USB Power and GPS

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

JLP
Color: None more black

USB Power and GPS

Post by JLP »

Hey,

Well I've got almost 2000 miles on the 150 now, and it has just been great.

Today I added a little avionics. I'm a cyclist, and I had this nice little waterproof GPS. I added a little bicycle accessory mount to the bars and put a waterproof USP outlet in as well. I ran the power from the switched tail light wiring in the rear. The brown wire is positive and the green is ground. I could have picked the power off of the main connector going to the dash, but I felt it a little less risky to splice into the tail light past the last connector.

Anyway, now I have a place to charge my phone or run the GPS.

It kind of looks like the GPS blocks the dash, but really it just blocks a bit of the high beam indicator.

It must be time for a scooter adventure.
Attachments
USB.JPG
USB.JPG (149.33 KiB) Viewed 2168 times
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Re: USB Power and GPS

Post by kramnala58 »

Good job. What is the cylinder looking object behind the Garmin unit? And what do you have covering in front of the handle bars? It looks like a bag of some sort. If it is, can we see a pic? Thx.
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
dustin91
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: Red

Post by dustin91 »

JLP, do you use Garmin's Base Camp software to plan out a route? Seems to be about the only solution I've found out there that should work, but I don't want to spend $700 on a Zumo if a $200 nuvi does the same thing, even if it isn't meant to be used outside a car. I don't want a GPS to show me the way home - my phone can do that - but I want one that will give me directions on a route I plan out ahead of time. Thanks!
JLP

Post by JLP »

The cylinder is a little mount used on bikes to add accessories.

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/min ... m-ec009105

I use bikeroutetoaster to make courses. It is a pretty tricky web program, but it works.

I'll add some better pictures. My gloves are sitting in front of the speedometer. The black cloth in front of the bars is a Tucano Urbano apron. I live in Seattle, and I leave it on for warmth and to keep dry.
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus

Post by kramnala58 »

JLP wrote:The black cloth in front of the bars is a Tucano Urbano apron. I live in Seattle, and I leave it on for warmth and to keep dry.
Ya, it was that apron I was wondering about. Thanks. Not that I would need one in Thailand, but I will look forward to seeing the picture.
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
prcpcx150

Post by prcpcx150 »

JLP wrote:Hey,

Well I've got almost 2000 miles on the 150 now, and it has just been great.

Today I added a little avionics. I'm a cyclist, and I had this nice little waterproof GPS. I added a little bicycle accessory mount to the bars and put a waterproof USP outlet in as well. I ran the power from the switched tail light wiring in the rear. The brown wire is positive and the green is ground. I could have picked the power off of the main connector going to the dash, but I felt it a little less risky to splice into the tail light past the last connector.

Anyway, now I have a place to charge my phone or run the GPS.

It kind of looks like the GPS blocks the dash, but really it just blocks a bit of the high beam indicator.

It must be time for a scooter adventure.

Why not phone's GPS
dustin91
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by dustin91 »

I haven't found a phone app that let's you plot a route first for adventure riding. Otherwise if I only need a destination, my phone is fine.
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus

Post by kramnala58 »

I downloaded the Garmin app to my iPhone and it works great. I haven't explored all of its options though
dustin91
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by dustin91 »

Garmin has a desktop app called BaseCamp, which lets you plot a route and send it to most of their GPS units. That's what I want, but I don't think the app has that functionality. With the unknown app costing like $50, but the known GPS running $150, I rather just get the GPS. Butt if you find out you *can* plot routes ahead of time, please PM me! I'd rather pocket the difference. [WINKING FACE]
cessna151
Regular User
Regular User

Post by cessna151 »

My garmin nuvi 855 has the feature to plan routes. Works pretty good for me. It's on page 13 of the manual: http://static.garmincdn.com/pumac//nuvi ... Manual.pdf
haildamage
Regular User
Regular User

Post by haildamage »

i think you will find that people who claim their phone is all they need have never owned a bike specific Garmin.

if you just need basic navigation a phone will work as long as you are within range of cell phone service, or you buy an app that stores all maps in the phone.

a bike model Garmin will route you down back roads, etc that a car Garmin unit will refuse to route down in my experience. however, my experience is with the roads in japan, so it is possible that they work differently in the US, although i doubt it.
JLP

Post by JLP »

Hey, I like the bike GPS because I already owned it, and it gives me some capability I don't have with the phone. First, even without the USB power, it will run for something like 16 hours on the battery. Second, I don't mind leaving it sitting in the rain. Third, I like the ability to plot routes and follow them as we do on long bike rides. Fourth, it doesn't need a cell connection for the maps (yes, you can do this with a phone too.) Lastly, I'm kind of a belt and suspenders guy, so it gives me redundancy with the phone mapping apps.

If I didn't already own it for cycling, I probably would think hard about buying it for this purpose, but it sure is nice.

Anyway, here I am all set up for my first road trip with the PCX. I'm doing about 700 miles round trip from outside Seattle to a friend's house southwest of Portland. I suspect many wet hours, but I honestly think I'm all set.

Should be fun. I'm rolling tomorrow.
Attachments
photo 2.JPG
photo 2.JPG (130.91 KiB) Viewed 1956 times
photo 1.JPG
photo 1.JPG (139.25 KiB) Viewed 1956 times
JLP

Post by JLP »

Oh, and I just moved the hump back a little less than an inch with the highly technical "drill a couple other holes" mod. It is perfect for me. And free. Free is nice. SInce I live where it rains all the time, I sealed up all the holes with silicone while I was at it. Nice.
dasshreddar
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: forzaruckuspcx
Color: black

Post by dasshreddar »

8) good luck and stay dry.
what route will you be taking?
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

JLP wrote:Hey, I like the bike GPS because I already owned it, and it gives me some capability I don't have with the phone. First, even without the USB power, it will run for something like 16 hours on the battery. Second, I don't mind leaving it sitting in the rain. Third, I like the ability to plot routes and follow them as we do on long bike rides. Fourth, it doesn't need a cell connection for the maps (yes, you can do this with a phone too.) Lastly, I'm kind of a belt and suspenders guy, so it gives me redundancy with the phone mapping apps.

If I didn't already own it for cycling, I probably would think hard about buying it for this purpose, but it sure is nice.

Anyway, here I am all set up for my first road trip with the PCX. I'm doing about 700 miles round trip from outside Seattle to a friend's house southwest of Portland. I suspect many wet hours, but I honestly think I'm all set.

Should be fun. I'm rolling tomorrow.
Bit of cling film or a sandwich bag can waterproof things nicely

I keep a couple doggie poo bags (unused) in my bike jackets to pop my phone or wallet in if it wees down. Pockets are rarely that waterproof in a prolonged downpour