How-To: Replace A Headlight Bulb

Maintenance, guides, and walkthroughs for your PCX. Please do not post questions about repairing or fixing your bike here.

Moderator: Modsquad

kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

How-To: Replace A Headlight Bulb

Post by kramnala58 »

I just replaced m headlamp bulbs. Here's what I learned/did. I chose to replace both bulbs at the same time because: a) if one went how long would it be before the next one would burn out, and 2) I did not use OEM bulbs, so I wanted to be sure that they matched.

1. Put the PCX on it's center stand as you want to be moving the front wheel/fender/forks out of the way as you work.

2. Access to the bulbs is available by reaching behind the headlight assembly above the front fender. It is quite difficult to see under there, particularly when your hand(s) need to be in the way. You may want to use a light to take a look in order to get a feel for the layout of the wiring.

3. Each bulb is protected by a rubber boot/hub. The boot/hub pulls off with a bit of wiggling.

4. Push and twist the wiring harness. It twists about a fifth of a turn counterclockwise (left). You will feel it push in and as you twist it, it will unlock. Even though it will come loose, you may need to wiggle it a bit to fully remove it.

5. Move the harness out of the way then take hold of the back of the bulb and twist it about a fifth of a turn counterclockwise (left) and remove it.

6. You will notice that the wiring harness has three small tabs sticking out of the base and the bulb has a single tab sticking out of its base. The position of these is important to get everything seated back into place properly.

7. To install the new bulb, point the small tab to 12 o'clock, insert it in the opening and turn the tab to about 1 o'clock. It will be somewhat loose, but it will stay in place. Remember to wear cotton gloves if you are handling a halogen bulb because getting body oil on the glass surface drastically reduces the bulbs life span.

8. Take the wiring harness and point the three small tabs to 10 o'clock, 2 o'clock and 6 o'clock (if I recall correctly). Press it in firmly against the bulb and give it a slight twist clockwise (right).

9. Check to make sure that the bulb is working in both the high and low beam settings. Mine was not working in the low beam position. I re-seated it and was was okay. I don't think I had the harness properly seated.

10. Replace the rubber boot/hood by pressing it on as you wiggle it a bit.

11. Repeat the procedure for the other bulb.
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
dasshreddar
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: forzaruckuspcx
Color: black

Re: Replacing A Headlight Bulb

Post by dasshreddar »

Pictures please :lol: , aren't the Thailand headlight bulbs different than the US headlight bulbs?
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Excellent kram! Well said :P This will be a big help when mine blow. (For Das :lol: ), I have a picture from the manual to share too
image.jpg
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus

Post by kramnala58 »

From the look of the picture Whitenoise, it does look like Thai bulbs are different than US ones (and possibly the rest of the world too) :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
OriginalRocket
Regular User
Regular User

Post by OriginalRocket »

They are. USA and WORLD bulbs are a 30/35watt halogen bulbs. I've read many posts about how much the Thais complain about the crappy dim bulbs they get. I think they are standard filament 25/25 watt.

I want to get an HID kit for the PCX as at night I don't think it is enough light for the speeds I ride.
dustin91
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: Red

Re: How To: Replace A Headlight Bulb

Post by dustin91 »

Bumping... I bought two replacement bulbs that are supposed to be a little brighter than the stock. FOR THE LIFE OF ME, I could not get the existing bulbs out. I could see why they need to turn to be removed, but they just would not budge at all. Hard enough reaching underneath the wheel well to access them, and I just couldn't produce enough torque to twist them free. I think I'll ask my shop to replace them when I take in my 150 for the 2,500 mile service. Oh well!
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus

Post by kramnala58 »

dustin91 wrote:Bumping... I bought two replacement bulbs that are supposed to be a little brighter than the stock. FOR THE LIFE OF ME, I could not get the existing bulbs out. I could see why they need to turn to be removed, but they just would not budge at all. Hard enough reaching underneath the wheel well to access them, and I just couldn't produce enough torque to twist them free. I think I'll ask my shop to replace them when I take in my 150 for the 2,500 mile service. Oh well!
Sorry to hear about your struggle. I had a challenge with mine to because of the limited space, but eventually I got it. I would agree that having the shop do it while it is in for service anyway, is probably the less stressful way to take care of it.
dBusteR

Post by dBusteR »

I am looking to install one of those garage door openers, a flash2pass unit. It ties into the headlight wiring and is activated from flashing your highbeam. On my Vulcan I mounted it in the headlight bucket but on our PCX 150 that is somewhat different.

Is there a housing that the headlight is housed in that I could connect and stash the unit? Anyone have any photos of this area? Maybe a diagram from a service manual or any type of diagram showing how the plastic is taken apart to get to the headlight area?

thanks in advance.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

OriginalRocket wrote:They are. USA and WORLD bulbs are a 30/35watt halogen bulbs. I've read many posts about how much the Thais complain about the crappy dim bulbs they get. I think they are standard filament 25/25 watt.

I want to get an HID kit for the PCX as at night I don't think it is enough light for the speeds I ride.

40mph?
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

On the subject of headlights, I think I read that the turn signal light socks are empty on the American version. Does it take a special wiring harness to get the turn signals for those sockets?
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
wolfpaws2

Post by wolfpaws2 »

Krammnala, I too wanted to replace the OEM bulbs on my PCX. I found some bright HS5 30/35 watt bulbs on eBay for $25 a pair and followed your instructions to a "T". Had my new bulbs installed in 15 minutes! They are much brighter, thank you for the detailed instructions. Next will be to install a fender eliminator kit. Someone has a nice LED one for sale on eBay for $125. :)
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus

Post by kramnala58 »

Glad I could be of help ... I had forgotten that I had posted those instructions.
djcat
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2012
Color: Black

Post by djcat »

wolfpaws2 wrote:Krammnala, I too wanted to replace the OEM bulbs on my PCX. I found some bright HS5 30/35 watt bulbs on eBay for $25 a pair and followed your instructions to a "T". Had my new bulbs installed in 15 minutes! They are much brighter, thank you for the detailed instructions. Next will be to install a fender eliminator kit. Someone has a nice LED one for sale on eBay for $125. :)
Where did you get those bulbs? Do you have a link?
foggyhelmet
Regular User
Regular User

Post by foggyhelmet »

No wonder I feel like I need to keep the brights on 24/7.

:| Sidenote: makes me want to add a flashlight to my miner's cap
k2apache6.0
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by k2apache6.0 »

Thanks guys, doing this weekend, great info
My PCX mod build here..
http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7113
k2apache6.0
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by k2apache6.0 »

k2apache6.0 wrote:Thanks guys, doing this weekend, great info
So just done them and as one poster commented they are tight, I used a small flat blade screwdriver to carefully push on a flat to get them started, now I have brighter lights. The make was Prosense, HS5, color approx 5,500k white/blue, got them on ebay a week ago but the listing seems to have ended for now. But here's a video he uploaded to youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-mZLe1FfIE
My PCX mod build here..
k2apache6.0
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by k2apache6.0 »

OK, for anyone who's interested here's the ebay seller link, he re-listed them
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-PCX-150-P ... 15?vxp=mtr
My PCX mod build here..
Ishkabibble
Regular User
Regular User
Color: Black

Post by Ishkabibble »

k2apache6.0 wrote:OK, for anyone who's interested here's the ebay seller link, he re-listed them
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-PCX-150-P ... 15?vxp=mtr
Anyone ever do a review of these? If they did, I can't find them. I'd love to get my mitts on them, but not without knowing if they'll work well and properly on a 2013. Only the best for my Natasha!
I found something to put here.
Add yourself to the PCX-Forza Owner's Map!
Go here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ULV6Ib-uKsjMpWaPzPwAXmfB7vU&usp=sharing
For instructions how to add yourself go here: http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6437#p88888

Be sure to add your Model, year, color, and name if your scoot has one!
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

The above link(s) have been re-listed again. Here's today's (7/8/16):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-PCX-150-P ... 40?vxp=mtr

k2 have you installed yours yet? Your reply and info is Not for me, but for a new member asking about changing out headlight bulbs to LEDs. I will link him to this thread so he can follow it.
Thanks for helping :)
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
chicaboo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by chicaboo »

Since the description and title don't match, are the eBay bulbs 35/33W or 35/30W?