Regular Gas?

Drivetrain upgrades, engine upgrades, or any other mods to gain speed or acceleration.

Moderator: Modsquad

Nappier

Regular Gas?

Post by Nappier »

Has anyone noticed a difference in how your PCX runs with regular gas instead of premium?
logepoge1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Re: Regular Gas?

Post by logepoge1 »

Nappier wrote:Has anyone noticed a difference in how your PCX runs with regular gas instead of premium?
I just put premium in cause it's only like 0.40 extra a fillup
ImageImage
dasshreddar
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: forzaruckuspcx
Color: black

Post by dasshreddar »

No difference, I used to put premium(91) in, now using regular(87)... saving a fortune :lol:

Manual says 86 octane or higher.
~Cheap_Ride~
Regular User
Regular User

Post by ~Cheap_Ride~ »

My gas is never regular.....
jkhawaii
Regular User
Regular User

Post by jkhawaii »

No difference to me. Manual calls for regular.
Warlock

Post by Warlock »

The only difference is the money you spend on premium. Save your money for something else. Like valve clearance checks.... :cry:
RED WUNZ GO FASTA
logepoge1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by logepoge1 »

Warlock wrote:The only difference is the money you spend on premium. Save your money for something else. Like valve clearance checks.... :cry:
Yeah I will switch back to regular. Notice no increase in mpg after three fillups. Still getting around 80mpg
ImageImage
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

Warlock wrote:The only difference is the money you spend on premium. Save your money for something else. Like valve clearance checks.... :cry:
Why pay for it? http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=24
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
SportRiderrr

Post by SportRiderrr »

The tank is small enough to the point where it'll only cost a little extra to put premium. If you're really stretching your wallet and can't afford that then don't do it. I don't see anything wrong with treating your baby to premium if you can afford it.
jkhawaii
Regular User
Regular User

Post by jkhawaii »

Won't hurt using premium but, won't help either.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I just switched from regular to Premium because the ethanol in the regular was making my scooter run erratic at times. If I find a station selling regular that does not have ethanol in it I put that in it. Same thing was happening with my Burgman. This is what my Burgman book says I should use:

FUEL (FOR USA AND CANADA)
Use only unleaded gasoline of at least 87 pump octane ((R + M)/2 ) or 91 octane or higher rated by the research method.
Gasoline containing MTBE (Methyl Tertiary Butyl Ether), less than 10% ethanol, or less than 5% methanol with appropriate cosolvents and corrosion inhibitor is permissible.
FUEL (FOR OTHER COUNTRIES)
Gasoline used should be graded 91 octane (Research Method) or higher. Unleaded gasoline is recommended
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
MrSuperchicken1
Regular User
Regular User

Post by MrSuperchicken1 »

Well, I have tried Premium, Mid-Grade, and Regular, and this last time put non-ethonol 90 octane and have not noticed any real differences. Maybe (maybe) 2 more mpg with the non-ethonol, but that is not enough to really say there is a definitive difference. I am only getting 72-75 mpg with mine. I drive 55 mph and a good bit of hills, so I have never seen the 90-100 mpg range many are getting with theirs. I wonder what a Forza would get me with the same trips...
Honda4me

Post by Honda4me »

Hi all. I've been checking out the board for a while and waiting for my new PCX to arrive. My current SYM VS150 seems to like 95 RON however still goes well on 91 and 98 when i decide to use either.

In all the bikes I have owned over the years fuel octane rarely any noticable difference in power however I have found (maybe just a mental perception) that higher octane seems to run smoother/cleaner. I'm no petro-expert so might just be imagination. This may be more down to the lesser likelihood of bad quality premium fuel?

There is also the quality of fuels available. Finding a servo that sells and maintains GOOD QUALITY fuel of any type from 91-98 OCTANE is more important to me that using a specific RON rating. I haven't found a way to check the quality of fuel before so it's anyone's guess.

Air humidity, temperature, pressure all have a factor in how clean our engine's run.
Warlock

Post by Warlock »

maddiedog wrote:
I discovered that it is much better for the item involved to be left to the professionals who have the time, training and the tools to do the job right the first time with out breaking anything after the first few minutes of the endeavor. Such things can be bloody expensive.
RED WUNZ GO FASTA
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Warlock wrote:
maddiedog wrote:
I discovered that it is much better for the item involved to be left to the professionals who have the time, training and the tools to do the job right the first time with out breaking anything after the first few minutes of the endeavor. Such things can be bloody expensive.
Different people do have different levels of competency, funding and naivety.
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

you you wrote:Different people do have different levels of competency, funding and naivety.
Guess so. A valve adjustment is easy, especially with the pictorial how-to. ;)
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
Mgalutia88
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013 PCX 150
Color: Red

Post by Mgalutia88 »

maddiedog can we ad the specs for the pcx 150 into the how-to. The senior mechanic at my local dealer (30+ years of working on Honda bikes) showed me the spec in his book to be (erroneous, removed. Proper spec in how-to) for the exhaust specs.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

maddiedog wrote:
you you wrote:Different people do have different levels of competency, funding and naivety.
Guess so. A valve adjustment is easy, especially with the pictorial how-to. ;)

For the sake of balance can I do a pictorial how to of not bothering checking them?
Mgalutia88
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013 PCX 150
Color: Red

Post by Mgalutia88 »

You just need a picture of kneeling next to the bike with your ear against the bodywork under the front of the seat and then one more picture of you waving it off kneeling next to the scooter.
Done.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Mgalutia88 wrote:You just need a picture of kneeling next to the bike with your ear against the bodywork under the front of the seat and then one more picture of you waving it off kneeling next to the scooter.
Done.

One picture more? In the pub with a pint and an unworried look?