painting chromy parts

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

mikelx5
Regular User
Regular User

painting chromy parts

Post by mikelx5 »

first thing first if this is in the wrong place place move it to the correct one

im not into chrome at all and i wanna paint the chrome base of the bars, but not sure what to use or how to make it look good while ridding it of chrome.
DISOBEDIENCE CREW
blackcat54
Regular User
Regular User

Re: painting chromy parts

Post by blackcat54 »

mikelx5
Regular User
Regular User

Post by mikelx5 »

thanks but im meaning the plastic chromelike parts under the bars
DISOBEDIENCE CREW
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Post by kramnala58 »

Why paint them? I believe that there are aftermarket ones out there in various colors to match almost any PCX.
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
mikelx5
Regular User
Regular User

Post by mikelx5 »

money lol :D
DISOBEDIENCE CREW
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Krylon Fusion for plastics? or similar product? Rough it up, & spray?
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
mikelx5
Regular User
Regular User

Post by mikelx5 »

would it still adhere im kinda debating on vinyl wrap now
DISOBEDIENCE CREW
dasshreddar
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: forzaruckuspcx
Color: black

Post by dasshreddar »

I just use spray paint once again, gloss or flat black depending on mood ;) , and touch up as needed.
ericpcx
Regular User
Regular User

Post by ericpcx »

try Plasti dip
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

WhiteNoise wrote:Krylon Fusion for plastics? or similar product? Rough it up, & spray?
Sometimes you don't sound like a burd
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

:D and why? Cause I'm Not tweeting?
And sometimes......
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Ohhhkaaayyyy
Warlock

Post by Warlock »

Plasti dip is the way to go. if you every want to remove the plasti dip just pull it off. I HATE chrome also and I'm in the process of murdering out my Camaro. Just Spray multiple coats wait for each coat to dry, the more coats you add the easier it is to remove. When you don't want it on any more
just peel off and it's gone!
Attachments
2013-04-24 18.29.01 copy.jpg
2013-04-24 18.29.01 copy.jpg (294.71 KiB) Viewed 4184 times
RED WUNZ GO FASTA
katschamne
Regular User
Regular User

Post by katschamne »

I agree that the Plasti dip is the way to go. My husband's cousin had this done to her car. While I'm not into to a fluorescent pink cars, it was something different. You can find a butt load of videos on Youtube.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

You could use the clear plastic colour to winterise or chipproof vulnerable parts. Never heard of this stuff before
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

Hmmm....plasti dip. Me, I wouldn't jump in with two feet on dipping mine...But then I tend to overthink things (Like....scared) :oops:
I have a few questions: Is there any chance that while it's adhered to your finish, & after sitting in full (hot weather) sun, that it would ruin your "lovely" Camaro or PCX's paint? Like maybe create a haze if you were to peel it off? Is there any nasty chemical in it? Oh yeah, and does this dip dry in a matte finish? Appreciate any feed back. Interesting product :) Thank ya!
Warlock

Post by Warlock »

The beauty of plasti dip is that it is removable, if you over spray onto paint you can use any automotive bug-tar remover to remove it, also with sufficient layers of application it just peels off without leaving any residue on the surface it was applied to. It can be applied to nearly any surface as long as it is cleaned first. It comes in many colors and finishes, gloss or matte, it can be applied and typically lasts several years, normal ware and tear is equal to vinyl applications, but with the benefit of reapplying a new coat if it gets minor scratches. Plasti Dip stays on in sub zero temps and up can take a hot 120+degree day with out warping. It also acts like a shield protecting the surface underneath from the elements, moisture, UV and minor scratches dings.
would I use it on my scooter? maybe on the underside as an extra layer of protection. I don't like chrome but on a bike it's normal so I wouldn't go through the trouble just to spray the handlebars. That's just my opinion But for my car yup. blacked out Chevy logo on the back, chrome tail light bezels, gas filler cap, and soon blacked out rims. and when I'm tired of the look it peels right off!
RED WUNZ GO FASTA
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Warlock wrote:The beauty of plasti dip is that it is removable, if you over spray onto paint you can use any automotive bug-tar remover to remove it, also with sufficient layers of application it just peels off without leaving any residue on the surface it was applied to. It can be applied to nearly any surface as long as it is cleaned first. It comes in many colors and finishes, gloss or matte, it can be applied and typically lasts several years, normal ware and tear is equal to vinyl applications, but with the benefit of reapplying a new coat if it gets minor scratches. Plasti Dip stays on in sub zero temps and up can take a hot 120+degree day with out warping. It also acts like a shield protecting the surface underneath from the elements, moisture, UV and minor scratches dings.
would I use it on my scooter? maybe on the underside as an extra layer of protection. I don't like chrome but on a bike it's normal so I wouldn't go through the trouble just to spray the handlebars. That's just my opinion But for my car yup. blacked out Chevy logo on the back, chrome tail light bezels, gas filler cap, and soon blacked out rims. and when I'm tired of the look it peels right off!
In thinking of getting some clear as a stonechip gaurd for my bikes swinging arm
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

Warlock, Excellent well written info explanation! You answered all my questions, thank you. Now I wouldn't hesitate to use it should I have the need or desire to.
I must comment again, your Rally Sport is a beauty, & I like your blackout progress! (Oh no...starting to reminisce. 1968/69 throw back tiime. Ok ok, not about the old days/cars WN :roll: Move on!) One more thing....What size engine/HP?

you you, that's a great idea! 8)