New member, and some newb questions

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Nines

New member, and some newb questions

Post by Nines »

Hello folks! I've been lurking quite a while, and first of all I have to thank you for the great resource you've created with this forum. It was a major source of information for me while I was deciding on my scooter. I'm located in Newfoundland, Canada, and sadly our season is petering out now...first frost will probably be tonight. I have a black 2013 PCX 150 (I'll get a pic up when I get a decent one), and I've only started riding this year. It's great fun, and I absolutely love my PCX! I suspect I'm in good company there :D I haven't made any mods to my scoot yet, but I'm working on some mirror extenders, and giving serious consideration to a windshield.

On the subject of windshields, Newfoundland is *very* windy, all the time. I'm worried my windshield would end up being a sail instead! Any thoughts?

The 150 has the combined braking system, and out of curiosity, what's the distribution of braking power (% front/%rear). Sorry, nerding it up!

Any other riders with carpal tunnel syndrome? I have it in my throttle hand, and after 10 mins or so I have a mostly dead hand. How do others deal with it?

And the ultimate newb question...I wear a ff helmet, and glasses besides. If it rains, how the blazes am I gonna see where I'm going? What does one do?
ScooterKim
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Re: New member, and some newb questions

Post by ScooterKim »

Hey Dressed to the Nines! remember that old saying?!! anyway, to answer a few of your questions... a large windscreen does not act like a sail, but in fact enables you to sail better. no wind blowing on you and you tend to go faster and feel more comfortable while doing so. as to the helmet and windscreen in the rain, use rain-ex, esp on the shield on the helmet and the windscreen. I think Pozo mentioned something about a throttle adjustment for long riding. that may help with your carpal tunnel. on the distro of braking, I think the front brakes still have 90% of the power but someone else will have to help you with that one. I just clamp on both while stopping.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

We have 'Cramp Busters' on both of our scooters to help with the throttle. They are only about $10 U.S. and are easy to put on. Also, we don't ride when it is really miserable weather, but when we do ride a tall windshield is a must.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Post by kramnala58 »

Welcome to hondapcx.org Great to have someone from Newfoundland on here. My in-laws own a summer home in Twillingate. They live there from mid may until early October. In fact they just left today for the winter home in the big smog ... Toronto. What part of the rock are you from.
I can't answer many of your questions, but be sure to look out for those moose while you are riding. :o The PCX is a little too big to just let you go under them. o_O
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
dasshreddar
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: forzaruckuspcx
Color: black

Post by dasshreddar »

Welcome, a windshield will probably be very helpful where you live, although I don't care for them.
I feel the combo brake stock is about 30% front 70% rear, I like them more separate so I've adjusted mine to about 15% front 85% rear.
Maybe a thicker grip would also be helpful or dual/triple density grip, something softer than the stock ones.
Darth Emma
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Darth Emma »

I bought a windshield for my Forza and it made a huge improvement in the handling of the bike. I think you'd love one.

I'm not sure about the specifics of the combined braking system on the PCX150, but on most bikes the front brakes do about 80% of the braking when you use both brakes together.

Get a cramp buster! It's easy to install and cheap.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001LR ... M9EQGNCLQA
Rides 2014 Honda Forza, 2012 Honda Ruckus
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Nines wrote:Hello folks! I've been lurking quite a while, and first of all I have to thank you for the great resource you've created with this forum. It was a major source of information for me while I was deciding on my scooter. I'm located in Newfoundland, Canada, and sadly our season is petering out now...first frost will probably be tonight. I have a black 2013 PCX 150 (I'll get a pic up when I get a decent one), and I've only started riding this year. It's great fun, and I absolutely love my PCX! I suspect I'm in good company there :D I haven't made any mods to my scoot yet, but I'm working on some mirror extenders, and giving serious consideration to a windshield.

On the subject of windshields, Newfoundland is *very* windy, all the time. I'm worried my windshield would end up being a sail instead! Any thoughts?

The 150 has the combined braking system, and out of curiosity, what's the distribution of braking power (% front/%rear). Sorry, nerding it up!

Any other riders with carpal tunnel syndrome? I have it in my throttle hand, and after 10 mins or so I have a mostly dead hand. How do others deal with it?

And the ultimate newb question...I wear a ff helmet, and glasses besides. If it rains, how the blazes am I gonna see where I'm going? What does one do?

I think most of us will end up with carpal tunnel syndrome eventually, especially. If you've ridden sportbikes for years I flex my hands when I get the chance. Can't you get an operation?

Tbh the PCX is really easy on the wrists
Nines

Post by Nines »

kramnala58 wrote:Welcome to hondapcx.org Great to have someone from Newfoundland on here. My in-laws own a summer home in Twillingate. They live there from mid may until early October. In fact they just left today for the winter home in the big smog ... Toronto. What part of the rock are you from.
I can't answer many of your questions, but be sure to look out for those moose while you are riding. :o The PCX is a little too big to just let you go under them. o_O
I'm in the St. Johns' area. I talked to a guy the other day who hit a moose while on his Goldwing. He (thankfully) doesn't remember anything! The only good moose is one that is neatly packaged and frozen :lol:
Nines

Post by Nines »

you you wrote: I think most of us will end up with carpal tunnel syndrome eventually, especially. If you've ridden sportbikes for years I flex my hands when I get the chance. Can't you get an operation?

I don't have any pain, so I haven't bothered with surg.
Nines

Post by Nines »

Thanks for the replies, folks! Sounds like the windshield will be a go, I'll have to hit Santa up for it!
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Nines wrote:out of curiosity, what's the distribution of braking power (% front/%rear)
I have been led to believe in the case of the PCX the CBS split is 30% front 70% rear
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
apeacezalt

Post by apeacezalt »

you you wrote:
Nines wrote:Hello folks! ...
I think most of us will end up with carpal tunnel syndrome eventually, especially. If you've ridden sportbikes for years I flex my hands when I get the chance. Can't you get an operation?

my solution
8)
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

apeacezalt wrote:
you you wrote:
Nines wrote:Hello folks! ...

my solution
8)

Tried one once. Lasted a day

Tat