Hello from New Zealand.

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Gossamer

Hello from New Zealand.

Post by Gossamer »

Hello from Auckland, NZ. Picked up my new red PCX150 yesterday :D. Lovely scooter, still getting used to it. Had been riding a Honda NSC110 but decided to upsize to something that can handle the occasional motorway trips. Got it primarily for commuting but suspect it is capable of more. Interestingly, not many PCXs on the road in Auckland.
MichRocks
Regular User
Regular User

Re: Hello from New Zealand.

Post by MichRocks »

Welcome!!! From what I heard, you will love it. It is a beautiful bike.
Gossamer

Post by Gossamer »

Yes, hoping to take it for a longer ride this weekend, weather permitting. We're just into spring and it's been wet. I'm not entirely comfortable with riding an unfamiliar bike with new tyres on wet roads. That would be tempting fate.
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Happy Delivery Day and welcome aboard! I agree about new tires, be aware first 100 (?) miles, they can be slippery
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Post by kramnala58 »

G'day .... welcome to hondapcx.org
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
Pcxdemon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Pcxdemon »

But it always rains in Auckland NZ and its windy and its cold and..... :)
~Cheap_Ride~
Regular User
Regular User

Post by ~Cheap_Ride~ »

Pcxdemon wrote:But it always rains in Auckland NZ and its windy and its cold and..... :)

Thats why you ride faster to aviod the rain and wind... :lol:
strkngfang
Regular User
Regular User

Post by strkngfang »

Welcome, Gossamer & enjoy your nice red PCX!!
Dan
2015 Honda Forza- red
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

One of my favorite times during my travels was when I was in Auckland for a month in December. The weather was great and the people were great. I'd move there in a heartbeat if I could afford it. I was there while our icebreaker was being repaired in Wellington way back when. We were on our way to the Antarctic for 6 months. Congrats on your new PCX. You have the right scooter for that area, and after it is broken in you will be impressed by it even more. :-)
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Taz
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Taz »

I'm seeing more and more pcx's here and they are becoming popular with uni students. I'm sure NZ will get more and you need some power to get up those hills in and around Auckland. I will be there in a few weeks time for work, wish I could hire one!
Gossamer

Post by Gossamer »

Took it out for a short ride today (between the rain showers) and I am super impressed with its handling. Still running it in so taking it easy. We have the Idle Stop version here and it's a neat little feature, although will take a little getting used to. Wierd feeling sitting at the lights and intersections with the engine stopped. Have this fear that nothing's going to happen when it's time to get going. Still have my Ducati for out of town rides but wondering if the PCX will be just as much fun. We shall see when it's run in. Yes, MEL46, NZ's close to Motorcycling Heaven. Have done pretty much all of the North Island and the South Island to Queenstown and the West Coast. Seriously considering riding to the Burt Munroe in Invercargill in 2015. Maybe not on the PCX!
Scottish
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Scottish »

Gossamer wrote:Took it out for a short ride today (between the rain showers) and I am super impressed with its handling. Still running it in so taking it easy. We have the Idle Stop version here and it's a neat little feature, although will take a little getting used to. Wierd feeling sitting at the lights and intersections with the engine stopped. Have this fear that nothing's going to happen when it's time to get going. Still have my Ducati for out of town rides but wondering if the PCX will be just as much fun. We shall see when it's run in. Yes, MEL46, NZ's close to Motorcycling Heaven. Have done pretty much all of the North Island and the South Island to Queenstown and the West Coast. Seriously considering riding to the Burt Munroe in Invercargill in 2015. Maybe not on the PCX!
Apparently using the idlestop aint too good for the battery, a few times in the past I've been at a set of lights twisted the throttle and the unimaginable horror happened...absolutely nothing o_O

I now have it off permanently, I'd rather have peace of mind knowing i'm going to pull away, than saving a teaspoon of petrol every hundred miles. 8)
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Scottish wrote:
Gossamer wrote:Took it out for a short ride today (between the rain showers) and I am super impressed with its handling. Still running it in so taking it easy. We have the Idle Stop version here and it's a neat little feature, although will take a little getting used to. Wierd feeling sitting at the lights and intersections with the engine stopped. Have this fear that nothing's going to happen when it's time to get going. Still have my Ducati for out of town rides but wondering if the PCX will be just as much fun. We shall see when it's run in. Yes, MEL46, NZ's close to Motorcycling Heaven. Have done pretty much all of the North Island and the South Island to Queenstown and the West Coast. Seriously considering riding to the Burt Munroe in Invercargill in 2015. Maybe not on the PCX!
Apparently using the idlestop aint too good for the battery, a few times in the past I've been at a set of lights twisted the throttle and the unimaginable horror happened...absolutely nothing o_O

I now have it off permanently, I'd rather have peace of mind knowing i'm going to pull away, than saving a teaspoon of petrol every hundred miles. 8)

I could imagine it, although I'd describe it as a major inconvenience not horror

Hasn't happened to me though
GeorgeSK
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 13PCX,15Forza
Color: Both Red

Post by GeorgeSK »

I would second major inconvenience. I assume that you can just get a friendly motorist with jumper cables to give you a boost? I haven't actually looked at the battery to see how big a PITA it would be to get to with conventional (big) jumpers.

Or do you call the hook to get it home to your trusty charger?
On my scoot, getting there is WAY more than half the fun!

Please paste this address into a new tab and add yourself to the map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1NlP7xk7KMdJReQnm-iDhldFBdpQ&ll=4.995760578398276%2C0&z=2
but please, don't delete anybody, no matter how badly they deserve deleting :)
Scottish
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Scottish »

Anger and embarrassment is what you feel, getting home was just a case of waiting for 45 mins before it started again.
ScooterKim
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by ScooterKim »

Welcome to our site, Gossamer! you will feel at home with all these good people here. Enjoy the ride!
Stejay
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Stejay »

Hey and welcome. I still have a week or 2 before mine arrives. I really wanted white or else I would have already been riding for 6 weeks!
Motomart in Lower Hutt told me that Honda told them it would be "end of September or early October but probably early October because they know what Honda is like" or what ever that means!
I have only seen 1 black one in Wellington but I think these will really take off with their features and price.
I have already bought the medium size Givi windscreen (smoke colour) and a clock from clocks4bikes and I just can't wait to get going.
I just moved down from Aucks so I guess I won't see you around. :)
Gossamer

Post by Gossamer »

Hi Stejay, not quite sure how to post with the "Stejay wrote" followed by "Gossamer wrote" so just replying in general.

Good to see someone else from NZ on the Forum. I've only put 100km on the scooter but have to say that the PCX is a a real dream to ride. It's just the right size to keep up with traffic and the occasional motorway trip. I'm presently messing around with rigging up a helmet lock for my Shark helmet which does not have the double-D strap. Might post some photos if I'm successful.

Where did you purchase the Givi screen from? And the price, if I may ask? I have considered attaching a Givi top-box but it means drilling 4 holes into the grab rail. Have to seriously think about that. PCX Commuter posted the installation process in great detail. This will be a great help when I pluck up enough courage to drill those holes. The clock idea sounds good.

And I have to agree with ScooterKim, all the posts on this Forum have been very friendly and informative. I hope I can contribute in the future.