Pics of top & side boxes

Pictures of your scooter, ride reports, and day trips.

Moderator: Modsquad

dustin91
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: Red

Pics of top & side boxes

Post by dustin91 »

Had my dealer install the Givi B33 Monolock trunk. It's great for holding my Scorpion EXO-500 helmet, which was too big for underseat storage, and it *just* fits my laptop with a little extra padding, meaning I can finally commute to work. I also think it's the perfect size for the silhouette of the 150.

But, I already found that when the wife asks me to run to the grocery store for a few things (which I'm *much* happier to do now!), it fills up quickly. So I tried out some saddle bags and decided on the Nelson-Rigg CL950's. I also looked at the Classic Accessories MotoGear 73707, but found those a little too boxy in profile compared to the lines of the 150. Though the NR's were more expensive, they're very well constructed. They also come with shoulder straps, good in theory, but you're also carrying with them the really wide velcro strips, which probably just looks odd.

Although I haven't actually ridden with the side bags yet, one issue I've found already is that they make putting the scoot on the center stand much more difficult, as they block where I normally grab onto the body to rock it backwards. Not impossible, but not graceful either. The wide velcro tabs go under the seat (which never seems to close properly anyway), and the smaller clips go above the tail light and above the wheel to keep the bags on the frame. They are wide, and hang down at a bit of an angle even when empty, but they come with a good thick heat shield that looks like it will also keep the side panels from getting scratched. The bag straighteners have a really good fit, too. Once I make a real grocery run, I'll be sure to update the post. Meanwhile, I did take them off ahead of my next ride, as there's really no need for them unless I'm actually carrying stuff.

Didn't realise I should post the pics in reverse until I previewed, and I'm too lazy to change them now – gonna go wash my baby! (PS, the Apple sticker is on there because selling my stock was how I bought it. ;) )

Hope this helps any other riders make some accessory decisions!
Attachments
looped clips under frame
looped clips under frame
looped clips above tail light
looped clips above tail light
IMG_3005.JPEG
IMG_3004.JPEG
ScooterKim
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Re: Pics of top & side boxes

Post by ScooterKim »

how is the balancing with the side bags, Dustin. also, any rubbing going on? you look like you could take a week's vacation and still have plenty of room for stuff ! I do a lot of grocery store runs. I see people amused on my packing the PCX... no saddle bags but have a backpack that I bungee to the GIVI back box and a half full tunnel bag if I get really desperate and close to running out of room.
dustin91
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by dustin91 »

I'll have to get back to you on that one Kim. I suspect if they're well balanced, there won't be an issue. I didn't snap a pic of the 2 straps under the seat, but they're about 3" wide - really Velcro-y and well held in place by the closed seat (best I can tell). But yes, my thoughts went from groceries to an overnight trip somewhere! For now though, they're hanging in my garage until I need them.
dustin91
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by dustin91 »

Oh, there shouldn't be any rubbing - the heat shields have about an inch to spare all the way around, and they're maybe a quarter inch think felt. Really happy so far, but I've got to actually use them to be sure, obviously!
MrSuperchicken1
Regular User
Regular User

Post by MrSuperchicken1 »

Are these waterproof?
dustin91
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by dustin91 »

They come with waterproof covers for each bag, though I've not tested how waterproof they are.
gokidd
Regular User
Regular User

Post by gokidd »

NICE, Dustin!
Hey ... I find that I can get the scooter up on the center stand just putting my weight on the center stand footpeg thingie. No real need to grip the grab bar.
Nice luggage!!
Let us boogie ...
Honda PCX 150
Yamaha Majesty 400
dustin91
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by dustin91 »

Thanks Kidd! I still need to grab the bike to get it on the center stand. I'm a bit of a lightweight, which is probably a good thing!
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

8) That looks really sharp & fitting dustin! Funny I've not been a fan of the top cases but with your saddlebags it works and in more than meets the eye :P So yes, please come back and let us know how an "empty" And "full" ride feels when you have the time.
Suggestion: As a pre-test, a few 1 gallon water bottles loaded up should give you an idea of weight, (& when wife not looking), raid the cupboard for the rest and add rolls of paper towels then throw a six pack or two in ;) I had done similar with my tail bag before taking a "true ride." I stuffed it.
Be careful, it'll be different with siders on. Nice pickin's! :P
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
dustin91
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by dustin91 »

Thanks White! I'm really happy with the way they look on the PCX too, especially how they're angled towards the rear – another pair I ordered but never even took out of the box were rectangular, and just didn't do the lines of the scooter any justice.

So far, I've only traveled with some extra stuff for the occasional commute to work (which is my dad's basement 10 miles away, hardly corporate)... just a pair of shorts, lightweight sandals, a backup hard drive, and lunch. My laptop goes in the Givi, where it's far safer. I did one small grocery run and didn't notice any bouncing or sway – the way I placed the tie-downs from one bag to the other was more secure than I thought it would be, even though it angles the bags inward toward the bottom.

But great idea about loading up with some water (or wine, or beer, or bourbon :P ) for a real test of weight capacity. I'd love to do an overnight campout with them, but I'd need individual gear for that, not the gigantic 4-6 person tent I have. Still looking to put on a Givi windshield which may balance the look even more - that'll be a project soon enough I hope!

One thing about the Givi Monolock box - it's rated to carry no more than 6.6 lbs. That's just crazy. I wouldn't overload it (it's not to big anyway), but the thing itself must way a good 4 or 5 pounds. The mounting bracket looks real solid, so I imagine they're just covering their a**es for liability.

I love, love, love this machine - my first cycle ever. Already looking forward to the commute home!
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

Which Givi screen? Medium or tall? Clear or smoke? Smoke would look great! Agree, do not overload your bins especially first off and getting use to them (safety/confidence counts). I like all the straps you got going to hold them tight and where they're located. 8) By the way I'm wondering is your rack metal or plastic? I've seen the metal version on the forum and I like it, (I'm writing notes) but still waiting to see the Forza before "overspending" (I've been known to do that in the past.....Badda-Bling'n'Things) They're so Easy to Spoil :D aren't they?
Next....Where oh where will the tent, then golf bag & Fishing pole go? It could happen ;)
(I feel a joker coming around the bend, as in "loaded up scooter-toon" :lol:
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
dustin91
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by dustin91 »

Thanks on the straps! Took a while to figure out where best they should go, and I was worried the one under the wheel well would get hot, but it hasn't been an issue.

I'm looking at the medium screen, probably in smoke – I'm only 5'7", not a whole lot to shield! Plus, the tall looks out of balance to me, the clear looks invisible, and the dark just too dark.

If you have an opinion on another shield, or different height, I'm all ears!

And yes, I've owned only 4 cars in almost 30 years, and never cared about doing anything extra to them. This PCX though is totally different. On Sunday I'm hoping to apply the red wheel decals I got last week, put my little Apple sticker on the front (been a user since 1981), added the red 3M reflective tape along the panels (just in case), put an analog clock on the dash, added USB power ports and a RAM mount... there's nothing I won't do now, wallet permitting!
Taz
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Taz »

I like your top and side boxes, both look great. Just wondering how a pillion passenger will get on though! I take the occasional pax so just have an open rack.
dustin91
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by dustin91 »

Passenger? :lol:
strkngfang
Regular User
Regular User

Post by strkngfang »

I like it!!
Dan
2015 Honda Forza- red
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

I have no experience with any other screen, sorry. I like my clear Medium Givi. Would I be happy with it at (55/60) constant speed, not sure, but not a problem as I keep my 125 running at 45/50 most times. My choosing a clear was due to the scratches I noticed on my dark stock screen when my bike was delivered And because I like the crisp look of clear on a White. I Do like the look of the medium smoke though & on your Red it'll be smokin' 8)
BTW, smart/nice add-ons! Did you get the rim tape on today? Was it a struggle?
dustin91
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by dustin91 »

Not yet, but I'll post pics when I do!
SportRiderrr

Post by SportRiderrr »

dustin91 wrote:Had my dealer install the Givi B33 Monolock trunk. It's great for holding my Scorpion EXO-500 helmet, which was too big for underseat storage, and it *just* fits my laptop with a little extra padding, meaning I can finally commute to work. I also think it's the perfect size for the silhouette of the 150.

But, I already found that when the wife asks me to run to the grocery store for a few things (which I'm *much* happier to do now!), it fills up quickly. So I tried out some saddle bags and decided on the Nelson-Rigg CL950's. I also looked at the Classic Accessories MotoGear 73707, but found those a little too boxy in profile compared to the lines of the 150. Though the NR's were more expensive, they're very well constructed. They also come with shoulder straps, good in theory, but you're also carrying with them the really wide velcro strips, which probably just looks odd.

Although I haven't actually ridden with the side bags yet, one issue I've found already is that they make putting the scoot on the center stand much more difficult, as they block where I normally grab onto the body to rock it backwards. Not impossible, but not graceful either. The wide velcro tabs go under the seat (which never seems to close properly anyway), and the smaller clips go above the tail light and above the wheel to keep the bags on the frame. They are wide, and hang down at a bit of an angle even when empty, but they come with a good thick heat shield that looks like it will also keep the side panels from getting scratched. The bag straighteners have a really good fit, too. Once I make a real grocery run, I'll be sure to update the post. Meanwhile, I did take them off ahead of my next ride, as there's really no need for them unless I'm actually carrying stuff.

Didn't realise I should post the pics in reverse until I previewed, and I'm too lazy to change them now – gonna go wash my baby! (PS, the Apple sticker is on there because selling my stock was how I bought it. ;) )

Hope this helps any other riders make some accessory decisions!

those are nice, unfortunately my local walmart doesn't have those....I looked around and foudn these, http://www.vikingbags.com/Viking-AXE-Sa ... -Bikes.htm. I live nearby so Im' going to just pick them up myself and save the time from shipping. Good post though! Got me interested in getting some myself.
dustin91
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by dustin91 »

Those look nice as well, and I like the outside zippered pockets. Same price as the Nelson Riggs, and they look just as sturdy. It's a small investment to really add a lot of storage!
SportRiderrr

Post by SportRiderrr »

dustin91 wrote:Those look nice as well, and I like the outside zippered pockets. Same price as the Nelson Riggs, and they look just as sturdy. It's a small investment to really add a lot of storage!
yeah man, that's exactly what I was thinking!