New from Ohio

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Darth Emma
Regular User
Regular User

New from Ohio

Post by Darth Emma »

Hi! I'm new to these forums, but not new to Honda Scooters.

I have a 2012 Honda Ruckus that I bought as a pit bike. I really like my little Ruck and I have modded it quite a bit. Here is a pic.

The Ruck is considered a "motorcycle" in Ohio, so I got my permit last spring and have been riding it on the back-country roads near my house.

I took the 3-day motorcycle safety course about a month ago and got my license. After that experience, I wanted to get a bike that would go faster then my Ruck. (My Ruck's top speed is about 43 mph with the little GET 50cc engine, even with mods and tuning.)

I decided to get something I could ride on the main roads at reasonable speeds. So, I bought a Honda CTX700ND about 3 weeks ago. It's a blast on the open roads... great acceleration and fun on the curves. But I find it a bit awkward at low-speed maneuvering. I have spent countless hours in parking lots practicing, but it still feels very unstable at low speeds to me. I am debating on trading it back in on something lighter like a PCX150 or a Forza. I'm not sure yet.

I just wanted to say hi to this community. You seem like a great group here.
Rides 2014 Honda Forza, 2012 Honda Ruckus
gokidd
Regular User
Regular User

Re: New from Ohio

Post by gokidd »

Hello, Darth Emma!
Wow, that is certainly a tricked-out pit Ruckus!
What bike did you ride for the MSF course?
If your preference is for an automatic transmission, it seems you've arrived at the right time in this hobby.
One other thought -- that CTX700 has tremendous capability on Interstate highways. You will give that up on a PCX.
Welcome and may the force be with you.
Let us boogie ...
Honda PCX 150
Yamaha Majesty 400
Darth Emma
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Darth Emma »

gokidd wrote:Hello, Darth Emma!
Wow, that is certainly a tricked-out pit Ruckus!
What bike did you ride for the MSF course?
If your preference is for an automatic transmission, it seems you've arrived at the right time in this hobby.
One other thought -- that CTX700 has tremendous capability on Interstate highways. You will give that up on a PCX.
Welcome and may the force be with you.

In the MSF course we rode KU200s and Star 250 bikes. I also rode a Zuma125. I had no issues with those lighter bikes.

I am disabled (spine issues) and that may be why I'm struggling with the CTX700ND. Even though it has an auto transmission, it just feels top heavy to me, so I can't get comfortable on it. Maybe I should just keep practicing on the CTX700ND. But, I think I want to look forward to riding and not be so nervous about the bigger bike.

I am going to see what kind of deal I can get on a PCX150 or a Forza. If the dealer can't give me a decent deal, then I'll keep the CTX and keep working on getting better on it.

Here is a pic of my CTX.

strkngfang
Regular User
Regular User

Post by strkngfang »

I'm also an Ohioan, with spinal issues (3 surgeries), forced into retirement way too early & also a big Honda scooter fan. We've had the Elite 110, SH150i, Reflex, Silverwing & now a pair of PCXs. With my crappy back, the PCX is the perfect fit for me & I love it!!
Welcome & great job on the Ruck!!!
Dan
2015 Honda Forza- red
dasshreddar
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: forzaruckuspcx
Color: black

Post by dasshreddar »

Sweet ruckus 8)
I would say get a pcx 150, unless you mainly need highway capabilities then get the forza.
The pcx can be made to go faster, and is still somewhat light. ;)
Ruckus 200lbs, PCX 286lbs, Forza 422lbs, CTX 478lbs...
strkngfang
Regular User
Regular User

Post by strkngfang »

Exactly why I sadly parted with my Silverwing last year, and got the PCX. 551 pounds got to be too much for mostly in town riding, it was made as a tourer.
Dan
2015 Honda Forza- red
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Buy the scooter which best matches your needs and you'll enjoy it more. ;)
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
dustin91
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: Red

Post by dustin91 »

So Darth, how's the CTX holding up for you? I only found out yesterday that this is an "automatic" bike, let alone that *any* motorcycle could be automatic. I've seen this model at my dealer and LOVED the styling of it, but had no idea it could have been what I bought since I didn't want to rely on my shifting ability to ride, instead of getting the PCX.

Oh well, *next* bike!
Nines

Post by Nines »

That Ruckus is sick! I love it <3 :D
SportRiderrr

Post by SportRiderrr »

that Ruckus looks like a lot of fun! Put some videos up! Would love to see it in action.
Darth Emma
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Darth Emma »

dustin91 wrote:So Darth, how's the CTX holding up for you? I only found out yesterday that this is an "automatic" bike, let alone that *any* motorcycle could be automatic. I've seen this model at my dealer and LOVED the styling of it, but had no idea it could have been what I bought since I didn't want to rely on my shifting ability to ride, instead of getting the PCX.

Oh well, *next* bike!

I traded the CTX in on a Forza. The CTX was too big for me and my skill level. It just felt unbalanced. A lot of new riders love it though. I took too big of a step up (from 50 cc Ruck to a 679 cc CTX). On the other hand, I LOVE LOVE LOVE my Forza. It was the perfect progression for me. It handles really well and I don't feel intimidated by it, yet it does give me more of a challenge than the Ruck. Maybe in another year or two I'll try a bigger bike. But, right now I'm having fun!
dustin91
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: Red

Post by dustin91 »

Darth, the Forza was my first pick too, but my dealer already had a waiting list, and when I saw how big it would be using a Kymco as a comparison, I knew I needed something smaller and more nimble as my first bike. But the CTX looks GORGEOUS. Maybe a few years after I've upgraded to the Forza, that black beauty will be my first "real" motorcycle!