Bike Test Auto UK

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

novemberdelta

Bike Test Auto UK

Post by novemberdelta »

Hi,

Has anyone sat their bike test on an automatic? I want to avoid having to take CBT every 2 years, and to remove plates, reduce insurance and carry a passenger. Interested in any comments, opinions, experiences. Any info on cost would interest me too.

I have zero interest in riding a clutched bike, so do not really want to spend time and cash learning. Thanks :)
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Re: Bike Test Auto UK

Post by gn2 »

Its just the same process as doing a manual test.
Only without a clutch.
I've seen a riding school using a Forza in Aberdeen recently.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
novemberdelta

Post by novemberdelta »

Cheers GN2. I am in Dundee so I will have a look around. I've only got a PCX at the moment but I would like to trade up. I assumed that most test centres didn't bother with holding powerful autos. In your opinion would it be worthwhile getting a lesson or 2 before doing the test?
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

I sat my test on a 250 in 1980 and its all changed (for the worse) since then, so I'm not up to speed on the current set-up.
I've heard of people passing the test without any lessons, they just did lots of research and went for it.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
snake

Post by snake »

Yeah it's the same process - I got chatting to a guy when I did my test who was doing it on a 300cc automatic scooter as he didn't see the need to learn with gears, which was from his riding school (London). The Mod 1 and Mod 2 bits are the same - but all the slow stuff is way easier (and the pushing the bike bit). I would take a day or two's lesson, even if an experienced rider, as there's a whole bunch of stuff to know and no one rides in real life like you're supposed to do in the test. It shouldn't set you back more than about £300: Module 1 is something like £25, Module 2 is £85 and then you're likely to pay 180 for two days tuition.
novemberdelta

Post by novemberdelta »

snake wrote:Yeah it's the same process - I got chatting to a guy when I did my test who was doing it on a 300cc automatic scooter as he didn't see the need to learn with gears, which was from his riding school (London). The Mod 1 and Mod 2 bits are the same - but all the slow stuff is way easier (and the pushing the bike bit). I would take a day or two's lesson, even if an experienced rider, as there's a whole bunch of stuff to know and no one rides in real life like you're supposed to do in the test. It shouldn't set you back more than about £300: Module 1 is something like £25, Module 2 is £85 and then you're likely to pay 180 for two days tuition.
Nice one, great info. Thanks to you and GN2.
figurehead71
Regular User
Regular User

Post by figurehead71 »

I have just this week passed my test on my own PCX, in hindsight should have gone for a category A2 automatic instead however it is not only difficult finding training centres with at least 395cc automatics but (to cut a long story short) I have time limiting reasons for getting my licence now.

Will mean if I do want to move up to the Forza (or larger automatic) in the future will have to take my test again, as yourself I have no desire to ride clutch.

Cost for myself was £500 for two days training, the Module 1 and Module 2 test...most frustrating thing really is this time of year the weather can be against you.

Most of the training is ensuring you perform your relevant lifesaver checks when changing road positioning, second right shoulder checks at junctions when turning right and left shoulder checks on left turns when cycle lanes are present. Also relevant shoulder checks necessary for both single and multi lane roundabouts.

Other than that, training for u turns, emergency stop, cone work (figure of eight, weaving), controlled stops at speed and swerve hazard avoidance...all training for your module 1 test.

Bear in mind you need to pass all these three, to gain your licence whichever category you decide (the test is the same regardless)

Motorcycle Theory Test (Taken at your local Theory Test DVLA Centre)
Module 1 (Off Road circuit)
Module 2 (On Road examination ride)
figurehead71
Regular User
Regular User

Post by figurehead71 »

Motorcycle Theory Test (Taken at your local Theory Test DVLA Centre) - £35 (Retake after 3 working days)
Module 1 (Off Road circuit) - £15.50 (Retake after 3 working days)
Module 2 (On Road examination ride) - £75 (Retake after 10 working days)

So without any training you can take all three for just £125.50, providing you obviously pass each of these first time. Whether you decide to take training or not depends on both your perceived competence and being aware that the training is not only to ensure you are doing the necessary lifesaver checks for your own safety, but to ride the way THEY want you to ride in preparation for passing your test.

You could watch videos on Youtube and teach yourself possibly, I found the practice especially for Module 1 though invaluable, also nice to have an instructor telling you where you are going wrong with riding..for me personally this was being zippy then braking sharper at junctions instead of rolling off the throttle..also being further out than I should be on cornering, confusing my shoulder checks at roundabouts etc.
novemberdelta

Post by novemberdelta »

figurehead71 wrote:Motorcycle Theory Test (Taken at your local Theory Test DVLA Centre) - £35 (Retake after 3 working days)
Module 1 (Off Road circuit) - £15.50 (Retake after 3 working days)
Module 2 (On Road examination ride) - £75 (Retake after 10 working days)

So without any training you can take all three for just £125.50, providing you obviously pass each of these first time. Whether you decide to take training or not depends on both your perceived competence and being aware that the training is not only to ensure you are doing the necessary lifesaver checks for your own safety, but to ride the way THEY want you to ride in preparation for passing your test.

You could watch videos on Youtube and teach yourself possibly, I found the practice especially for Module 1 though invaluable, also nice to have an instructor telling you where you are going wrong with riding..for me personally this was being zippy then braking sharper at junctions instead of rolling off the throttle..also being further out than I should be on cornering, confusing my shoulder checks at roundabouts etc.
Thanks, good advice. I wish I had gone A2 now as well. If I had known about it I would have.

I think I will probably leave it till nextMarch/April as I don't think I will commute for Winter.

I will defo get some lessons before tests. I have a really good local centre and more training can never be a bad thing. Like you say it's good to get a professional taking a look at your riding.
Cracksta
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Cracksta »

Hello,

I did an A2 before the module stuff was introduced, so after 2 years on a 125 with no L plates, it automatically becomes a full licence, perfect at the time as it was only going to work and wasn't interested in the bigger bike then. Of course now its been over 5 years, went to 600cc and back down to 125cc for work commutes lol.

I would advise doing the manual version even if you only decide you want to go automatic, things change, situation changes, taste changes and you don't want to kick yourself down the line when you need to retake the whole test again just to get on a manual.

For me, I did a CBT, rode for a few months before going to do the A2 test, I had 2 lessons and on the 3rd day (Saturday) I sat my test and passed).
siplumb
Regular User
Regular User

Bike Test Auto UK

Post by siplumb »

Thanks for starting this one, my current CBT is up in January and I'm starting to weigh up the options. I'm loving the pcx 125 but wanting to work up to something bigger. As it's my first bike I was tempted to redo the CBT and get a few more years experience but the forza has possibly changed that. But, if I see myself on two wheels for good now and building up to bigger machines over time, is it worth taking a test on a manual? My concern is if I then just ride autos for a few years I'd probably crash the first time I ride out on a bike with gears!
Brian

Post by Brian »

I have the same problem. Do I go for training on a geared bike or try and find a trainer with a big scooter that will satisfy the A or A2 licence requiremants? I had a geared yamaha 125 and didn't get along with it at all. With the PCX and no gears to bother with I can concentrate on the road and the traffic, it's briliant! Also, you don't neeed young hips to allow you to swing your leg over! I'd like to move up to at least a Forza. Only problem with an automatic bike licence is you can only legally ride an automatic. Ride a geared bike and you are breaking the law and your insurance would be invalid!
I will be ringing round the local training schools to find out what they can do ref big automatics. A silverwing or integra with more than 35kW power would be ideal for a class A. The Yamaha Tmax just slips in to A2 with 34.2KW
What is the color of wind?
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

A manual licence is definitely worth having.
As an example, when my PCX was in for services I was loaned a variety of bikes, all of them manual.
If I had an auto licence no loan bike would have been available.
In time you may want to have a scooter for practical transport and a manual bike for fun.
(I'm currently hankering after a good used SRX-6 as a project, maybe one day...)
Doing a manual test makes a lot more sense to me, and its not difficult to change gear.
Its a pain in the arse in city traffic, but not difficult.
DAB
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: Red

Post by DAB »

gn2 wrote:A manual licence is definitely worth having.
As an example, when my PCX was in for services I was loaned a variety of bikes, all of them manual.
If I had an auto licence no loan bike would have been available.
In time you may want to have a scooter for practical transport and a manual bike for fun.
(I'm currently hankering after a good used SRX-6 as a project, maybe one day...)
Doing a manual test makes a lot more sense to me, and its not difficult to change gear.
Agree 100%
Other rides
Yamaha MT-01, Yamaha BT1100, Yamaha WR250R, Ducati 900 GTS, Honda VFR 750FV, Honda Forza 350
meissinger
Regular User
Regular User

Post by meissinger »

DAB wrote:
gn2 wrote:A manual licence is definitely worth having...
Agree 100%
in CA we only have the motorcycle license -- so, it's better to get the license and be ABLE to shift, even if you have no need to.