New Member Checking In From Minnesota, US

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Old Dude

New Member Checking In From Minnesota, US

Post by Old Dude »

I just joined the group tonight and have been researching many informative topics. I don't own a PCX yet but will be looking at two used ones tomorrow. One is a 2011 PCX 125 and the other is a 2013 PCX 150. Both have between 300 and 500 miles. If the deal goes through okay, will either leave them both here in Minnesota and/or possibly take one out to Phoenix and leave one here in Minnesota. Guess I'll decide when I pick them both up.

We're retired now and looking for ways to enjoy ourselves and spend a little money. This looks like it might be a fun adventure.
CaptnJim
Regular User
Regular User

Re: New Member Checking In From Minnesota, US

Post by CaptnJim »

Welcome aboard. My wife and I have a pair of PCX 150s and enjoy 'em a bunch. We generally spend a couple months in the Phoenix area and find the scooters add to our enjoyment of the area... Urban adventure cruising.

Captain Jim
His & Hers Honda PCX 150s
Old Dude

Post by Old Dude »

Thanks for the reply Capt. Jim. We usually get out to Phoenix on and off for three weeks or so at a time from October to May. We'll have to get a little experience in riding before we venture out in he Phoenix traffic. I'm sure we'll be using mostly secondary roads and trying to find the not so heavily traveled routes.
strkngfang
Regular User
Regular User

Post by strkngfang »

Welcome. You can't go wrong with either one, they're both a blast to ride!!
Dan
2015 Honda Forza- red
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Post by kramnala58 »

Old Dude wrote:If the deal goes through okay, will either leave them both here in Minnesota and/or possibly take one out to Phoenix and leave one here in Minnesota.
I would keep the 125 where you are going to do most of your urban riding and the 150 where you will do most of your open country riding when you will want more speed.
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
Old Dude

Post by Old Dude »

I did pick up the 150 today at a good pre-winter price from a private party. Just over 400 miles. I'm off tomorrow, Monday, to take the written test for the "leaner"s permit". It's getting colder here in Minnesota now so I'll probably only get a week to practice riding around town with it and then we are heading out to Phoenix for three weeks. By the time I get back in November it will be too cold and just put the 150 away for the winter. I'll go in the spring to get my regular motorcycle endorsement on my license.
~Cheap_Ride~
Regular User
Regular User

Post by ~Cheap_Ride~ »

Welcome from Sioux Falls, SD neighbor :)

You will enjoy the 150 tons. A great bike.
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Old Dude (really?) nah, we're all young and younger that's all. Welcome! The 150 cool! Now it's "yours....all yours!" Be safe testing the waters and do take the MSF course, it's such a valuable tool and builds up your confidence. You'll find It Really Counts when You're Riding ;)
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
Old Dude

Post by Old Dude »

I got the 150 out for the first time this afternoon and took my time and put on around four miles of mostly practicing some turns, stopping and starting and just a general familiarization of how it handles, etc. I'll be taking the MSF course in the spring. I believe it's over two days. I'm looking forward to that. Right now I have about five more days to practice and work with it before we leave for Arizona on Monday. We won't be back until the middle of November so too cold to do much more until spring. I'll be checking the forum pretty regularly to keep on top of what's going on.
dasshreddar
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: forzaruckuspcx
Color: black

Post by dasshreddar »

Old Dude wrote:I got the 150 out for the first time this afternoon and took my time and put on around four miles of mostly practicing some turns, stopping and starting and just a general familiarization of how it handles, etc. I'll be taking the MSF course in the spring. I believe it's over two days. I'm looking forward to that. Right now I have about five more days to practice and work with it before we leave for Arizona on Monday. We won't be back until the middle of November so too cold to do much more until spring. I'll be checking the forum pretty regularly to keep on top of what's going on.
Yeah the MSF course for me was a Thursday night and all day Saturday and Sunday.
Try coasting down some hills or driveways with the scoot off to get a feel for the weight.
The throttle is the tricky part. This is what helped me learn,just be gentle with your right hand and firm with you left( that goes for the brakes too).
good luck ;)
CaptnJim
Regular User
Regular User

Post by CaptnJim »

Old Dude wrote:Thanks for the reply Capt. Jim. We usually get out to Phoenix on and off for three weeks or so at a time from October to May. We'll have to get a little experience in riding before we venture out in he Phoenix traffic. I'm sure we'll be using mostly secondary roads and trying to find the not so heavily traveled routes.
We bought the PCXes while in Phoenix earlier this year. I/we have been riding motorcycles for 45 years, hadn't considered a scooter... until my wife said, "Let's get a couple scooters" in January. We've rented them when on vacation in Hawaii and the Cayman Islands, but that was "vacation fun." Never thought of 'em as an alternative to motorcycles.

I also never cared for city riding with our motorcycles. The Phoenix traffic is ugly. Like most big cities. Last time I hauled a motorcycle to Phoenix, I only rode it a few times, and that was out on the far west side of town. The last couple times there (our daughter and son-in-law live in Goodyear), I didn't even bother to bring the bike. I wasn't sure what we were going to do with these scooters... especially buying them in Arizona (not our home).

Turns out we rode 'em all over the Phoenix area... and avoided the Interstates and the 101 and 202. The traffic was less lousy on the side streets! You could actually rush somewhat during rush hour(s). We had a lot of fun there because of the scooters! Thus, the "Urban Adventure Cruising" comment.

Our daughter is the reason we go to Arizona (the winter weather is better in south Texas); but I'm actually looking forward to going back there again with the scoots. Hope you enjoy the PCX as much as we like ours.

Congrats on getting the PCX!

Captain Jim
His & Hers Honda PCX 150s
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

CaptnJim wrote:
Old Dude wrote:Thanks for the reply Capt. Jim. We usually get out to Phoenix on and off for three weeks or so at a time from October to May. We'll have to get a little experience in riding before we venture out in he Phoenix traffic. I'm sure we'll be using mostly secondary roads and trying to find the not so heavily traveled routes.
We bought the PCXes while in Phoenix earlier this year. I/we have been riding motorcycles for 45 years, hadn't considered a scooter... until my wife said, "Let's get a couple scooters" in January. We've rented them when on vacation in Hawaii and the Cayman Islands, but that was "vacation fun." Never thought of 'em as an alternative to motorcycles.

I also never cared for city riding with our motorcycles. The Phoenix traffic is ugly. Like most big cities. Last time I hauled a motorcycle to Phoenix, I only rode it a few times, and that was out on the far west side of town. The last couple times there (our daughter and son-in-law live in Goodyear), I didn't even bother to bring the bike. I wasn't sure what we were going to do with these scooters... especially buying them in Arizona (not our home).

Turns out we rode 'em all over the Phoenix area... and avoided the Interstates and the 101 and 202. The traffic was less lousy on the side streets! You could actually rush somewhat during rush hour(s). We had a lot of fun there because of the scooters! Thus, the "Urban Adventure Cruising" comment.

Our daughter is the reason we go to Arizona (the winter weather is better in south Texas); but I'm actually looking forward to going back there again with the scoots. Hope you enjoy the PCX as much as we like ours.

Congrats on getting the PCX!

Captain Jim
Same for myself and my wife. Tried a couple of scooters on holiday and thought "these are great"