does the PCX have any common problems? (if any)

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Bash On!
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: does the PCX have any common problems? (if any)

Post by Bash On! »

Bash On, could you explain more about "drag" please? Do you hear this, feel this or both?

Disclaimer: I am not a mechanic, not even a shade-tree mechanic, nor do I play one on TV.

"Drag" in the context I was referring to is having a brake always slightly "on," that is, having the brake pad lightly touching the brake drum or disc. Having drag wears out brakes faster and can have an effect on performance. You may or may not notice it (brake sound or reduced performance) in day-to-day usage, depending on how bad it is. Even I can easily spot brake drag on a bicycle, because the brake components are out in the open and it's easy to tell when a wheel is not spinning freely. It would take a better eye than mine to do the same on a scooter's drum brake, but I suppose you could check with the scooter on the centerstand.

I mentioned drag to the dealer because I didn't want them to adjust the parking brake (which uses the regular rear brake, of course) so much that drag was created just to get the parking brake to hold. I think they succeeded as the service writer specifically told me when I picked the scooter up that they ensured there was no drag, and I haven't noticed anything untoward since. (I really like it when they listen to the consumer!)

Best,
Bash On!

P.S. My wife is originally from LI (Hamptons); she regains her accent when she goes back to visit and it takes a week before I can understand her again.
2013 PCX 150 [now an ex-bike, soon to be consigned to the bottom line of the sig]
2013 Silver Wing ABS (Black)
1971 BMW R75/5 (White)
Too many ex-bikes to list, and, besides, who really cares what we used to own?
Warlock

Post by Warlock »

The bolt for the oil drain on my PCX150 was on so tight when I attempted my 1st oil change, I broke my socket wrench :x aside from that some minor condensation in the plastic of the gauge pack... o_O
RED WUNZ GO FASTA
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Bash On! Thanks for spelling that out so clearly :)
Here's what I noticed a few weeks back: I use silicone earplugs and a full face helmet riding and after I adjusted the nut on the parking brake about 5 threads in from the bolts tip, I heard (inside my helmet) a weird grab sound while braking to a stop. I immediately attributed it to my recent adjustment. So I readjusted the nut to 3 threads in from the bolts tip and the grab sound disappeared. I've now learned the sounds proper name, "drag." Cheers! :P
8) Funny about your wife's L.I. accent, kinda like riding a bike ya never forget :D Oh wow, the Hamptons, Very Nice! Best part of this Island is out east, Hampton's > Montauk. I've been out that-a-way many times vacationing, fishing, etc. Just Lovely!!
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
SportRiderrr

Post by SportRiderrr »

you you wrote:The wife keeps on borrowing it

hhaha that's definitely a problem!
ScooterKim
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by ScooterKim »

you you wrote:The wife keeps on borrowing it
that's an easy fix! and don't say your PCX is in lock down now!
katschamne
Regular User
Regular User

Post by katschamne »

Right now I have mine in the shop for apparent belt slippage. Although I believe it's just my scooter as I have never heard of anyone having this problem either on this forum and neither has the dealer. My scooter has about 550 miles on it. I'm hoping that I don't have a lemon in the bunch. If I do, I have a feeling that I'll be trading it in on a F6B Goldwing for the hubby and then I might just ride his Honda 600 Shadow instead. Not what I want because I like my PCX.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

katschamne wrote:Right now I have mine in the shop for apparent belt slippage. Although I believe it's just my scooter as I have never heard of anyone having this problem either on this forum and neither has the dealer. My scooter has about 550 miles on it. I'm hoping that I don't have a lemon in the bunch. If I do, I have a feeling that I'll be trading it in on a F6B Goldwing for the hubby and then I might just ride his Honda 600 Shadow instead. Not what I want because I like my PCX.

Don't worry they'll probably just pop another belt on it