Good upgrade bike

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

logepoge1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Good upgrade bike

Post by logepoge1 »

The pcx is my first motorcycle. I have the 125. Planning on upgrading to a bigger bike. Have never used a clutch before so how much harder is it to use it? Looking at the honda shadow motorcycles. Reason being that I feel like I am too tall for the scooter and the seat really gets uncomfortable. Plus there are several people around here selling shadows less than what I can sell the scooter for. Recommend any other bikes? Would get the forza but I'm just a college student(18) so really don't have enough money
ImageImage
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Re: Good upgrade bike

Post by gn2 »

Clutch control isn't difficult at all, you can learn how in less than five minutes.
Good first bikes...?
Any 250 you can find in good condition.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
jkhawaii
Regular User
Regular User

Post by jkhawaii »

It would help if you knew how to drive a car with a manual transmission.
logepoge1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by logepoge1 »

My mustang is automatic. I have a manual honda atv and on it I shift gears by listening to engine. I was thinking about a honda shadow. It has been recommended to me by some people who work for my school that ride the bigger bikes
ImageImage
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Post by kramnala58 »

Assuming that the ATV is a hand clutch (lever) and a foot shifter, there likely isn't any difference with a bike.
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
logepoge1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by logepoge1 »

It has no clutch. Just shift. I mean it wouldn't take me long to learn, just I don't currently know how
ImageImage
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

logepoge1 wrote:It has no clutch. Just shift. I mean it wouldn't take me long to learn, just I don't currently know how
You've just answered your own question really
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

How about a used Honda Rebel 250 (234cc)? I'm wondering which Shadow (& year) you're talking about, a 600 or 750? The Shadow's are a lot more muscle than a PCX, why not just alter your seat instead?
Hope you're able to test a shift bike out before purchasing one. You just might find you like automatics better (less to coordinate) ;)
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
katschamne
Regular User
Regular User

Post by katschamne »

I drove the Honda Rebel during my MSF course and I found it was too small for me. My husband bought a used Honda Shadow 600. It is a nice beginner bike but he found it too small being 6'3 and 280lbs. He did put forward controls on ot to give him more leg room. Next year he is planning on getting a larger bike but the Shadow was good to learn on. I didn't have a problem on the Rebel as far as it being more powerful then the PCX. Personally I think the PCX has more get up and go from 0-35 then the Rebel. After that then I'd say the Rebel has the PCX beat.

As far as learning to ride a motorcycle it's not that hard. I recommend the MSF course. They will teach you how to operate a motorcycle. It's a great course.
OriginalRocket
Regular User
Regular User

Post by OriginalRocket »

To get an Illinois state license for motorcycle endorsement you must pass on a clutched 250cc or greater motorcycle. I ride my PCX all the time, and just purchased a Dual clutch transmission (automatic shifting) nc 700x.
with that said, I ride my girlfriends CBR 250 once in a great while. Once you learn how to shift you won't forget.

You will be rusty at it though, my girlfriend can school me in smoothness anytime, but I can still shift and ride a standard style motorcycle.

I say go for it, but be weary about storage space. A scooter is king in that area.
logepoge1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by logepoge1 »

OriginalRocket wrote:To get an Illinois state license for motorcycle endorsement you must pass on a clutched 250cc or greater motorcycle. I ride my PCX all the time, and just purchased a Dual clutch transmission (automatic shifting) nc 700x.
with that said, I ride my girlfriends CBR 250 once in a great while. Once you learn how to shift you won't forget.

You will be rusty at it though, my girlfriend can school me in smoothness anytime, but I can still shift and ride a standard style motorcycle.

I say go for it, but be weary about storage space. A scooter is king in that area.
Storage space isn't much of a problem. The campus motorcycle parking is big and there is plenty of room. There are lots of shadows driven by students so I figured they would be popular. I would like to keep the scooter but would prefer more power I guess( not saying I'm gonna use it but I would prefer to know I had it to get out of bad situation). I guess I really don't know how to take off and come to a stop. I already emailed te honda dealership to see if I could testride one. They are good at teaching this stuff. They let me test drive a pcx in the parking lot(the 150, I have the 125) with no intention of buying it
ImageImage
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Storage space inside the scooter.....
Bikes are a pain in the arse for actual proper transport because there's nowhere to store your gear when you get where you're going.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
logepoge1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by logepoge1 »

gn2 wrote:Storage space inside the scooter.....
Bikes are a pain in the arse for actual proper transport because there's nowhere to store your gear when you get where you're going.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1380437327.654945.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1380437327.654945.jpg (76.01 KiB) Viewed 1580 times
Yes true. The scooter holds my supplies for my engineering tools quite well. Some of the shadows did come with the cases on them though and one even came with aftermarket exhaust that just hasn't been installed yet
ImageImage
Warlock

Post by Warlock »

A used Honda CBR250 or a Ninja 250. They can be found relatively cheaply. If you don't want to spend a lot of money to learn and get your feet wet. Clutch control takes practice and patience. Just like driving a stick shift car practice makes perfect, start out in an empty parking lot if possible, or on your drive way if you have one. Don't be afraid to use the throttle in a steady controlled motion. Relax your clutch hand don't strangle it or you will quickly fatigue your hand. Steadily release it until the bike is moving forward.
Practice practice practice. Then try it on a slight incline.... My best friend let me practice on his older Ducati with a dry clutch. Not the best way to learn. I will never forget that sound....or the look on his face..... :cry:
RED WUNZ GO FASTA
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

My first means of transportation was a Harley XLCH. I had never driven a car, let alone a bike. The guy that sold it to me taught me how to ride on a back rode. He had me ride up and down the rode in 1st gear for a little while. Then he had me shift thru the gears at low speed and stop. Then he taught me how to shift both ways, up and down. I started learning at around 10 in the morning and was riding fairly well by noon. The biggest problem is coordinating shifting with turning and stopping. Practice, practice, practice.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
dasshreddar
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: forzaruckuspcx
Color: black

Post by dasshreddar »

Take the MSF course and you will know if you like to shift or not...

As far as any bike seat goes MOD the shit out of it, who cares about looks! :x
Underseat storage who cares! Use a Backpack! :lol: :lol: :lol:
logepoge1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by logepoge1 »

Maddie dog if you read this you may want to move this to other bikes. It would fit better there. And I guess I could sign up for the safety course. They have one in a couple of weeks about 30 miles away. It is sponsored by the louisiana state police so I don't think it is msf.
ImageImage
~Cheap_Ride~
Regular User
Regular User

Post by ~Cheap_Ride~ »

The Honda CTX700N has optional automatic so you wouldnt have to learn the clutch, the riding position is nice too. The price tag is steep though at 8k