fez

Post by Fez »

Makes me wonder if I'm doing something wrong or if I need to have the bike checked out. I ride full out for almost the whole of my 14 miles each way commute. I barely hold 50-55 up the inclines and will maybe hit 60-62 on the declines. Drafting is the only time I go faster :D I have 3 lights and 3 turns, otherwise it's a 55mph straight with cages wanting to do 60+. I can hold 58 in traffic with a reasonably comfortable distance to a bigger vehicle in front. I'm averaging 70mpg. I'm 5' 7" very stocky and 200lb (yeah I know :oops: ). Soon to be adding a tall Givi for the winter riding, not sure if that will help or make it worse! I purposefully accelerate at a reasonable rate, not just wind it all the way back from a stand still, but 75mpg is the best I can hope for. Not since the day I picked it up have I had 90+ mpg; and not since the break-in period where I rode at 45mph have I had 80+mpg. Oil change and valve clearance was done at 650 by Honda.

Will definitely check the tyres. Also thinking of other mods like variator/weights, and when the back tyre wears out I may go up a size.