The Wheels on a Scoot Go Round and Round...

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Snowdog1

The Wheels on a Scoot Go Round and Round...

Post by Snowdog1 »

Hey PCX Forum,

Just joining, and I have to say I have really enjoyed the posts and the great info.

Thinking about a PCX purchase (likely in the Spring), but just for fun took out a Vespa LX150 for a test drive yesterday. It was a rental... Lots of fun, and I really enjoyed it. But, I have to say that the 11" and 10" wheels are causing me some real concern.

Seems like the 14" on the PCX150 would really do the trick. Does anyone have any strong thoughts about wheel size and safety? I would be riding in the Northern New Jersey area... And, the overall size of the PCX150 and the extra heft appeals to me. Not to mention the great styling!

Thanks.
dasshreddar
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: forzaruckuspcx
Color: black

Re: The Wheels on a Scoot Go Round and Round...

Post by dasshreddar »

Welcome, Yes 14"s and the PCX is the way to go. I would say 13"s are okay too, even the new Forza has a 13" rear.
10"s are okay if it is smooth. I haven't been to NJ, but I thought it was know for it's potholes :? .
Safety... probably bigger is better(at least as the speed increases). ;)
jkhawaii
Regular User
Regular User

Post by jkhawaii »

You should take a PCX out for a drive and give us your thoughts comparing it to the Vespa. I do have a Piaggio fly 50 witch is similar to a Vespa. We do have bad roads here in Hawaii. I try to avoid the pot holes with ether bike, the Piaggio is a bit more... nimble and, can change direction. The PCX while not being able to change direction as quickly is much more stable and, handles turns more confidently.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Well they are both scooters and neither are unsafe. Why not try to get a test ride of the PCX to see if the wheel size makes you feel secure
ScooterKim
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by ScooterKim »

Snowdog1 wrote:Hey PCX Forum,

But, I have to say that the 11" and 10" wheels are causing me some real concern.

Seems like the 14" on the PCX150 would really do the trick. Does anyone have any strong thoughts about wheel size and safety? I would be riding in the Northern New Jersey area... And, the overall size of the PCX150 and the extra heft appeals to me. Not to mention the great styling!

Thanks.
Hey Snowdog1. Scooterkim here from Carlisle Pa. used to live in OC NJ and had an office in Parsippany. now that was a drive! I had a Buddy 150 when I started riding. sold it for the same reason you are asking about... when you are going 45+ mph, the smaller wheels get twitchy. the larger Honda PCX wheels do not. try both and you will see what I mean. so, where are you riding in north Jersey ?
Snowdog1

Post by Snowdog1 »

Thanks all. Very helpful.

ScooterKim -- Very cool. I will post a new thread inquiring about rentals.
~Cheap_Ride~
Regular User
Regular User

Post by ~Cheap_Ride~ »

.......but I've been told that bigger wheels just cost more in tire replacement. :roll:
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Post by kramnala58 »

~Cheap_Ride~ wrote:.......but I've been told that bigger wheels just cost more in tire replacement. :roll:
You get what you pay for.
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

~Cheap_Ride~ wrote:.......but I've been told that bigger wheels just cost more in tire replacement. :roll:
Not really, scooter tires are generally cheap! The PCX gets better gas mileage than the LX150, which will more than make up for any tire cost difference over the life of the tire.

I'm a bit biased, but I'd say the PCX is more durable too. ;)

snowdog1 wrote:Thinking about a PCX purchase (likely in the Spring), but just for fun took out a Vespa LX150 for a test drive yesterday. It was a rental... Lots of fun, and I really enjoyed it. But, I have to say that the 11" and 10" wheels are causing me some real concern.
My mother-in-law has an LX 150 ie... I've ridden it many times, and she bought it new, so I can make some good comparisons:
LX 150 advantages:
- Smoother throttle delivery
- WAY easier to get on the centerstand
- Better fit and finish -- all the body panels are metal, and very nice
- More twitchy, able to dodge things better
- Lighter, with a lower center of gravity, so less affected by wind

PCX 150 advantages:
- More top speed
- Better mpg
- Cheap parts, cheaper cost initially
- No known failures or manufacturing defaults (applies to the 150cc model only, the 125cc had a few defects)
- Much more stable at speed

Oddly enough, the PCX weighs almost 50lbs more, but the Vespa feels heavier because of the weight distribution. The PCX's weight sits higher and rides more like a bicycle than a motorcycle, whereas the Vespa handles like... Well, a Vespa. It's nothing like a motorcycle, nothing like a bike. The weight's so low, it's a completely different beast.

Both are great bikes, and you'll love either.
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I have not ridden a Vespa but I can say that my wife can maneuver her PCX like a champ. Sometimes we ride in the mountains, where the roads curve every 50 feet. I have seen scooters like Vespas taking those curves somewhat slower than most motorcycles. The PCX, on the other hand, handles like a motorcycles on those curves. The weight is low on them vs the Vespa so they don't have to slow down as much in the curves. I would have to say that the handling on the PCX is phenomenal, and the tire size makes the difference. We have hit some serious potholes with it, so deep that I thought for sure that we had hit the center stand, which is its weak point. It just kept on going.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers